Bears @ Bills - Preseason Game 1 - SAT 08/10 - 1 PM

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I guess the game plan was not to show them or the NFL anything.  They succeeded   LOL

It's the ultimate in preseason cope 

Let's hope they are sharp week 1, because the early schedule is daunting 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Simply a terrible showing. If there’s anything to be gleaned from this it’s the glaring lack of depth -but the starters looked very poor as well. Fans should demand a refund. Nothing about this performance gives hope for a team in major transition. Jmo.…

That take'll be popular around here 

• Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I would only resign a RB if I thought he was a franchise player…

Cook is good, don’t get me wrong…But he has far too many holes in his game to justify taking up a big chunk of the salary cap imo…

And I certainly don’t think it is justified giving him $13-15 mil per, which is probably what it would require by the time his rookie deal is up…👍

I agree-  cook will move on after his contract-  although I don’t think he’s going to get that kind of money. I think he’ll get something closer to what Miles Sanders got with Carolina-  around 8M aav.  I don’t see the RB market going up very much

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Simply a terrible showing. If there’s anything to be gleaned from this it’s the glaring lack of depth -but the starters looked very poor as well. Fans should demand a refund. Nothing about this performance gives hope for a team in major transition. Jmo.…

Correct.  Nothing in this game gives us hope….and I didn’t expect anything to give us hope.  

my only take aways from this game-

-the OL could be a big concern.  
-our WRs are going to be gangbusters blocking downfield. 

-Shane Buechele is terrible.

- most of guys that are going to get cut should be cut. 

Brady and Babich will make it break our season-  that was my belief going into the game and nothing has changed or had a possibility to change after the game.  It’s week 1 preseason 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

Pulled a double so just sat down to watch the game. I know it’s the first game of the preseason and people here are trying hard to stay positive but I saw some very concerning things here. Obviously we’re keeping it simple but the secondary struggled mightily just to know where they were supposed to be in certain situations. We were not gap sound defensively. The O line was one thing I was actually pretty confident in and they were horrible at recognizing even the most basic of blitzes. I’m not full on sky is falling but that was a very, very bad way to open the year. Let’s hope over the next few weeks they can remember how to football 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Specifically the throws to Coleman, I don't think the throws were the problem. The DB was forced to be very physical against Coleman and I think at least the second attempt was a clear DPI, otherwise Coleman could've easily gotten it. The DB held him down from behind.

I'd like to see Coleman win those first with his route running instead of his physicality, and then win with his physicality at the end of the route if needed.

If he's physical at the beginning of the route, the ref is going to see that and let go a physical response from the DB.

So, win the rep with his route running and then if the DB gets physical to compensate, he'll have a better chance to get the PI call.

I thought the second one was super close-  could’ve gone either way, due to where the throw was.  If it was out in front of him, it’s an easy TD.   Instead, the throw forced Keon into the defensive back.  After watching it several times, I think the db plays through the ball.  Some contact, but the throw forced the contact imo.  

• Agree 1

They were down 27-0 against the Steelers after three quarters in the second preseason game (last year), both sides of the line were blown up, offense was sluggish, defense was ran through, etc. 

Preseason doesn’t reveal much, just stay healthy, move onto the real games. 

Edited by KellyToTasker
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

They were down 27-0 against the Steelers after three quarters in the second preseason game (last year), both sides of the line were blown up, offense was sluggish, defense was ran through, etc. 

All true, but it comes back to what I said about preseason then…”what is the point of all this”? If as many said the point is to evaluate players on the back end of the roster, good luck with that! That performance was nothing short of terrible all around and unless the coaching staff has a high power microscope I’ll be shocked if they’re able to find any semblance of a diamond in the rough. Let’s hope there isn’t paint left on the locker room walls. 

Our O-line is the biggest question mark facing this team. If McGovern cannot make a transition without a drop off, and Edwards cannot adequately replace McGovern at guard, how can we effectively present a run heavy threat to dominate with the passing game. As it is we’re throwing out all new receivers except for Shakir. Sooner or later Dawkins will show some real decline if he hasn’t already and our depth is just ordinary. I predict the rookie will be the center with McGovern back at guard before mid season.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

All true, but it comes back to what I said about preseason then…”what is the point of all this”? If as many said the point is to evaluate players on the back end of the roster, good luck with that! That performance was nothing short of terrible all around and unless the coaching staff has a high power microscope I’ll be shocked if they’re able to find any semblance of a diamond in the rough. Let’s hope there isn’t paint left on the locker room walls. 

Why do people still ask this?    It's MONEY.   Revenue.   They have been selling tickets for and now broadcasting all of 20 game seasons for 60 some years now.  Being preseason allows the owners and players to make money and use mostly camp fodder to do so in 6 of those games until 1978 and then 4 of those games........and now 3 of those games and soon 2 of those games.   

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There is no point, that's the point. 

I know I'm a broken record but COVID proved you don't need preseason games. They couldn't figure out Wyatt Teller was a future probowl player in real games let alone preseason games. 

Everyone relax. If they suck this year these preseason games won't have anything to do with it. 

