Training Camp 8/8

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Until his Hollywood gF asks him to move to LA !   Go Bills !

Josh already lives in CA, he actually lives in a gated community down the street from some people I know...Sam Darnold has a house there too.  

My wife is friends with the his GF's makeup artist, so I am hoping between them or my friends family I can arrange a way to bump into them next offseason ha.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I can tell they love Hollins the person. I just don't know about Hollins the player. There hasn't been any bad news in that regard, so that's good.

MVS is a dynamic mismatch. He's the guy you want in the playoffs. He always shows up.

I feel like MVS with his speed, and Hamler with his speed and special teams play, those two guys have dynamic roles. 

Hollins as a reliable possession receiver is fine.

I'd say right now it's 

Shakir

Coleman

Samuel

Hollins

Hamler

MVS

But if they really love Shavers, then why not just take Hollins spot.

Only the money stands in the way. Hollins is guaranteed a million dollars.

I'm actually good with your top 6 wrs. Keep MVS and unleash him in the playoffs. Stick Claypool on the PS.  I think Hamler will be our returner.  We'll have plenty of reliable possession receivers.

• Simon unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I can tell they love Hollins the person. I just don't know about Hollins the player. There hasn't been any bad news in that regard, so that's good.

MVS is a dynamic mismatch. He's the guy you want in the playoffs. He always shows up.

I feel like MVS with his speed, and Hamler with his speed and special teams play, those two guys have dynamic roles. 

Hollins as a reliable possession receiver is fine.

I'd say right now it's 

Shakir

Coleman

Samuel

Hollins

Hamler

MVS

But if they really love Shavers, then why not just take Hollins spot.

Only the money stands in the way. Hollins is guaranteed a million dollars.

Hollins is a roster lock. Read/listen to any camp report summarizing TC so far. He's ahead of MVS.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Probably not. He is what he is at this point of his career, a journeyman WR who needs to play solid special teams to justify his spot and a guy you are trying to replace on your roster with a younger, better, cheaper player. The likelihood of him suddenly busting out onto the scene with a monster year is exceedingly low.

I agree. The time it will take for the mafia to turn on this ‘guy’ will be milliseconds after he drops a critical wide open pass. Where’s a full beer can when you need one? (Old school reference) To me, he epitomizes the mediocrity of our WR group.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think he's average. You think he's gonna be better than average?

Better than average catch rate- actually a stellar catch rate.  Bills WRs could not catch last year. Drops galore.  MVS might be able to separate sometimes- but his hands are iffy

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I stand corrected-  I think he’s about average too.  I was just answering your question with what sounded like a good answer to me.  

one thing I’m confidant in- him making the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh already lives in CA, he actually lives in a gated community down the street from some people I know...Sam Darnold has a house there too.  

My wife is friends with the his GF's makeup artist, so I am hoping between them or my friends family I can arrange a way to bump into them next offseason ha.    

Stalker, 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree, you want your second round pick to contribute  and hopefully start..  On the other hand, Hamlin's improvement appears to be legitimate and entirely unexpected.  That lessens the disappointment of Bishop's injury and the resulting delay in development.  

Hopefully.  Young players basically missing all of camp puts them behind in a lot of different ways though.  The bills have a difficult schedule to start the season and I imagine they are not going to throw bishop out there early in the year coming off injury if he missed all of camp and the preseason.   

The safety position is going to need some help when the cuts come in around the league imo.

13 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Everything else you wrote about MVS historically is accurate but he has not "dropped a lot of passes" in THIS camp. I can recall 2. He took a while to ramp up and consistently get open and thrown to.

against air lol

40 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think MVS makes it personally as he brings speed and a deep threat element.

He also has void years to his deal and his contract is set up to where he makes the team.

I could be wrong though

MVS contract was certainly set up as though he was viewed as a lock, but he's kind of been drilling out the cylinder IMHO.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

11 hours ago, White Linen said:

He's been well below average, IMO.

In regards to Hollins, it depends on what you are talking about:

Yes, if we are talking about catching passes and racking up a lot yards, he is below average.

But, if we are talking about blocking and special teams (as a gunner), he is above average...very good to excellent in fact.

A couple of things. With Kincaid/Knox, Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, and even the backs, Mack will be like the 5th or 6th target in the offense. They won't be asking him to catch a ton of balls and have like 600-800 yards. He will have very specific roles.

