Training Camp 8/8

36 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Until his Hollywood gF asks him to move to LA !   Go Bills !

I don’t think a high school mentality will come into play here. There are a lot of other serious, grown up and financial factors that come into play. He’s under contract, on a good team and they will just keep rolling his deal over as needed. Just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Hollins is a lock.  MVS is a goner.  MVS drops too many passes.  Hollins has mits.  Not to mention. Hollins is a special teams beast, and MVS does not play special teams.  KJ has a better shot than MVS

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Hollins is an absolute lock.  They love him, and he is going to play a lot.

2 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Yes

I can tell they love Hollins the person. I just don't know about Hollins the player. There hasn't been any bad news in that regard, so that's good.

MVS is a dynamic mismatch. He's the guy you want in the playoffs. He always shows up.

I feel like MVS with his speed, and Hamler with his speed and special teams play, those two guys have dynamic roles. 

Hollins as a reliable possession receiver is fine.

I'd say right now it's 

Shakir

Coleman

Samuel

Hollins

Hamler

MVS

But if they really love Shavers, then why not just take Hollins spot.

Only the money stands in the way. Hollins is guaranteed a million dollars.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Does his girlfriend know you've been pumping him?

I lol’d 

23 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I can tell they love Hollins the person. I just don't know about Hollins the player. There hasn't been any bad news in that regard, so that's good.

MVS is a dynamic mismatch. He's the guy you want in the playoffs. He always shows up.

I feel like MVS with his speed, and Hamler with his speed and special teams play, those two guys have dynamic roles. 

Hollins as a reliable possession receiver is fine.

I'd say right now it's 

Shakir

Coleman

Samuel

Hollins

Hamler

MVS

But if they really love Shavers, then why not just take Hollins spot.

Only the money stands in the way. Hollins is guaranteed a million dollars.

Because Hollins is better than you think

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Probably not. He is what he is at this point of his career, a journeyman WR who needs to play solid special teams to justify his spot and a guy you are trying to replace on your roster with a younger, better, cheaper player. The likelihood of him suddenly busting out onto the scene with a monster year is exceedingly low.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Probably not. He is what he is at this point of his career, a journeyman WR who needs to play solid special teams to justify his spot and a guy you are trying to replace on your roster with a younger, better, cheaper player. The likelihood of him suddenly busting out onto the scene with a monster year is exceedingly low.

There is a HUGE gap between “better than you think” and “busting out onto the scene with a monster year” 

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

There is a HUGE gap between “better than you think” and “busting out onto the scene with a monster year” 

I don't think he's better than a journeyman bottom of the roster WR.  He's a replacement level player who is here because he blocks, plays special teams, and brings a different vibe to the WR room.  

Honestly, if there is a roster crunch at the end of camp because a guy like Shavers earned a spot I can see Hollins off the roster week 1.  Shavers is younger, cheaper, and would fill the same role with upside potential. Hollins has no upside potential.

Davis brought 45 catches, 746 yards and 7 TDs last year.  If we got more than 2/3 of that out of Hollins I'd be shocked.  30, 500, 4 to 5 TDs.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't think he's better than a journeyman bottom of the roster WR.  He's a replacement level player who is here because he blocks, plays special teams, and brings a different vibe to the WR room.  

Honestly, if there is a roster crunch at the end of camp because a guy like Shavers earned a spot I can see Hollins off the roster week 1.  Shavers is younger, cheaper, and would fill the same role with upside potential. Hollins has no upside potential.

You’re certainly entitled to that opinion. Might as well make some money in lieu of it.   Your $20 to my $100 that Hollins is on the team come week one.  Injury to either shavers or Hollins and bet is squashed. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re certainly entitled to that opinion. Might as well make some money in lieu of it.   Your $20 to my $100 that Hollins is on the team come week one.  Injury to either shavers or Hollins and bet is squashed. 

Hollins is already hurt.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

MVS is hard to read right now...on one hand, Allen seems to like him and talked him up a little bit lately and MVS has gotten some more time with the ones.  However, on the other hand, he has dropped a lot of passes and easily had the most inconsistent camp of all the WR's.  And its not a fluke, he has always had inconsistent hands too.

Meanwhile Shavers is getting a lot of hype and praise from the coaches and Allen and getting his own reps with the ones as well.  MVS does bring playoff experience and with a young WR room, that may be what saves his spot, but Shavers is making a real push to make the roster too.

I am curious to see how many WR's we end up keeping.  Part of that too obviously is will the returner be a WR or someone at another position like Hardy.  I am also curious to see what Claypool adds to the mix when he is back, but the time he missed is going to make it much harder to make this roster.  I think Claypool is going to need to have some flash moments in the preseason games for any shot, and I am not even sure when he is back.  

