Guardian Cap

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm not sure that would have helped on that play, when you slam your head into someone's chest like that a concussion is pretty hard to avoid. Might have given him a lesser history though.

It freaked me out because his hat hit about 4" from Damar Hamlin's sternum. :ph34r:

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Lost said:

We should make tackling illegal too

Its about making it safe for players when they do make tackles. Its real easy for the back of a QB's head to hit the carpet.

In a show of support for Tua I wish all QB's would put on the Guardian cap. Josh be the 1st

Turn something career ending for one player into career saving for those that follow.

On a side note that was Damar Hamlin taking another hard hit to the chest. Its very possible the Guardian cap also helps safeguard against that kind of hit that stopped Hamlins heart IMO. 

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm not sure that would have helped on that play, when you slam your head into someone's chest like that a concussion is pretty hard to avoid. Might have given him a lesser history though.

Tua just has no natural feel for impacts. He’s an athlete that isn’t naturally athletic almost. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Nothing to absorb the shock on the exterior of a helmet right now so the brain is going to suffer the consequences.

Cumulative for sure, and while Tua might be worse case scenario, all players are at risk. 

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

It freaked me out because his hat hit about 4" from Damar Hamlin's sternum. :ph34r:

OMG, you and me both

Hamlin continues to be an inspiration.

Edited by Figster

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

I might have to disagree; I'm not sure one is enough. :wallbash:

Get him a Kazoo Helmet and then put a guardian cap over it.

40 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That play makes no sense to me.  He got the 1st down, SLIDE!  Damar made like the worlds most awkward tackle because that's what he was expecting, I'm sure.  

I give Tua props as a decision maker and an accurate passer when he has time, but Tua seems to have very little field awareness as a runner.

38 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I was wondering how Hamlin must have felt, making that tackle then watching Tua writhe around and seeing the trainers come racing over.  I hope it doesn't give him flashbacks.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Its about making it safe for players when they do make tackles. Its real easy for the back of a QB's head to hit the carpet.

In a show of support for Tua I wish all QB's would put on the Guardian cap. Josh be the 1st

Turn something career ending for one player into career saving for those that follow.

On a side note that was Damar Hamlin taking another hard hit to the chest. Its very possible the Guardian cap also helps safeguard against that kind of hit that stopped Hamlins heart IMO. 

From what I remember it wasn’t the hit that stopped Hamlin’s heart, it was the hit and where the heart was in it’s rhythm, which was still a completely freakish thing to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Get him a Kazoo Helmet and then put a guardian cap over it.

That play makes no sense to me.  He got the 1st down, SLIDE!  Damar made like the worlds most awkward tackle because that's what he was expecting, I'm sure.  

I give Tua props as a decision maker and an accurate passer when he has time, but Tua seems to have very little field awareness as a runner.

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I was wondering how Hamlin must have felt, making that tackle then watching Tua writhe around and seeing the trainers come racing over.  I hope it doesn't give him flashbacks.

Oppositions QB looks across the field at Superman and tries to be him.

It doesn't end well for most...

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

From what I remember it wasn’t the hit that stopped Hamlin’s heart, it was the hit and where the heart was in it’s rhythm, which was still a completely freakish thing to happen.

absolutely, with the odds of it ever even happening again extremely slim.

Game of football is more prepared now... 

A funny thing happened in a recent CFL game.  Among a cluster of green helmets, one special teams guy wore a guardian cap, but it was black.

From the far away camera angle, it looked like a guy with a giant afro and no helmet.

Odd that they didn't have a green one for him.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Simon said:

The crazy this about Damar is, before that injury…the dude was wreck-less. He was absolutely insane flying in there just blasting people. Zero fear.  A lot like Rapp. That’s actually why I liked him. Then he got hurt on a completely regular Benign play. Now he seems to be much more mellow out there. The guy is going to

be ok. That was one freak thing. We all fear for the guy everytime he hits someone but he’s going to be good. We are through the worst. Just have to appreciate the miracle surrounding his situation and be happy for him. It’s not going to happen again we can all take a breath 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Optional? the proof is in the pudding.  

Make it mandatory or the league may get sued somewhere down the line in my humble opinion. (I'm no lawyer)

At the very least make it mandatory for players with a history of suffering one or more concussions in the game of football. 

This whole problem with defenders not able to make a tackle because a players head is in between two tackling arms probably never happens If the Guardian cap was being utilized IMO. 

Edited by Figster

On 8/8/2024 at 12:48 PM, Beck Water said:

Question:

Last year the OL and DL were wearing those Guardian Caps and there were some comments that they helped.

