Joe Buscaglia's Projected 53 man roster as of today

MikePJ76

16 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

It’s hard not to be pessimistic when you look at this roster compared to what we’ve had the last few seasons. 

Allen is gonna have to carry the offense again.

I don’t feel that way at all. 

Certainly the vibes in the WR room can change in an instant if they’re not performing come Week 1, but I think this is the best OL, TE & RB room Allen has ever had.  

And while there’s no Diggs, 1-5, this WR room can certainly be better than last year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But you can't have basically 4 rookies as your backups. I am with you that Collins is washed. But they might well keep him then cut him and sign a different vet. 

Has he done the "week 1" thing yet with his salary?  If he hasn't, they might cut him, roll with the rookie for week 1, and then see how it shakes out thereafter. 

7 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

So a few things stand out, Will Clapp and Mike Edwards getting cut....Edwards with an injury settlement and Clapp being signed back to the Practice squad.  Also only 4 Defensive tackles.  Collins making the team over clapp would be surprising to me.  Also, Chase Claypool getting released and Zach Davidson getting waived.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5688177/2024/08/09/buffalo-bills-training-camp-preseason-53-man-roster-projection/

QB 2 Allen and Trubisky

RB 4 Gillian, cook, Davis, johnson

TE Kincaid, Knox, morris

OL Fawkins, Edwards, McGovern, Torrence, brown

Van Dermark, Anderson , Collins, SVPG, Grable

WR Coleman, samuels, shakir, Hollis, shavers, MVS

Edge Rousseau, Miller,Epenesa, smoot, Solomon, johnson

DT Oliver, Jones, Johnson, Carter

LB Milano, Bernard, Williams, Spector, Ulofodhio

CB Johnson, Douglas, benford, Elam, hardy, Ingram 

S Rapp, bishop, Hamlin, lewis

ST bass ,Martin,  Ferguson 

the issue will be what injuries there is …

my roster set up is

QB 2, RB 4, WR 5, TE 3, OL 9= 23 players

DE 5, DT 4, LB 5, DB 5, S 4= 23 players 

5 ST, K, P, LS, Returner, ST leader 

2 extra players ( protected rookies/ prospects)

don’t be surprise to see Reid, Ferguson, MVS, and Martin to be cut and then resigned after players clear for in season IR.

I expect MVS to be on PS for some games. That is why his contract was structured the way it was.

Just a quick thought on the WRs.  The Bills have carried only 5 recently.  Given the usage of Kincaid as a primary pass catcher and the Bills large use of 12 personnel, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they only carry 5 again this season.  4 slots are pretty much etched in stone (Shakir, Samuel, Coleman and Hollins).  The funny thing is I think Shavers is leading for the 5th WR job based on my reading from Buscaglia and others. 

If the Bills head down this route, that likely frees up a roster spot for a 10th OL or even a 11th DL.  

If you think about it, it makes sense.  The top targets for Josh are going to be Kincaid, Shakir, Cook, Samuel, and Coleman, with Knox and Hollins mixing in.  That doesn't leave many targets for a 5th let alone a 6th WR.  Last year WR4 and WR5 had a 43 targets between them.  The year before WRs 4 + had 51 between 7 players.  Admittedly, Diggs was focal point of the passing offense, but his targets will be spread among Samuel, Kincaid and Shakir.  I don't think it will filter down much beyond Knox and Hollins. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I feel stupid but what is the difference between being waived and released?

I asked myself the same thing when reading the article.  He put the answer at the very end of the article.  

“Injured Reserve: Players that go on IR without going to the 53-man roster first will be out for the entire year if they stay with the team

Waived: A player with three or fewer vested years of experience will be subject to waivers if let go by the team.

Released: A player with four or more vested years of experience is not subject to waivers if let go by the team and will be free to sign anywhere immediately.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, section122 said:

I don't really think Collins having experience matters when he is so limited and frankly not good anymore.

I spent some time thinking about the 53 recently and it was harder yet more fun than I expected.  Here are some differences I see:

I would keep Davidson and in turn release Gilliam.  I know it isn't likely but Gilliam is such a limited contributor offensively I think Davidson can be the 3rd TE and have Morris fill the H-Back/ST Ace role.  More realistically, I would be okay with cutting Collins and keeping Davidson.

I had Hamler over Shavers.  I know Shavers has had a great camp but here is my thought process on this - Hamler can play but usually gets hurt.  I would keep Hamler until the inevitable and then promote Shavers from the PS.

I think Edwards gets cut but is immediately resigned once someone (Bishop maybe) goes to IR.  With Bishop being injured I find it difficult to think they will keep effectively 3 safeties for week 1.

Why predict the roster until we see who shines in the preseason?

Joe B is very predictable w his roster projections every year.  Never goes out on a limb.  I guess McDermott is very predictable too.  

I see no reason for Gilliam to take up a roster spot.  What is his upside and value?

If Davidson and Morris have a higher ceiling, go with 4 TE’s.  That’s certainly not unheard of.  In today’s NFL very few teams have a FB.  Unless we have Kyle Juzcyk or Sam Gash the position is a non factor. 

As for WR I am a big Claypool fan. If his injury isn’t serious, get him reps in the preseason and see what he’s got.  Same with Shorter.  He has great size.  Let’s get him reps.  And I am glad we aren’t hearing the “let’s cut MVS” nonsense.  The guy is an NFL receiver.  End of story.  

Keeping 5 backup O linemen seems excessive.  I would keep an extra LB on the roster.  Spector can’t play 2 qtrs w/o getting injured.  Dion Jones is still solid if not great anymore. 

You need veterans at every position group to lead the team. 

19 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I listened to Joe’s podcast and it was a little weird.  He seemed a little pessimistic with this years Bills group and dismissive of some players who flashed in camp - which would explain his prediction that Davidson will be cut. 

He was also very down on the safety group which makes the release of Edward strange.  Only way I can see that happening would be if they brought back Hyde or signed Justin Simmons 

He has come off as down on the team since free agency started.  It feels like he wants to say they will miss the playoffs and this is a rebuilding year but I am not sure he has said those exact words yet.