1994 Clip of Marv Levy Ripping on Chuck Dickerson on Levy's Show

Chuck was a buffoon , but always entertaining as a radio host … I think the whole “bulletin board” thing is generally overrated in sports. As the other three super bowl losses illustrate, the Bills Achilles heel was robust offensive lines, and that Washington team definitely had that going for them, Dickersons comments or not.. 

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dickerson was just one of many, many bad football coaches Marv hired.  What Dickerson did on the radio is irrelevant to whether Marv could pick and develop coaches.   He couldn't and didn't.  

The SB era Bills were coached by the players.   Marv was just their enabler.   They pretended to listen to his corny old a$$ because they were all united in not wanting to have to play for a serious, detail oriented NFL head coach.   They just did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and then later asked Marv for forgiveness with fingers crossed behind their backs and just did it again.   It was an experiment.   It ultimately failed at the end 4 times because they would always run up against a talented enough team with a FAR superior coaching staff who they just couldn't overwhelm by force of talent.   

Marv seemed to be a very nice man, but any number of good coaches would have won at least one Super Bowl. As a GM he was exceptionally horrific. He and his clone Jauron set back the franchise MANY years with the 2006 draft, their first. It didn't get better after that.

When Jauron came from Chicago we were excited on TBD. You however told us that he sucked before he ever botched a draft and lost us a game. One of my favorite things about TSW is when people argue with you as if they are experts and you are dumb. 😁

Great stuff!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:28 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Dickerson was just one of many, many bad football coaches Marv hired.  What Dickerson did on the radio is irrelevant to whether Marv could pick and develop coaches.   He couldn't and didn't.  

The SB era Bills were coached by the players.   Marv was just their enabler.   They pretended to listen to his corny old a$$ because they were all united in not wanting to have to play for a serious, detail oriented NFL head coach.   They just did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and then later asked Marv for forgiveness with fingers crossed behind their backs and just did it again.   It was an experiment.   It ultimately failed at the end 4 times because they would always run up against a talented enough team with a FAR superior coaching staff who they just couldn't overwhelm by force of talent.   

I won't deny it would've been real helpful to have better overall coaches from top to bottom during that 90's run.  No excuse not getting at least 1 with all these HOFers.  Chuck was an idiot and an extreme buffoon, but Marv's incessant war stories and mottos could've been replaced with actual strategy.  It's no different now with McD's process/ culture overwhelming any semblance of a strategic advantage. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I won't deny it would've been real helpful to have better overall coaches from top to bottom during that 90's run.  No excuse not getting at least 1 with all these HOFers.  Chuck was an idiot and an extreme buffoon, but Marv's incessant war stories and mottos could've been replaced with actual strategy.  It's no different now with McD's process/ culture overwhelming any semblance of a strategic advantage. 

Unfortunately, the excuse was great HC's in Bill Parcells(with Belichick), Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson going against Marvin Levy.   Total mismatches.   In 3 of those games those far superior coaching staffs had 2 weeks to prepare.   Only one that was close was the short-week SB XXV and the Giants still managed to put together  gameplans on both sides of the ball(the defensive one is an all-time great) to upset the largest SB favorite ever to that date in time.   McD has his limitations but more in the vein that Schottenheimer and Cowher had theirs.  But they were organization builders.   Marv was a puppet for a GM lead organization and player lead team.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a very interesting video and I am surprised that I have never seen it before. Marv's anger as he reads his notes is palpable. Actually you can see it in his eyes. Something I've never seen before in any clip of him.  What I would like to know is what the actual trigger was at that point. Dickerson for all his faults was at least up front in his views, so he probably said something particularly provocative that drew Marv's ire. That being said I miss shows like the coach's on WGR. The station has now become what it beheld when it used to say "not the company line". At least Dickerson justifiably roasted the Gregg Williams coaching staff for their arrogance and legendary incompetence. Its too bad the current coaching staff is not held to the same account.

• Agree 1