1994 Clip of Marv Levy Ripping on Chuck Dickerson on Levy's Show

2 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Levy hired him in 87.  

Thanks for looking that up. As others pointed out, even as I was posting it early this morning I was wondering why in the world Levy would have hired him if he was such a bufoon. I just looked it up now and couldn't find specifics about his coaching career such as years he coached where. But, Wikipedia does say that he coached under Levy in Montreal and then in Buffalo. So, he worked under Levy in Montreal, then hired him as a defensive assistant in Marv's first full year in Buffalo. After 3 years as an assistant he was promoted to DL coach and was fired after two years of that after his pre-SB comments. He went on to use his voice on WGR to trash Levy and the Bills and Marv launched into the tirade linked above two or three years later.

Sounds like maybe when he was actually coaching, Marv must have liked him and it was only in retrospect and having a couple of years of being bashed on talk radio that Marv fired back. In any case, I love Marv's response!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

I miss this NFL.

Very little personality anymore.

I couldn't agree more.  This thread reminded me of my favorite Bills post-game presser clip from Thurman.  Imagine somebody saying this about an opponent nowadays!?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow this was a great video and so “un Marv-like.”  IIRC this clip came after months of getting dragged through the mud by Dickerson on WGR.  

In 1994, the wheels fell off of the Bills Super Bowl teams and he was relentless in his criticism of Marv.  The fact that the Bills were in the midst of a losing season after 4 SB runs probably made things that much more frustrating!

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So he hired the guy he could find nothing but bad things to say about..........interesting.

…and kept him on his staff for 5 years after that. 

Years ago, Terry Pegula watched this very same video clip. As he watched, key phrases started running through his head. Defensive coach. Buffoon. Embarrassment to the Bills. Terry started nodding his head. The next day, the announcement was made. Rex Ryan hired as Bills head coach!

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Levy is the winningest coach in Bills history, and is in the NFL hall of fame. 

Dickerson was a jacka$$ and a clown. I used to listen to him on wgr on my drive home. He wanted “strong opinions, strongly held”. Never admit you’re wrong, never back down. Although he had a good deal of football knowledge, and could be a good teacher, his character flaws and thirst for vengeance made him his own worst enemy. A bit like another popular figure. 

Dickerson was just one of many, many bad football coaches Marv hired.  What Dickerson did on the radio is irrelevant to whether Marv could pick and develop coaches.   He couldn't and didn't.  

The SB era Bills were coached by the players.   Marv was just their enabler.   They pretended to listen to his corny old a$$ because they were all united in not wanting to have to play for a serious, detail oriented NFL head coach.   They just did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and then later asked Marv for forgiveness with fingers crossed behind their backs and just did it again.   It was an experiment.   It ultimately failed at the end 4 times because they would always run up against a talented enough team with a FAR superior coaching staff who they just couldn't overwhelm by force of talent.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JP51 said:

and why did you hire him Marv? (Sorry Marv's coaching hires outside of Marchibroda have always been a sore point with me)

His coaching in Superbowl 25 was is a sore spot with me🤬🤬🤬

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dickerson was just one of many, many bad football coaches Marv hired.  What Dickerson did on the radio is irrelevant to whether Marv could pick and develop coaches.   He couldn't and didn't.  

The SB era Bills were coached by the players.   Marv was just their enabler.   They pretended to listen to his corny old a$$ because they were all united in not wanting to have to play for a serious, detail oriented NFL head coach.   They just did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and then later asked Marv for forgiveness with fingers crossed behind their backs and just did it again.   It was an experiment.   It ultimately failed at the end 4 times because they would always run up against a talented enough team with a FAR superior coaching staff who they just couldn't overwhelm by force of talent.   

Marv just fumbled and bumbled his way to 4 consecutive Super Bowls....

Brandon Scott Jones Ghosts GIF by CBS

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Marv was terrible at hiring and developing coaches.   If they hadn't already been a HC in the NFL then Marv seemed to hire someone who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.   And that's because Marv wasn't an X and O coach.   Marv ran the wing-T in Kansas City. :lol:  True story.  He was a relic from a simpler time by the time he became the Bills HC and then was basically along for the ride.   Substitute teacher/head coach.

Yeah buddy, may be true.  You were there for those years and teams as I was.  It was really the greatest time to be a bills fan and a great time for the NFL;  real hitting, real rivalries when guys never helped the other teams guys up or mutually drool over each other post games , and there was no pc mandating policies with cancel culture prohibiting people from just sharing different ideas or opinions.  It was ok to differ in ideas but still be friends in those days. 

Marv  may not have won a title but he was a gentleman, a scholar, classy, and treated men as men. He managed to keep a team loaded with HUGE EGOS playing together for those 4 great Super Bowl run years.   At least he got to the Super Bowl , even with guys like Dickerson , and honestly being present for 27/28, IMO it was more the players choking in those games with terrible turnovers, capped by Thurmans fumble to open the second half of 28 and then sulking along with his not quite showing up after SB 25.   There was no “13 second” type coaching blunder that stands out like we have seen w this regime. It was failed execution like wide right that doomed that great 90’s HOF collection of Bills, whereas I think most see coaching failures as the main limiting factor in Allen’s time so far.   Just my biased opinion , as it was a time filled with more comebacks , more great players making plays while allowed to be individuals , compared to the process being the ultimate focus.  I know you didn’t in any way say anything other than your opinion about Marv, with nothing about mcd ; I just compared the two given it is the time of arguably the two greatest franchise qb’ s in Bills history.   

