Bears @ Bills - Preseason Game 1 - SAT 08/10 - 1 PM

27 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Optimism is always refreshing, but consider Morse and McGovern were part of an O-line that has been changed. Dawkins said himself he hasn’t been with the same LG for more than a year and affects production.

I like Morse, but never thought he was suited to the kind of running plays they wanted to lean into. He was great at those pin and pull blocks out in space which is not easy for centers to do, but less so the gap blocks and moving bodies with leverage.

He also struggled holding up in pass pro against those big tackles every one of the AFC East teams we face had on their roster.

Wilkins (now gone), Quinnen Williams, and Barmore. It was not a fluke that those teams invested in those guys.

There was also the salary locked up in him and there just comes a time when a front office has to consider retooling with affordable rookie deals, and that kid VPG from Georgia I expect will be groomed to take over at some point.

The main concern I have with Connor is getting his timing and the long snaps down with Allen.

It would be nice if Dawkins could have the luxury of consistent LG play next to him, and I think that leads to better results but he has adapted to changes there before.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What would they change?   Part of the reason they get away with charging full price for the games is that they could tell a court that they are technically the same product as the regular season.   60 minutes of competitive football.   There are no guarantees that any particular player will play in ANY game.   Sometimes late season games turn into preseason quality games too.   So the idea of playing differently formatted games, for instance, might undermine their racket.  

You seem to see everything as it is and not realize that the game is almost unrecognizable from what professional football was just a few years ago. I’m pretty sure the NFL will figure out a way to make money. They always have and always will. That’s what a business does. (Heck, they’re charging fans $20,000 a seat right across the street, and that doesn’t even include the additional price to actually SIT IN IT! 😂)

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You seem to see everything as it is and not realize that the game is almost unrecognizable from what professional football was just a few years ago. I’m pretty sure the NFL will figure out a way to make money. They always have and always will. That’s what a business does. (Heck, they’re charging fans $20,000 a seat right across the street, and that doesn’t even include the additional price to actually SIT IN IT! 😂)

No, you don't seem to see how it is.  How are they going to create more value than a near capacity paid crowd of a broadcast NFL game?   Every other sports league would like to know how to make one of their regular season games as profitable as an NFL preseason game.   And if it doesn't involve putting hard mileage on the players.......why wouldn't they just do that additionally?  Yeah, there are lot's of ways for the NFL to make money now and I am sure they will create many more but this one is like found money even if it annoys some fans.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah- a “proven” failure with Darnold, Teddy, pj Walker and cam Newton…..

His offensive coordination in Carolina was…… Offensive.

He’s seemingly another penny ante “next guy up” to have the QB of a lifetime to coach.
  Last year doesn’t count as Brady was thrown into a crap situation. This year it’s all him. Hopefully, he hits the ground running and has grown into this role but regardless of what many on this board seem to think, he doesn’t have a great track record.

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A distinction without much of a difference.  I'll rephrase my statement though:  back in the day when they were going to Super Bowls the Bills had plenty of preseason games in which the level of play was bad.

We also had rosters that had multiple Hall of Famers on them. At DE, WR, RB, OL. Bruce never played in the preseason and we didn’t really care about the games because they were gamers.

We have Josh and Von as the only HOF players and a bunch of JAGS with a couple pro bowlers.

Apples to Oranges 

Regarding the starters/beginning of the game

Not too worried about the offense as they will be fine as long as Josh Allen is QB 

The defense was worrying a bit because they never really picked up on anything the bears were doing and the bears offense was very repetitive in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Regarding the starters/beginning of the game

Not too worried about the offense as they will be fine as long as Josh Allen is QB 

The defense was worrying a bit because they never really picked up on anything the bears were doing and the bears offense was very repetitive in my opinion 

I could pick up 3rd and long against our secondary. That's not a new thing . Not sure if it's our players or defensive scheme but suspect the former.