Playing Arizona week 1 is like Ohio State playing Bowling Green. Should be a good get right week 1 win. Get some solid reps for the backups. Let Elam play some man to man on MHJr. Get a few sacks to pad the defense stats as McD does. Then move on to week 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why do people still ask this?    It's MONEY.   Revenue.   They have been selling tickets for and now broadcasting all of 20 game seasons for 60 some years now.  Being preseason allows the owners and players to make money and use mostly camp fodder to do so in 6 of those games until 1978 and then 4 of those games........and now 3 of those games and soon 2 of those games.   

Players don't get paid for preseason games

They only get game checks for regular season games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You can look at it like that.  

Shane Buechele and the backup OL were god awful 💯.  If you think that this will impact our season, you have every right to be upset.  

The bears had 6 points with 8 minutes left in the 3rd qtr.  13 going into the 4th. The defense wasn’t terrible for 3 quarters.  The depth that matters on D got stops. Zero Tds given up.  It wasn’t nearly as bad as the final score- 21 points (7 on d) vs 95%+ of players that won’t be on the team in a few weeks.  

The giants beat the lions.  The titans beat the niners.  The jags beat the chiefs.  The Bucs beat the bengals.  None of this matters.  It’s my opinion that the biggest reason preseason games still exist is $.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly 👌 

1 hour ago, Gman10 said:

I think you guys are putting too much weight on a pre-season game. Why get crazy or risk injury/fatigue for a game that means absolutely nothing

Some people just like to cry and whine

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Players don't get paid for preseason games

Incorrect.

The salary cap is based on a revenue split between owners and the NFLPA that INCLUDES preseason revenues.   Which is SIGNIFICANT money.   If you were a season ticket holder you would know that we have to pay for those games whether attended or not.   20 games played is a fundamental aspect of the CBA.  That is unlikely to EVER change.   When they go to 18 there will still be 2 preseason games.

If the preseason was played with 53 man rosters they would HAVE TO issue game checks.   They don't because there is an understanding that the owners and actual players don't want to split revenues with those who aren't good enough to make teams.   Once you make the roster,  that preseason tv and ticket revenue is included in the basis for the salary cap which is in turn the basis the contract was negotiated and the game checks the players receive.    

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gman10 said:

I think you guys are putting too much weight on a pre-season game. Why get crazy or risk injury/fatigue for a game that means absolutely nothing

Exactly.   Training camp and preseason games don't often tell you anything that wasn't already known.   What tells you THE MOST is past performance.

As usual, we already had about 90% of the information we needed about these players before OTA's even began.

The negative variance(injuries, player decline) account for much of what we didn't know.

The the positive variance is RARELY proven washouts, injury busts and wash-ups flipping the script........it's mostly a few rookies and second year players stepping up.

Some people just don't like admitting this in the spring so they point to camp and demand that the roster isn't judged until the season is in process etc..   

Basically there are two good times to evaluate:

1) What the roster you take to camp looks like.

2) The autopsy.      

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

Post of the thread.  And last years Steeler preseason debacle was in the 2nd preseason game which is supposedly the "important" one.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would rather have a mistake-prone first outing where as a coach you have the players attention. You can identify areas where you need to tighten the thumb screws on preparation, proper technique, and execution.

You can find those things even on basic vanilla plays. And we have a lot of new drafted, udfa, or cast off players.

The main goal is to evaluate players for roster cuts in live action at NFL speed, off the practice field. And we all know you want to get out of preseason without losing starters to freak injury.

Better than coming out with scripted plays and winning the preseason and having a false sense of confidence that gets you smoked in regular season.

I thought with all the rule changes and new bodies STs had the potential to be a cluster, and yep it needs work.

Was only really surprised by the OL lack of push in the run game and folks can always see the drop-off from what Allen makes happen when we dip into our QB depth.

Always felt Allen had a bit of a slow trigger holding the ball, but lordy his backups made me appreciate his decisiveness and pocket presence.

The DL interior had a lot of inexperience manning the gaps, especially when Oliver left and with DQ out and it showed. Not a lot of push and when they did get penetration they were not gap sound.

That middle screen Chicago called that gained a chunk, just took advantage of that DL frustration to leak their RB out for the shovel. Preseason, but a good call at the right time.

Looking forward to Marino's All-22 review.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I would rather have a mistake-prone first outing where as a coach you have the players attention. You can identify areas where you need to tighten the thumb screws on preparation, proper technique, and execution.

You can find those things even on basic vanilla plays. And we have a lot of new drafted, udfa, or cast off players.

The main goal is to evaluate players for roster cuts in live action at NFL speed, off the practice field. And we all know you want to get out of preseason without losing starters to freak injury.

Better than coming out with scripted plays and winning the preseason and having a false sense of confidence that gets you smoked in regular season.

I thought with all the rule changes and new bodies STs had the potential to be a cluster, and yep it needs work.

Was only really surprised by the OL lack of push in the run game and folks can always see the drop-off from what Allen makes happen when we dip into our QB depth.

Always felt Allen had a bit of a slow trigger holding the ball, but lordy his backups made me appreciate his decisiveness and pocket presence.

The DL interior had a lot of inexperience manning the gaps, especially when Oliver left and with DQ out and it showed. Not a lot of push and when they did get penetration they were not gap sound.

That middle screen Chicago called that gained a chunk, just took advantage of that DL frustration to leak their RB out for the shovel. Preseason, but a good call at the right time.

Looking forward to Marino's All-22 review.

Didn't the Bills have a combined 4 - 12 preseason record the years they went to 4 straight Super Bowls? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1