Training Camp 8/8

12 hours ago, HiMark said:

You can have all 4, (7wr, 4te) if you only keep 3 safeties (Lewis is #3).  The 4th healthy safety on our team now is no better than any of them.  I like Hamler's chances the least

You could do that and still keep Hollins. Hollins is not on the bubble, he is more likely to be a captain than a cut

Yes, only 3 healthy ones worth keeping, counting Cam

I think Beane and Co are more likely to walk down Jefferson Ave handing out free platters of wings and blue cheese than they are to keep 2 safeties plus Cam Lewis, and I wouldn't stand by the curb with a bib and a napkin ready to dine, if I were you.

"Worth keeping" by your standard isn't the way it works.  

One of the best ways of predicting future performance is by past actions.

In 2023 the Bills kept 5 safeties and 6 CB.  Two of the safeties were Damar Hamlin and Cam Lewis.  One of the CBs was Siran Neal, who was their dime CB and primarily STer.

In 2022 the Bills kept 4 safeties and 6 CB.  Two of the safeties were Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin.  Cam Lewis was counted as a cornerback.  So was Siran Neal, who again, dime CB and primarily STer.

What can we learn by this?

1) the Bills will keep some players who are not "worth keeping" from the viewpoint of being every day, every week NFL starters on a good team - Jaquan Johnson, Siran Neal, in 2023 certainly Damar Hamlin.  There might be a better backup available at their defensive position, but they will be kept for the overall combination of "next man up" adequacy and every game ST play.

2) when there is uncertainty - as in 2023, the Bills weren't sure Damar Hamlin would be able to handle being an NFL player, or if they're uncertain who the best 4 really are - the Bills will tend to keep an extra player at that position

Logan Thomas who was on Bills for w years played well for Washington for a few years and was signed to 49ers in June to one year contract.  He was released on August 9.

He has been injured a few times' with many of them cheap shots penalized.

I met him and his wife at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern when Washington was on a bye week.  Nice people.

On 8/10/2024 at 11:14 AM, Beck Water said:

I think Beane and Co are more likely to walk down Jefferson Ave handing out free platters of wings and blue cheese than they are to keep 2 safeties plus Cam Lewis, and I wouldn't stand by the curb with a bib and a napkin ready to dine, if I were you.

"Worth keeping" by your standard isn't the way it works.  

One of the best ways of predicting future performance is by past actions.

In 2023 the Bills kept 5 safeties and 6 CB.  Two of the safeties were Damar Hamlin and Cam Lewis.  One of the CBs was Siran Neal, who was their dime CB and primarily STer.

In 2022 the Bills kept 4 safeties and 6 CB.  Two of the safeties were Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin.  Cam Lewis was counted as a cornerback.  So was Siran Neal, who again, dime CB and primarily STer.

What can we learn by this?

1) the Bills will keep some players who are not "worth keeping" from the viewpoint of being every day, every week NFL starters on a good team - Jaquan Johnson, Siran Neal, in 2023 certainly Damar Hamlin.  There might be a better backup available at their defensive position, but they will be kept for the overall combination of "next man up" adequacy and every game ST play.

2) when there is uncertainty - as in 2023, the Bills weren't sure Damar Hamlin would be able to handle being an NFL player, or if they're uncertain who the best 4 really are - the Bills will tend to keep an extra player at that position

Quick, who was the last left-hander to complete a pass for the Bills?

Yes, I know the numbers from former years.  I chose to remind some people that we kept 6lb's last year, so I know how this goes.

It's just that right now there is not a fourth safety on this roster worth keeping.  Not a healthy one, at any rate.  This is a position where it may pay to cut down to 52 and pull in someone from the waiver list.  Surely, some team is going to cut someone better at safety than Cam Lewis, let alone whoever is next best.

The last left handed completion? Jaquan Johnson on a fake punt.  I was like, "wow, a fake punt, wow Jaquan's a lefty, hey, we converted!"

On 8/12/2024 at 7:42 PM, HiMark said:

It's just that right now there is not a fourth safety on this roster worth keeping.  Not a healthy one, at any rate.  This is a position where it may pay to cut down to 52 and pull in someone from the waiver list.  Surely, some team is going to cut someone better at safety than Cam Lewis, let alone whoever is next best.

They don't have to play safety better than Cam Lewis.  They have to play safety, nickel, boundary corner, and ST better than Cam Lewis

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

They don't have to play safety better than Cam Lewis.  They have to play safety, nickel, boundary corner, and ST better than Cam Lewis

I'm not out to cut Cam, I just think we need another safety.  And it would be helpful if he weren't the worst S on the team. My 53 is full of guys that play ST

3 hours ago, HiMark said:

I'm not out to cut Cam, I just think we need another safety.  And it would be helpful if he weren't the worst S on the team. My 53 is full of guys that play ST

There's no question we need another safety since Mike Edwards seems to have an injury requiring prolonged rehab and Bishop hasn't been able to be on the field learning the system.