1. He will most likely be the gunner on special teams (he has excelled at that in his career). And remember Siran Neal and Taiwan Jones are both gone. They were our main gunners the last few years.

2. He will be the blocking WR (he helps fill the role that Gabe played in blocking for the run game---Gabe was an excellent blocker, but he's gone. And we will be a more run heavy team, so blocking downfield is important).

3. He will be a possession receiver, as an outlet for Josh, and on 3rd downs, and possibly in the red zone. He'll most likely have a low number of receptions and yards (due to where he is on the depth chart), but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those catches go for first downs.

The team isn't expecting him to turn into something he hasn't yet been in his career. But, he does have traits/skills that the team felt they needed. He basically fills 2 or 3 roles that were missing.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, folz said:

In regards to Hollins, it depends on what you are talking about:

Yes, if we are talking about catching passes and racking up a lot yards, he is below average.

But, if we are talking about blocking and special teams (as a gunner), he is above average...very good to excellent in fact.

A couple of things. With Kincaid/Knox, Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, and even the backs, Mack will be like the 5th or 6th target in the offense. They won't be asking him to catch a ton of balls and have like 600-800 yards. He will have very specific roles.

1. He will most likely be the gunner on special teams (he has excelled at that in his career). And remember Siran Neal and Taiwan Jones are both gone. They were our main gunners the last few years.

2. He will be the blocking WR (he helps fill the role that Gabe played in blocking for the run game---Gabe was an excellent blocker, but he's gone. And we will be a more run heavy team, so blocking downfield is important).

3. He will be a possession receiver, as an outlet for Josh, and on 3rd downs, and possibly in the red zone. He'll most likely have a low number of receptions and yards (due to where he is on the depth chart), but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those catches go for first downs.

The team isn't expecting him to turn into something he hasn't yet been in his career. But, he does have traits/skills that the team felt they needed. He basically fills 2 or 3 roles that were missing.

I basically agree with all of this, so back to my original point: if they love Shavers a bunch (who also plays ST), then he could take Hollins' spot. I'd be fine with that.

We'd then have:

(Kincaid)

Shakir

Coleman

Samuel

(Knox)

MVS

Shavers

Hamler

On 8/8/2024 at 7:10 PM, NickelCity said:

Hardy has had a solid camp. They'd be foolish to cut him. Isabella isn't making the roster.

MVS vs Shavers vs Hamler vs Davidson...i wonder if two or only one from this group make it. 

You can have all 4, (7wr, 4te) if you only keep 3 safeties (Lewis is #3).  The 4th healthy safety on our team now is no better than any of them.  I like Hamler's chances the least

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I basically agree with all of this, so back to my original point: if they love Shavers a bunch (who also plays ST), then he could take Hollins' spot. I'd be fine with that.

We'd then have:

(Kincaid)

Shakir

Coleman

Samuel

(Knox)

MVS

Shavers

Hamler

You could do that and still keep Hollins. Hollins is not on the bubble, he is more likely to be a captain than a cut

10 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Hopefully.  Young players basically missing all of camp puts them behind in a lot of different ways though.  The bills have a difficult schedule to start the season and I imagine they are not going to throw bishop out there early in the year coming off injury if he missed all of camp and the preseason.   

The safety position is going to need some help when the cuts come in around the league imo.

Yes, only 3 healthy ones worth keeping, counting Cam

On 8/8/2024 at 7:22 PM, 3rdand12 said:

That pesky TE problem with Morris and Davidson ....

No way it's 7

calling it

PS will be full of talent this season methinks

I don't think it will be 7, but it could, even with 4te (oh, that pesky problem...).  bottom roster spots should go to players that serve a role (KR, PR, ST, key backup) or are otherwise so good they won't make it to out PS.  KR could get KJ on the team, and he wouldn't even have to beat out anyone but Kingsley Johnathan and a safety that was on the couch last week.

On 8/8/2024 at 8:12 PM, NeverOutNick said:

I have a feeling both Hamler and Hardy make the roster. They both should 

You might be right, there are going to be a lot of kick returns this year, and someone has to do it. 

4 minutes ago, HiMark said:

You might be right, there are going to be a lot of kick returns this year, and someone has to do it. 

And they both fill positions of need. Backup slot corner with versatility to play outside and WR who can take the top off the defense and is a nightmare with the ball in his hands. Can’t wait to see how they both do tomorrow since right now it’s all just speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1