Per McD, JA and first teamers will play about a quarter vs Bears

Yup, that’s what he said the other day, 

A new offense with new weapons, needs as close to live fire as it can get before the season starts, this is what preseason is for, they need to be Prepared, not post pared…, good move on coach’s part. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Just now, Punching Bag said:

But he needs to be prepared to change his plans if there are Bears players who are trying to make roster and taking cheap shots.

Allen should not be allowed to run at all in this game. If he is facing pressure, then just throw it away. We don't need the franchise taking unnecessary hits or sacks in a meaningless game. I would go so far as to say if the offense looks sharp on the first drive and they score a TD then I would pull them from the game after that if I was McDermott. If they struggle, then give them a 2nd series but no more after that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

But he needs to be prepared to change his plans if there are Bears players who are trying to make roster and taking cheap shots.

I hear that, but every team knows this, I suspect that our big guys will keep an eye out for that sort of sh-t, retribution is a cruel master, 

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Allen should not be allowed to run at all in this game. If he is facing pressure, then just throw it away. We don't need the franchise taking unnecessary hits or sacks in a meaningless game. I would go so far as to say if the offense looks sharp on the first drive and they score a TD then I would pull them from the game after that if I was McDermott. If they struggle, then give them a 2nd series but no more after that.

Iirc McD said something along the lines of most of the first quarter, but we shall see, I think you are correct in that if the “O” is sharp, then they should see less time on the field, 

• Like (+1) 1

I do think there is merit in having them play a bit, clearly so does the coach. But I would be shocked if Allen took the field, marched the team down for a score of any kind and saw the field again.  Yes I think there needs to be instructions... no JA running, quick passes, and throw the ball in the sidelines if any pressure.  I really worry about our OL if we go heavy run too... fingers crossed. I hate pre season and pre season injury risks. 

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The length of time isn’t important. Whats more important is the number of offensive Touchdowns. I’d like to see a minimum of two scores; then sit them down. 

FIFY

I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I suspect that one of the reasons McDermott is playing the starters against the Bears is that the Bears stink. 

The opportunity exists to go out there and put together one good, long scoring drive, build some confidence, and then bench the starters for the night.

I know that the team being young overall and needing to work on timing and chemistry and in-game communication is part of the calculation, but I'm sticking with my "Bears stink" theory as being part of the thinking as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

Seems like a bad move to me. I don’t think it’s worth the injury risk. That being said I’m not the expert and will never turn down the chance to see Josh Allen football!

New weapons, new center.  Need to get somethings ironed out in game settings.  Brady played almost every pre season game.  Mahomes plays almost every pre season game.    I think it is the right call.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I suspect that one of the reasons McDermott is playing the starters against the Bears is that the Bears stink. 

The opportunity exists to go out there and put together one good, long scoring drive, build some confidence, and then bench the starters for the night.

I know that the team being young overall and needing to work on timing and chemistry and in-game communication is part of the calculation, but I'm sticking with my "Bears stink" theory as being part of the thinking as well.

The Bears had a pretty decent defense as the year progressed.

• Agree 1

Didn't this happen a few pre seasons back and all Josh Allen did was hand off the ball? I'd imagine we'll see some throws, but can't imagine we'll see a whole lot. They arnt gonna risk injury or show too much offense. Just my opinion 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

New weapons, new center.  Need to get somethings ironed out in game settings.  Brady played almost every pre season game.  Mahomes plays almost every pre season game.    I think it is the right call.

There is something to be said about having your starters prepare for preseason games as "dress rehearsals". 

Having them go through the motions of starting a game is half of the mental part of the game.

They don't have to stay in long at all.

As for Josh, he can leave anytime, and they should bring in Trubisky to get some snaps during a drive just like what would happen

if Josh got dinged up.  Bring in the rest of the 2s the following drive.

That's what I would do if I was king of the forest. 

38 minutes ago, TDTT said:

Seems like a bad move to me. I don’t think it’s worth the injury risk. That being said I’m not the expert and will never turn down the chance to see Josh Allen football!

I always take the approach that football is football. You can't play scared. You can't worry about injury. The players have a job to do.

It certainly is a risk, but it is always a risk. I do think players need to have some full contact to get ready for the season.

• Agree 2

IF Allen is smart (and he is).  He hands off, gets the ball out of his hand fast, doesn't run unless it's to get out of the way and run out of bounds untouched. 

JA has played plenty of preseason snaps in his career.  He knows how to handle it safely.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I always take the approach that football is football. You can't play scared. You can't worry about injury. The players have a job to do.

It certainly is a risk, but it is always a risk. I do think players need to have some full contact to get ready for the season.

Actually you can worry about injury and you can protect your star players from taking unnecessary risk.

It's not a risk if you don't play them.

As I've said before COVID proved no preseason is needed.