Bears @ Bills - Preseason Game 1 - SAT 08/10 - 1 PM

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree.  @Brianmoorman4jesus needs to chill.

It's 1 preseason game. Bears already had 1 preseason game under their belt coming in.  Bears also looked more versatile on offense,we were super vanilla/not showing anything.

By all accounts, we've been running a lot of pre snap motion, various looks in the backfield and playcalls in training camp.

This was a "let's just go 1-1" and see what happens.  No scheming, no exotic blitz looks (a gap pressure shown in camp, etc) 

No injuries, is the biggest bonus IMO.  6-3 halftime score, the route began when we were well into our 3rd/4th string guys (80% plus will be cut).  

Preseason never matters.  Go look at Steeler preseason LY, Pickett ate us up as did their defense.  But Pickett and the offense was trash, and Dorsey said post-game we were trying more 7 step drops.

I'm sure McD wasn't pleased with execution, but who cares right now.  

Cardinal game is when it matters

Agree about preseason.  The only thing I saw any good was some WRs, but the OL was so bad the QBs did not have much time

to give the WRs many decent balls to catch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’ve been suspended for pretty much the last 3 weeks because I say bad things about our coach and other players. I must refrain from speaking badly in a bills message board that is designed for conversation. Because god forbid we don’t all agree. 

im sure ill be suspended for this as well. Because im speaking out about it. Probably for the entire season this time. 

so I hope everyone enjoys the season. 

"Playing the biggest victim card of all time"

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Once the starters are out and even past 2nd string, think there's a big advantage to Bears having already played a game, particularly WRT special teams.  Aside from Martin, Many of these guys toward bottom of roster may never have even played ST.

Wonder too do coaching staffs sometimes try to get embarrassed in pre-season game to use as a wake up call?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

Glad I decided to stay home and pays some bills, instead of going to the game the watch the Bills. 

At least you got some goods & services and, presumably, some entertainment for the money you were shelling out today. The fans in attendance today can't say the same.

19 minutes ago, Billl said:

He was abysmal.

Cool to see that even after a couple of SB titles, you're still so obsessed w/ Buffalo that you watch an entire preseason game & exaggerate about a player's performance.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Glad I decided to stay home and pays some bills, instead of going to the game the watch the Bills. 

This was my first NFL test for my new OLED TV.  That went well. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

Cool to see that even after a couple of SB titles, you're still so obsessed w/ Buffalo that you watch an entire preseason game & exaggerate about a player's performance.

It’s cool that you literally didn’t watch the game but you think you know more about it than someone who did.  You read the thread.  It was clear from the comments that he was terrible.  You asked the question hoping to get a different answer, but you got the truth instead.  He had two full-on shanks.  That’s a bad day for a punter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's preseason and there are 90 players on the team.  McDermott needs to get on the position coaches for this mess more than anything.

It's like half the team didn't know what they were doing.

There is always a lot to blame a HC on but having a team not ready to play a preseason game goes WAY beyond him.

Do you honestly think that? 

I mean I find all kinds of ways to criticize McDermott but you are going to criticize him for preseason roster bottom feeder performance???

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Do you honestly think that? 

I mean I find all kinds of ways to criticize McDermott but you are going to criticize him for preseason roster bottom feeder performance???

What are you talking about?  I said the position coaches need to take the brunt of this.  A HC doesn't control preseadon games.

McDermott needs to get on his boys for this showing.

Read what I wrote.  LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

What are you talking about?  I said the position coaches need to take the brunt of this.  A HC doesn't control preseadon games.

McDermott needs to get on his boys for this showing.

Read what I wrote.  LOL.

I did.

A HC doesn't control preseason games? Not sure what that even means.

That said, all I meant was I wouldn't take anything from this. It's meaningless. 

During the SuperBowl years the Bills would look terrible all preseason long.

13 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree.  @Brianmoorman4jesus needs to chill.

It's 1 preseason game. Bears already had 1 preseason game under their belt coming in.  Bears also looked more versatile on offense,we were super vanilla/not showing anything.

By all accounts, we've been running a lot of pre snap motion, various looks in the backfield and playcalls in training camp.

This was a "let's just go 1-1" and see what happens.  No scheming, no exotic blitz looks (a gap pressure shown in camp, etc) 

No injuries, is the biggest bonus IMO.  6-3 halftime score, the route began when we were well into our 3rd/4th string guys (80% plus will be cut).  

Preseason never matters.  Go look at Steeler preseason LY, Pickett ate us up as did their defense.  But Pickett and the offense was trash, and Dorsey said post-game we were trying more 7 step drops.

I'm sure McD wasn't pleased with execution, but who cares right now.  

Cardinal game is when it matters

Completely agree, but there is surely a lot of work to be done.  The OL was poor throughout the game.  The RBs including Cook and Davis had nothing and the D was overall weak.

Not panic time, but depth might not be as good as thought.

I planned to post this earlier this week as a warning, but never got to it. I'm not surprised by the outcome of this game since the Bears had a chance to reacquaint themselves with game action last week in the the Hall of Fame game. It's not unusual for the teams that play in that game to look better than their opponent in the week 1 preseason game, especially at the back end of the roster.  So I'll take this game for what it was and be far more interested in the level of play against the Steelers next weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Embarrassing effort too to bottom 

I'm not opposed to these efforts happening in preseason tbh. It's not like there are teams that never come out flat. While I don't put stock into what we saw today due to the lack of scheme, I think getting embarrassed is a good motivator.

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't care about schemes etc.  Out OL and DL got their butts kicked 1 on 1. Pre season or not, it's a concern.

I wondered out loud if they actually lifted this offseason. 

Lifted golf clubs maybe.

52 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Is this the worst loss in the McDermott era?  I'll hang up now and wait for your comments.

Unfortunately, I've been to the 2 worst losses in McDermott's career: Bills at Chargers 2017, Bills at Ravens 2018.  They have 1 thing in common-Nathan Peterman started.  He ruined 2 road trips for me in a 10-month span.