I really like mcd / beane , but I’m watching a second year staff on the Texans put together a pretty impressive amount of talent around Stroud , and I bet they do more earlierin their tenure than  what we managed to do to help Allen succeed in his second year. That game will be a tough win for the BILLS this year; they  have a pretty impressive wr corp and Stroud is much more impressive as a pro than I expected being a Bucks fan since sitting in a game at the shoe as a 10 year old kid.  

I can’t see anyone else but mcd as the Bills coach right now , just saying he hasn’t matched Marv  ‘s  level of success despite having a more talented franchise qb.   Marv will always be my fav Bills coach ; we always hear people repeating him and his quotes while mcd is the master of the process and coach speak almost as bad as that famous Pats jerk.  Mcd just does it with a smile and more politely!  Marv was always worth a listen, and that’s rare these days. 

As a side note , I’m watching preseason games while dvring the Olympics , lol, and wow the NFL has managed to finally make a change that is just atrocious and one more step toward ruining or.making the game unrecognizable with the terrible kick off changes.  It’s ridiculous and just looks like a mess. I hope it’s not permanent, as there won’t be any exciting returns w this crazy format. I also noticed diggs all smiles and kissing strouds butt on the sideline, just like his 1 st year in B LO.   DIGGS, DELL , COLLINS , WOODS looks formidable and add Joe mixon and some other good backs and the Texans o could be potent.  Best wishes. Go BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

The 90's were the golden era of NFL football. High flying offenses. Legendary players. It was just becoming the behemoth it still is today. Defenses could still play defense, at least compared to today. Rivalries still meant something. Coaches and players still had attitude.

BTW, I think it is ths same for the NBA. That was the best decade for sports.

And no ubiquitous internet and immediate media cycles.

Dickerson was the voice of Buffalo sports radio buffoonery then.

Art Wander was the face of Buffalo sports TV buffoonery then.

…..if you were not around for it, consider yourself fortunate.

Edited by US Egg
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Marv just fumbled and bumbled his way to 4 consecutive Super Bowls....

Brandon Scott Jones Ghosts GIF by CBS

He didn't even do THAT much.   He just organized the practice schedule and gave corny speeches.   The players did the rest.   They called training camp "Club Marv".  :lol: 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

Yeah buddy, may be true.  You were there for those years and teams as I was.  It was really the greatest time to be a bills fan and a great time for the NFL;  real hitting, real rivalries when guys never helped the other teams guys up or mutually drool over each other post games , and there was no pc mandating policies with cancel culture prohibiting people from just sharing different ideas or opinions.  It was ok to differ in ideas but still be friends in those days. 

Marv  may not have won a title but he was a gentleman, a scholar, classy, and treated men as men. He managed to keep a team loaded with HUGE EGOS playing together for those 4 great Super Bowl run years.   At least he got to the Super Bowl , even with guys like Dickerson , and honestly being present for 27/28, IMO it was more the players choking in those games with terrible turnovers, capped by Thurmans fumble to open the second half of 28 and then sulking along with his not quite showing up after SB 25.   There was no “13 second” type coaching blunder that stands out like we have seen w this regime. It was failed execution like wide right that doomed that great 90’s HOF collection of Bills, whereas I think most see coaching failures as the main limiting factor in Allen’s time so far.   Just my biased opinion , as it was a time filled with more comebacks , more great players making plays while allowed to be individuals , compared to the process being the ultimate focus.  I know you didn’t in any way say anything other than your opinion about Marv, with nothing about mcd ; I just compared the two given it is the time of arguably the two greatest franchise qb’ s in Bills history.   

I really like mcd / beane , but I’m watching a second year staff on the Texans put together a pretty impressive amount of talent around Stroud , and I bet they do more earlierin their tenure than  what we managed to do to help Allen succeed in his second year. That game will be a tough win for the BILLS this year; they  have a pretty impressive wr corp and Stroud is much more impressive as a pro than I expected being a Bucks fan since sitting in a game at the shoe as a 10 year old kid.  

I can’t see anyone else but mcd as the Bills coach right now , just saying he hasn’t matched Marv  ‘s  level of success despite having a more talented franchise qb.   Marv will always be my fav Bills coach ; we always hear people repeating him and his quotes while mcd is the master of the process and coach speak almost as bad as that famous Pats jerk.  Mcd just does it with a smile and more politely!  Marv was always worth a listen, and that’s rare these days. 

As a side note , I’m watching preseason games while dvring the Olympics , lol, and wow the NFL has managed to finally make a change that is just atrocious and one more step toward ruining or.making the game unrecognizable with the terrible kick off changes.  It’s ridiculous and just looks like a mess. I hope it’s not permanent, as there won’t be any exciting returns w this crazy format. I also noticed diggs all smiles and kissing strouds butt on the sideline, just like his 1 st year in B LO.   DIGGS, DELL , COLLINS , WOODS looks formidable and add Joe mixon and some other good backs and the Texans o could be potent.  Best wishes. Go BILLS! 

He treated them like men alright........he instilled zero discipline, they had no curfews, his camp was the softest in the league etc...  The egos managed themselves.   As I said,  they were united in their desire to not have a hard nosed, disciplinarian installed.   It was a unique circumstance and they were a uniquely talented team.   He looked the other way when they partied away Super Bowls and in return they pretended that Marv was their fearless leader.

McD is a real NFL HC.   He's got his issues that limit him but he's the real deal.   And he knows what he's looking for when hiring coaches.  Marv was really just a puppet for Polian.   If the bickering 1989 Bills didn't get their sh!t together Polian was reportedly going to hire Bobby Ross with all his anger and discipline.........and that would have been martial law compared to what they had with Marv's country club.