How much are you willing to pay for a good beef on weck sandwich?

Another Fan

They sell them at Wegmans by me for $11 each now.  Too expensive for me.  While not as good as ones in Buffalo they are still pretty tasty.  Before food inflation they were like 6 or 7 bucks.  

I’m willing to pay money in general for good sandwiches though.  There’s an old fashioned Italian deli about 45 minutes from my house I take a ride for a stuffed Italian sandwich there with every meat you could think of.  $20 for that sandwich 

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

A good Beef on Weck by me is about $15 at Bar Bill East, Rohrbachs or the Genesee Brew Haus.

I’ve got a place by me (Padriacs for the locals) with a beef on weck in that range, and that’s fine with me. It’s NOT Schwabl’s, but it gets me my fix. It’s not too hard to make a pretty darn good version for yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm spoiled. I live in South Cheektowaga. We have Charley the Butcher by the airport and Schwabl's about 3 miles south of me.

Edited by Wacka
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 8/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, Wacka said:

I'm spoiled. I live in South Cheektowaga. We have Charley the Butcher by the airport and Schwabl's about 3 miles south of me.

Spoiled indeed.  I used to work in Cheektowaga and would get Charley the Butcher for lunch a decent amount back then but haven't been there since I left the company almost 5 years ago now.  I need to make a trip out that way soon 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m afraid you only get the weck for that, plus a pickle of course. 

But that's what I want to pay.  Damn inflation.  

1 hour ago, Irv said:

But that's what I want to pay.  Damn inflation.  

Might be able to get that at Arby's... just salt the bun up real good. 

On 8/8/2024 at 10:28 AM, Another Fan said:

They sell them at Wegmans by me for $11 each now.  Too expensive for me.  While not as good as ones in Buffalo they are still pretty tasty.  Before food inflation they were like 6 or 7 bucks.  

Yeah, I often see those Beef on Weck sandwiches in the plastic container at the Wegmans in Maryland.  The price always turns me off, but then all their prepared lunches and dinner are pricey.  One of these days I'll try it.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yeah, I often see those Beef on Weck sandwiches in the plastic container at the Wegmans in Maryland.  The price always turns me off, but then all their prepared lunches and dinner are pricey.  One of these days I'll try it.

Years back when I lived closer to a Wegmans I'd buy them.  They were only like $6 0r $7 each then though.

Yeah their sandwiches in general are pretty good under prepared food but I'm not paying $12 for a sandwich from them.  

When the craving for Beef on Weck strikes....

I buy the Weck rolls at Wegmans, plus a container of their sliced "London Broil" and it is as good as the best restaurants, at half the price.  The London Broil is really good.

It's even better than half price when you consider drinks, tips, and tax for a restaurant sit down.

Sadly, 15 dollars is a great price for an excellent sandwich these days. 

Last week I went to Katz's Deli and got a pastrami on rye and a Dr. Browns cream soda. It cost me more than 30 dollars in all. The sandwich had enough meat for 3 people (of course I ate it all) and was delicious. Still, I don't know how much longer these price hikes can keep up before the economy bursts.

https://localmenu.katzsdelicatessen.com/menu-and-local/hot-sandwiches.html

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sadly, 15 dollars is a great price for an excellent sandwich these days. 

Last week I went to Katz's Deli and got a pastrami on rye and a Dr. Browns cream soda. It cost me more than 30 dollars in all. The sandwich had enough meat for 3 people (of course I ate it all) and was delicious. Still, I don't know how much longer these price hikes can keep up before the economy bursts.

https://localmenu.katzsdelicatessen.com/menu-and-local/hot-sandwiches.html

I would imagine food prices in NYC were always high though.

But I hear ya, $13 for a veggie sandwich today in the mall