Bears @ Bills - Preseason Game 1 - SAT 08/10 - 1 PM

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. Did anyone who is likely to play in Week 1 get hurt?

2. Did McD get a good look at some marginal players fighting for a roster spot?

If No and Yes respectively, I count this as a win.

Ed Oliver got hurt the first play. He'll probably be fine, though.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

McDermott is responsible for this and most people are going to say it’s no big deal, but knowing this dude…he’s going to be livid. There are a ton of non game-plan specific things that were a big issue.  The roster needs improvement and the team made way too many mistakes. The bears weren’t scheming anything up either and they had whatever they wanted all day 

It's preseason and there are 90 players on the team.  McDermott needs to get on the position coaches for this mess more than anything.

It's like half the team didn't know what they were doing.

There is always a lot to blame a HC on but having a team not ready to play a preseason game goes WAY beyond him.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Just block

I mean yes but that said there should be someone other than Josh who can run someone over.  Goal line and short yardage have been sore spots even when we are running well between the 20's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Oliver got hurt

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Ed Oliver got hurt the first play. He'll probably be fine, though.

They reported shortly afterwards that he was fine to return but the coaches held him out to avoid risking anything more serious. It might've been the only smart thing that McD and his charges did all day long.

• Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's preseason and there are 90 players on the team.  McDermott needs to get on the position coaches for this mess more than anything.

There is always a lot to blame a HC on but having a team not ready to play a preseason game goes WAY beyond him.

Kind of like the Carolina offense when Brady was running it.  Everyone was clueless.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  @Brianmoorman4jesus needs to chill.

It's 1 preseason game. Bears already had 1 preseason game under their belt coming in.  Bears also looked more versatile on offense,we were super vanilla/not showing anything.

By all accounts, we've been running a lot of pre snap motion, various looks in the backfield and playcalls in training camp.

This was a "let's just go 1-1" and see what happens.  No scheming, no exotic blitz looks (a gap pressure shown in camp, etc) 

No injuries, is the biggest bonus IMO.  6-3 halftime score, the route began when we were well into our 3rd/4th string guys (80% plus will be cut).  

Preseason never matters.  Go look at Steeler preseason LY, Pickett ate us up as did their defense.  But Pickett and the offense was trash, and Dorsey said post-game we were trying more 7 step drops.

I'm sure McD wasn't pleased with execution, but who cares right now.  

Cardinal game is when it matters

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Kind of like the Carolina offense when Brady was running it.  Everyone was clueless.

It was a poor showing of football fundamentals in all phases.  Bring on the Steelers and let's see if they can do better.

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Agree.  @Brianmoorman4jesus needs to chill.

It's 1 preseason game. Bears already had 1 preseason game under their belt coming in.  Bears also looked more versatile on offense,we were super vanilla/not showing anything.

By all accounts, we've been running a lot of pre snap motion, various looks in the backfield and playcalls in training camp.

This was a "let's just go 1-1" and see what happens.  No scheming, no exotic blitz looks (a gap pressure shown in camp, etc) 

No injuries, is the biggest bonus IMO.  6-3 halftime score, the route began when we were well into our 3rd/4th string guys (80% plus will be cut).  

Preseason never matters.  Go look at Steeler preseason LY, Pickett ate us up as did their defense.  But Pickett and the offense was trash, and Dorsey said post-game we were trying more 7 step drops.

I'm sure McD wasn't pleased with execution, but who cares right now.  

Cardinal game is when it matters

So we should be the better rested team instead of gassing out in the 4th quarter!!

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Obviously this was just preseason.

But I can't really think of anything positive or any players that stood out in a good way.  Maybe Khalil Shakir and Curtis Samuel?

The O-Line was dreadful.  The D-Line got zero pressure.  Lots of penalties.  

Yeah, I thought Shakir looked good and Samuel had a one nice play I remember.

The only other one I can even think to mention is Frank Gore Jr. I thought he looked like the best RB today (which isn’t saying much), though it was against 3rd and 4th string guys.

Overall, there really wasn’t any positives to take from this game. Except hopefully no injuries to starters (if Oliver is ok).

• Agree 1

Execution was terrible. Don’t mind as much since without Allen on the field the season is toast no matter which terrible backup is out there.

I do care that every preseason it’s like McDermott is new to football and never coaches how to stay away from penalties.  Oh and i hate getting dominated in the trenches…and also giving up every 3rd and 9 it seems.  Get it together