1994 Clip of Marv Levy Ripping on Chuck Dickerson on Levy's Show

Just saw this article linked on TwoBillsDrive and really enjoyed it. I never lived in Buffalo, was in Binghamton during the SB years and moved to CA near the end of them. So, I never heard The Coach on WGR but I read enough in the papers that he always was ripping apart Levy.

In the clip, Levy says that Dickerson was an embarrassment everywhere he went. He embarrassed the Buffalo Bills. Then he went on to list the scores of every game he was the DC for when he coached in college at U of Minnesota, average opponent score was 47 pts/game. "He was fired more times than a Civil War cannon... He was considered a bufoon by our players."

I put the link to the SI article that has the video embedded and the X link below.

I enjoyed it, hope you do!

https://www.si.com/nfl/vintage-clip-marv-levy-eviscerating-fired-coach-buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He was fired so many times elsewhere previously, and yet he ended up on Marv’s staff too?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. He sounds terrible, so why did he get hired?

• Agree 1

Dickerson was a DL coach, nothing more.

This was more about a feud between Levy and Dickerson.

Levy fired him after the 2nd SB.

Dickerson's pregame interview is considered a catalyst for the Redskins win.

"Super Bowl XXVI controversy

Before Super Bowl XXVI, Dickerson mocked the Washington Redskins' famed offensive line, "The Hogs", in a television interview. Dickerson said Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby was "a Neanderthal -- he slobbers a lot, he probably kicks dogs in his neighborhood." He also said tackle Jim Lachey "has bad breath. Players will fall down without him even touching them."[3]

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs got his hands on some tapes of Dickerson and played them at a team meeting on the night before the game, and by all accounts it was a factor in the Redskins' 37–24 thumping of the Bills. Head coach Marv Levy later described the interview as "the girder that brought down the building."[4] Levy fired Dickerson three days after the game."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Dickerson

Dickerson was bitter about his firing, and used his radio show to lash out against Levy and the Bills.

Eventually, Levy responded.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't recall ever seeing this clip.  I do recall Dickerson being a baffoon and giving the Redskins a lot of bulletin board material before the game.

It's vintage Levy and I love it.  Thanks to the OP for finding and posting this!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I miss this NFL.

Very little personality anymore.

The 90's were the golden era of NFL football. High flying offenses. Legendary players. It was just becoming the behemoth it still is today. Defenses could still play defense, at least compared to today. Rivalries still meant something. Coaches and players still had attitude.

BTW, I think it is ths same for the NBA. That was the best decade for sports.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He was fired so many times elsewhere previously, and yet he ended up on Marv’s staff too?

Yeah Marv was terrible at hiring and developing coaches.   If they hadn't already been a HC in the NFL then Marv seemed to hire someone who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.   And that's because Marv wasn't an X and O coach.   Marv ran the wing-T in Kansas City. :lol:  True story.  He was a relic from a simpler time by the time he became the Bills HC and then was basically along for the ride.   Substitute teacher/head coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Marv was terrible at hiring and developing coaches.   If they hadn't already been a HC in the NFL then Marv seemed to hire someone who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.   And that's because Marv wasn't an X and O coach.   Marv ran the wing-T in Kansas City. :lol:  True story.  He was a relic from a simpler time by the time he became the Bills HC and then was basically along for the ride.   Substitute teacher/head coach.

Levy is the winningest coach in Bills history, and is in the NFL hall of fame. 

Dickerson was a jacka$$ and a clown. I used to listen to him on wgr on my drive home. He wanted “strong opinions, strongly held”. Never admit you’re wrong, never back down. Although he had a good deal of football knowledge, and could be a good teacher, his character flaws and thirst for vengeance made him his own worst enemy. A bit like another popular figure. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Levy is the winningest coach in Bills history, and is in the NFL hall of fame. 

Dickerson was a jacka$$ and a clown. I used to listen to him on wgr on my drive home. He wanted “strong opinions, strongly held”. Never admit you’re wrong, never back down. Although he had a good deal of football knowledge, and could be a good teacher, his character flaws and thirst for vengeance made him his own worst enemy. A bit like another popular figure. 

His first shows were decent because he dealt with the X & O s of the game.

But somewhere pretty early, he went off the rails.

IIRC, he had a thing for Mitch Ferrotte. Listening to Chuck, Mitch was an all pro lineman whose was wasting away by sitting on the bench because the Bills were to stupid to recognize his abilities. In reality, Mitch was undersized back up guard.

The people who thought the negativism on this board was bad during the drought, either did not hear or don't remember Dickersons radio show.

He was the definition of a "negative" personality.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Although he had a good deal of football knowledge, and could be a good teacher, his character flaws and thirst for vengeance made him his own worst enemy. A bit like another popular figure. 

IMG_0136.thumb.webp.529f6fd33e7d6c15b65050da06b3cbf4.webp

Edited by US Egg
  • Haha (+1) 1