Per McD, JA and first teamers will play about a quarter vs Bears

As we all saw with Aaron Rodgers, a player can get injured in the first quarter of the first game of the season, in effect that is really no different as to what might happen in the preseason games, football is inherently risk filled on every play. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I bet Allen won't play anything close to a full quarter.

Respectfully disagree...McD isn't known to just say things...if he is planning on playing Josh most the first quarter, I think that is likely what will happen.  Its a new offense all together, not just new personnel.  They need reps calling live plays in live games as much as they need the reps for creating timing and chemistry.  They clearly don't want to risk starting the season slow due to lack of time together, so I expect Josh and the ones will get most the first quarter to work some stuff out.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The length of time isn’t important. Whats more important is the number of offensive series. I’d like to see a minimum of two series; then sit them down. 

This is what I think is likely to happen...and to get 2 series in will probably take up most the first quarter.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Respectfully disagree...McD isn't known to just say things...if he is planning on playing Josh most the first quarter, I think that is likely what will happen.  Its a new offense all together, not just new personnel.  They need reps calling live plays in live games as much as they need the reps for creating timing and chemistry.  They clearly don't want to risk starting the season slow due to lack of time together, so I expect Josh and the ones will get most the first quarter to work some stuff out.

I think it'll be like it always is with these things: 

The amount of time the offense will get will depend on how good and how sharp they look.

If they go out there on the first drive of the game and march down the field on a 6 minute scoring drive, looking crisp and executing well, and punch it in for a touchdown, I think it's realistic to think McDermott would just pull them. If they look sloppier or go three-and-out or something, then yeah, they'll play longer.

I don't think it's absolute.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it'll be like it always is with these things: 

The amount of time the offense will get will depend on how good and how sharp they look.

If they go out there on the first drive of the game and march down the field on a 6 minute scoring drive, looking crisp and executing well, and punch it in for a touchdown, I think it's realistic to think McDermott would just pull them. If they look sloppier or go three-and-out or something, then yeah, they'll play longer.

I don't think it's absolute.

That is a good point, and yeah I can see that.  I was more just saying that McD is either more generalized when he speaks or specific, and when he is specific he has shown he means what he says.  For example...he could "Josh and the ones will start and we will how it goes for how long they are out there" vs saying they will play most the first quarter.  When he gives a more direct answer, its usually what he intends.  

But several of you made some good points where I can easily see that change in game and minimize the risk if the offense looks sharp and maybe doesn't go back out after a great series.  Which honestly is probably what should happen too.  I do agree with the decision to play them and get them some reps, we got young guys and a whole new offense to go along with new weapons, they need to get the feel of the timing in live games.  

• Like (+1) 1

A quarter is a stupid measure for this and very unlikely the metric that coaching is using.  It changes based on who gets the ball first.  They have things they want to try.   If the offense has a 8 minutes drive to start, they are likely to not even complete a second series.  If the offense sputters on drive one they are likely to complete a second series and potentially a 3rd.  Ceiling on about 15 plays for the complete 1st offense, depending on flow.  Likely that O line plays more to try a few combinations.

22 hours ago, MJS said:

I always take the approach that football is football. You can't play scared. You can't worry about injury. The players have a job to do.

It certainly is a risk, but it is always a risk. I do think players need to have some full contact to get ready for the season.

I couldn't agree more... and anyways it's not a black and white thing... it's a matter of degree.

22 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

As we all saw with Aaron Rodgers, a player can get injured in the first quarter of the first game of the season, in effect that is really no different as to what might happen in the preseason games, football is inherently risk filled on every play. 

However you can die crossing the street and people drown in bathtubs. You can't go through life fearful so I disagree with the idea that he shouldn't play at all.

Here's some useful context... Josh played 4 series last preseason with a returning cast of receivers.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/josh-allen-2-player-stats?category=passing&seasonType=pre

17 passing attempts.

This year he only has 1 wide receiver who has ever caught a regular season pass from him.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I couldn't agree more... and anyways it's not a black and white thing... it's a matter of degree.

However you can die crossing the street and people drown in bathtubs. You can't go through life fearful so I disagree with the idea that he shouldn't play at all.

Here's some useful context... Josh played 4 series last preseason with a returning cast of receivers.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/josh-allen-2-player-stats?category=passing&seasonType=pre

17 passing attempts.

This year he only has 1 wide receiver who has ever caught a regular season pass from him.

That only one  WR caught passes from him last year is imo, why he should be taking many snaps in preseason games to get the near live fire experience with his new guys, 👍

21 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That only one  WR caught passes from him last year is imo, why he should be taking many snaps in preseason games to get the near live fire experience with his new guys, 👍

Ya, I like the strategy,  don't love it. Also having a new C .. 

On 8/9/2024 at 1:16 PM, Don Otreply said:

As we all saw with Aaron Rodgers, a player can get injured in the first quarter of the first game of the season, in effect that is really no different as to what might happen in the preseason games, football is inherently risk filled on 

Oliver goes down on first series with a knee. 

Anyone want to defend playing the starters again???

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Defense is designed for injuries.  It’s McD annual built in excuse. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Every time, we should be playing the starters every preseason, not every game but every preseason, I will live and die by this, 

On 8/10/2024 at 2:58 PM, Trev said:

Defense is designed for injuries.  It’s McD annual built in excuse. 

lol yeah when that happened on the very first drive I was like “oh boy, here we go again”.   Luckily EdO appears to be fine.

On 8/10/2024 at 2:56 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree if you don't know who your starters are at this point....

preseason should only be for bubble and 3rd string and lower players. 
Thats my very non- thought out take at the moment.