This year, I notice the DBs, RB, TE and WR are wearing them - but NOT the OL and DL

Anyone know what's up with that?

Example:

Sport Hello GIF by MLB

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Tua should probably wear two of them if he ever comes back 

Big fan, always have been. 

I just want Tua to have a safe, normal life now. 

Franchise QB is the most valuable and the most vulnerable to head injury in my humble opinion.

Lead the charge Josh!!!

Embrace the ugly!!!

Edited by Figster

The problem is the helmets. Specifically the plastic shell. This is known from research done around motorcycle helmets. Plastic helmets when they hit a hard surface, bend and squeeze, and actually can create more force that travels through the brain. Almost all motorcycle crash helmets at this point, our fiberglass or carbon fiber, or some combination there of with the, intention of crumbling, or crushing from the impact thereby dissipating the energy rather than transferring a new one through the helmet. This makes them all one use and if you drop your helmet or have a small fall on the side and hit your head, you should trash that helmet. Sure hasn’t been dropped. This is very similar to crumple zones on cars trying to dissipate the energy before it’s transferred to the passengers inside, soft and squishy like a brain.

How does this relate to football helmets? I’ve been watching this for several years and you’ll notice more and more helmets. Have a cut out in the front on three sides so that that piece can flex now you’re seeing this year big cut outs on the right and left sides that can flex separate from the entire helmet to make them look cool and they make it look like ventilation and I’m sure there’s some ventilation affect, but most of that is to simulate the same kind of crush zones in a fiberglass helmet or a modern car.

this is an improvement and actually if they still wanted to have a hard shell plastic helmet, it should be cut up into many more Crush zones.

Honestly, my opinion is going back to a modern version of the old leather helmets is probably the best solution for several reasons. First, being without a hard shell helmet players would feel less and vulnerable and might work to protect themselves by not hitting or leading with their heads psychological win. the second would be the soft cushion could be developed to crumble or Crush and dissipate the energy without the resonance from the plastic shell. My guess is that they won’t ever go to something like this because the current helmets look too cool, and there are issues with how do you attach a face mask which has gone a long way to protecting players faces.

just for reference, I was in the motorcycle industry for a time and raced motorcycles, avidly and read a lot of reports on helmet, safety testing and design. PS don’t buy a plastic helmet and if someone you that you care about has a motorcycle encourage or buy them a properly rated fiberglass based helmet preferably full face.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

The problem is the helmets. Specifically the plastic shell. This is known from research done around motorcycle helmets. Plastic helmets when they hit a hard surface, bend and squeeze, and actually can create more force that travels through the brain. Almost all motorcycle crash helmets at this point, our fiberglass or carbon fiber, or some combination there of with the, intention of crumbling, or crushing from the impact thereby dissipating the energy rather than transferring a new one through the helmet. This makes them all one use and if you drop your helmet or have a small fall on the side and hit your head, you should trash that helmet. Sure hasn’t been dropped. This is very similar to crumple zones on cars trying to dissipate the energy before it’s transferred to the passengers inside, soft and squishy like a brain.

How does this relate to football helmets? I’ve been watching this for several years and you’ll notice more and more helmets. Have a cut out in the front on three sides so that that piece can flex now you’re seeing this year big cut outs on the right and left sides that can flex separate from the entire helmet to make them look cool and they make it look like ventilation and I’m sure there’s some ventilation affect, but most of that is to simulate the same kind of crush zones in a fiberglass helmet or a modern car.

this is an improvement and actually if they still wanted to have a hard shell plastic helmet, it should be cut up into many more Crush zones.

Honestly, my opinion is going back to a modern version of the old leather helmets is probably the best solution for several reasons. First, being without a hard shell helmet players would feel less and vulnerable and might work to protect themselves by not hitting or leading with their heads psychological win. the second would be the soft cushion could be developed to crumble or Crush and dissipate the energy without the resonance from the plastic shell. My guess is that they won’t ever go to something like this because the current helmets look too cool, and there are issues with how do you attach a face mask which has gone a long way to protecting players faces.

just for reference, I was in the motorcycle industry for a time and raced motorcycles, avidly and read a lot of reports on helmet, safety testing and design. PS don’t buy a plastic helmet and if someone you that you care about has a motorcycle encourage or buy them a properly rated fiberglass based helmet preferably full face.

Myself personally, the Guardian cap style exterior makes every safety helmet known to mankind a much safer form of protection including and especially motorcycle helmets IMO. It helps absorb the shock on impact. Not after a hard plastic shell does just the opposite. We may not see it yet, but hopefully soon.

Construction hard hats, everything, pad the exterior,

good grief, its not rocket science right?

• Thank you (+1) 1