5 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

This has been my knock on Sean, he has yet to provide an O -line that can support arguably the best arm talent QB in football. Couple that with his game day decision making and you have a team that comes up short every season.

I have faith in Kromer

Brady gives me hope

Thats all I got

5 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

This has been my knock on Sean, he has yet to provide an O -line that can support arguably the best arm talent QB in football. Couple that with his game day decision making and you have a team that comes up short every season.

An ok coach but not a great one.......oh, in my opinion that's true of the GM. Let's see if the next few seasons prove my opinion correct or incorrect.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

His offensive coordination in Carolina was…… Offensive.

He’s seemingly another penny ante “next guy up” to have the QB of a lifetime to coach.
  Last year doesn’t count as Brady was thrown into a crap situation. This year it’s all him. Hopefully, he hits the ground running and has grown into this role but regardless of what many on this board seem to think, he doesn’t have a great track record.

Could be right.  I’m not sold on him- the jury is still out.  I was just refuting the claim that he’s a proven failure to date.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We also had rosters that had multiple Hall of Famers on them. At DE, WR, RB, OL. Bruce never played in the preseason and we didn’t really care about the games because they were gamers.

We have Josh and Von as the only HOF players and a bunch of JAGS with a couple pro bowlers.

Apples to Oranges 

Fair enough but do you think today's Bills care any more then the old Bills whether they win or lose these games?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, you were wrong.   You were trying to refute my point that players and owners both profit from the preseason games and that's why they exist.

You clearly hadn't thought it thru.

If you make a roster you benefit financially from preseason AND postseason games.   Whether you play in them or not.  Because the cap is based on gross revenue not just regular season revenue.   When you get the paycheck is irrelevant.  If you work at a company that issues checks every other week did you not get paid for the other week where you didn't receive a "check"?  

My point is fact and stands.

And the Bills sold approximately 64,000 tickets for that game yesterday and the game was nationally televised live on NFLN.   These games draw big ratings.   It's 8 figures into the shared revenue pool for each game no matter how you slice it.    Spread that over 49 preseason games.    It's very significant and the easiest money the owners and players earn.

I yield. Everything you said is correct.

But....

NFL TV deal $110 Billion over 11 years. 

NFL ticket sales for preseason games is a rounding error in the income ledger. As in the $6.5M in ticket sales from yesterday represents 0.065% of the revenue they get from one year of the TV deal.  

welcome back to the game watch TBD style. Same as they ever were.

We are a very invested fan base who want Perfection, Execution and dominance in all 3 aspects of football . Those being offense defense special teams .

bottom line from the coaches to the players we want and expect excellence.

we didn't see that on Saturday so we are miffed.

its totally understandable expected and predictable.

steady as she goes  faithful. This is just the beginning

Always seems like McDermott's teams bottom-out once each season; usually a mid-seasonish, two-game swoon where all arrows are pointed dramatically downward. And then they go on a run that is ultimately flawed but resilient and they even begin to look dangerous again before of course falling short to a more aggressive rival.

Maybe they're just getting it out of the way earlier in 2024. Before it counts. You know. Maybe it's good that they look bad now LOL fanhood is inherently dumb for so many.

• Haha (+1) 1

Roger Goodell/NFL Offices must love Sean McDermott.

Their marketing team figured out a long time ago that scoring/offense and QBs sell tickets and advertising revenue. And NO ONE makes QBs look better than Sean McDermott.

Whether it's Easton Stick, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, or Caleb Williams making his debut - McD gonna let them cook. (expect Tua, lol Dolphins)

(that said, its just preseason and I'm really not worried at all. Two different teams at two very different stages working on very different things)

I am curious to see if the starters see any playing time against the Steelers. This is probably the last game they would play before Arizona. The last preseason game the starters usually sit with week 1 up next.

Edited by Gregg

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Fair enough but do you think today's Bills care any more then the old Bills whether they win or lose these games?

It looks like they don’t but there is an argument to be made that they should considering the turnover on the roster.

• Agree 1