Everything else you wrote about MVS historically is accurate but he has not "dropped a lot of passes" in THIS camp. I can recall 2. He took a while to ramp up and consistently get open and thrown to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree, you want your second round pick to contribute  and hopefully start..  On the other hand, Hamlin's improvement appears to be legitimate and entirely unexpected.  That lessens the disappointment of Bishop's injury and the resulting delay in development.  

Not sure that id be washing out Bishops season quite yet.

I'm no expert on scapula fractures, and I dont know what portion of his scapula was fractured, but the observation that hes not even in a sling tells me its a non-displaced fracture.  And 'm guessing that it will be almost healed by 6 weeks.

Its not like a turf toe, or hamstring, or high ankle  which might nag the entire season.

I'm thinking hes good to go by game 1 or 2 .  Lots of time to get into game shape.  Its not a lost season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

If I'm ever making prop bets about either Shavers or Hollins it's time to seek help. I don't need to measure ***** to have an opinion.

I don’t need help.  I’m always look to capitalize on others’ thinking theirs is bigger than it is. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I don’t need help.  I’m always look to capitalize on others’ thinking theirs is bigger than it is. 

Because I said I could see a pathway for Hollins to not be on the roster week one IF Shavers plays well is over some line for you? Settle down man.

I'm already on the record for not liking Hollins. That's fine. It's not like I'm out here guaranteeing he'll be cut or any other outlandish thing.

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Because I said I could see a pathway for Hollins to not be on the roster week one IF Shavers plays well is over some line for you? Settle down man.

I'm already on the record for not liking Hollins. That's fine. It's not like I'm out here guaranteeing he'll be cut or any other outlandish thing.

Settle down….lol.  

Yeah and I gave you 5-1 odds just to give you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.  But you declined because you’d have issues if you placed a bet on it….. 🤣 mmhmmm

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I think people are hoping he turns in a season like he had in 2022. His line for that year was 57 catches for 690 yards with 4 TD's on 94 targets. Looking at that season he had one monster game where his stat line was 8 catches on 11 targets for 158 yards and a TD. But he actually had some other solid games peppered in that season. He had 7 other games with 40 or more receiving yards that year. 

Optimistically you could look at Hollins as having some of that upside he showed in Vegas. In that Vegas season he didn't have a great QB throwing to him as Derrick Carr for 15 games and Jared Sitdham for 2 games isn't a top of the line QB situation. Carr's not a bad QB but he's aggressively mid-level or even lower mid-level. 

Pessimistically I think you could look at that one year as an extreme outlier. His highest receiving total in his career was last year with ATL at 251 yards, 0 TD's, and 18 receptions on 30 targets. Hollins has been in the league for 6 years mostly hanging on as a special teams player before one mini-break out year with a bad Raiders team that was probably throwing a lot. 

I think if Hollins can be in a supped up Jake Kummerow/Trent Sherfield role where he can take in 35-40 targets and get 25-30 receptions for 250-300 yards with 2 TD's that's going to be a good spot for him to add just a little bit of efficient pop as a WR4 in an offense with a heavy TE2 and RB presence in the receiving core is a good outcome. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

Settle down….lol.  

Yeah and I gave you 5-1 odds just to give you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.  But you declined because you’d have issues if you placed a bet on it….. 🤣 mmhmmm

Stop making the internet an unbearable place. This entire conversation is a you problem because you feel the need to win and squash discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Stop making the internet an unbearable place. This entire conversation is a you problem because you feel the need to win and squash discussion.

Whatever you same man.  Feel better soon

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

This conversation is a me problem?  😂 

This is our conversation before I decided to try and take advantage of you.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

53 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

42 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Davis brought 45 catches, 746 yards and 7 TDs last year.  If we got more than 2/3 of that out of Hollins I'd be shocked.  30, 500, 4 to 5 TDs.

All I said was Hollins is better than you think.  I then said that there was a huge gap between what I had said “better than you think” and what you put in my mouth “busting out onto the scenes with a monster year”.

I don’t think he’s going to have a monster year. I just think he’s better than someone else (not even you) thinks he is.  

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Everything else you wrote about MVS historically is accurate but he has not "dropped a lot of passes" in THIS camp. I can recall 2. He took a while to ramp up and consistently get open and thrown to.

He actually had 2 bad drops just on Wed alone and there have been several other days where there has been reports of drops, including today.  So unfortunately its several more than 2.  The best thing going for him right now is that Claypool has missed time, but dropping passes keeps doors open for other players like a Shavers, Claypool, Hamler, etc.  

He still has a legit shot at the roster, but the drops have been an issue in camp so far.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1