Training Camp 8/8

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Remember he has to be signed to a 53, so that means someone has the use one of those spots on a dude with zero production since 21, with only camp reports and coming off a serious knee injury.

I don't know man

Shavers and Davidson dance on to our PS, IMO, if we don't give them a spot on the 53

He can also choose to sign with another teams PS instead of the Bill’s

5 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Not a ton of overly notable items from today's practice. They also wrapped up a bit early. Offense and Defense took turns with some solid plays here and there for much of it, but tough to tell a lot as they were going like 3/4 speed for a lot of it.

With that said -

As reports have stated, the Josh to MVS connection seems to be ramping up. He found MVS deep early on and also had a nice attempt and route on a deep post that got broken up.

I noticed today that Josh was very focused on patience within the play, and often took the 3rd or 4th read on many of the pass plays for a solid but unspectacular completion and yardage gain.

Shakir was Mr. dependable all over the field today, getting open in short and medium zones, making himself QB friendly and securing the grab (he must have had 6 catches out there in 11 on 11) and some decent RAC.

The Bills edge rushers flashed at times (Von, Solomon, Smoot in particular) in getting good angles around the edge that may have affected a few of the plays.

I see no path for Isabella, Shorter, Claypool, Johnson, Keys, etc. to make this team, beyond some sort of practice squad stashing. It feels like IF they keep 6 WR's, the final spot will be down to Hamler and Shavers based on what I've seen.

Shorter has been injured it seems since he was drafted last year.  That's too bad because he showed something last year in the preseason when he was able to play.  And Claypool seems to have been nicked up for at least the past 10 days.  Some guys it seems have no luck and always seem to be nicked.

You just have to wonder how Brett Favre played well over 250 consecutive games.  When a guy like Shorter is always banged up.   

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Just going off these varied camp reports, Hamler and MVS seem like the final 2 WRs innl a 6 man room. Shavers looking good and on the edge. 

Is Hollins really a lock, though?

Hollins is a lock.  MVS is a goner.  MVS drops too many passes.  Hollins has mits.  Not to mention. Hollins is a special teams beast, and MVS does not play special teams.  KJ has a better shot than MVS

• Disagree 2

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hollins is a lock.  MVS is a goner.  MVS drops too many passes.  Hollins has mits.  Not to mention. Hollins is a special teams beast, and MVS does not play special teams.  KJ has a better shot than MVS

I think MVS makes it personally as he brings speed and a deep threat element.

He also has void years to his deal and his contract is set up to where he makes the team.

I could be wrong though

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 2

MVS is hard to read right now...on one hand, Allen seems to like him and talked him up a little bit lately and MVS has gotten some more time with the ones.  However, on the other hand, he has dropped a lot of passes and easily had the most inconsistent camp of all the WR's.  And its not a fluke, he has always had inconsistent hands too.

Meanwhile Shavers is getting a lot of hype and praise from the coaches and Allen and getting his own reps with the ones as well.  MVS does bring playoff experience and with a young WR room, that may be what saves his spot, but Shavers is making a real push to make the roster too.

I am curious to see how many WR's we end up keeping.  Part of that too obviously is will the returner be a WR or someone at another position like Hardy.  I am also curious to see what Claypool adds to the mix when he is back, but the time he missed is going to make it much harder to make this roster.  I think Claypool is going to need to have some flash moments in the preseason games for any shot, and I am not even sure when he is back.  

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think MVS makes it personally as he brings speed and a deep threat element.

He also has void years to his deal and his contract is set up to where he makes the team.

I could be wrong though

KJ is the speed guy IMO.  Last year the Bills WR couldn’t catch.  Kincaid, Hollins, Shakir, and Coleman all have excellent hands and catch percentage.  We don’t need another WR that can’t catch, like last season

On 8/5/2024 at 7:12 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

I'm sure someone has a photo of a yurt with a Bills Mafia flag on it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

KJ is the speed guy IMO.  Last year the Bills WR couldn’t catch.  Kincaid, Hollins, Shakir, and Coleman all have excellent hands and catch percentage.  We don’t need another WR that can’t catch, like last season

Ya I think it will depend on who wins the punt returning job as well

If it is Hardy, I think Hamler is gone and MVS makes it.

But if Hamler wins it, then to your point I think MVS might be in trouble

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Shorter has been injured it seems since he was drafted last year.  That's too bad because he showed something last year in the preseason when he was able to play.  And Claypool seems to have been nicked up for at least the past 10 days.  Some guys it seems have no luck and always seem to be nicked.

You just have to wonder how Brett Favre played well over 250 consecutive games.  When a guy like Shorter is always banged up.   

Brett Favre had a serious problem with pain medication.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well so much for Claypool & Bishop having an impact this year. I swear this team is snakebit.

Jesus.  A long shot WR trying to salvage his career and a rookie 2nd round safety not being ready for the opener means we’re doomed?

Get a grip.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Brand J said:

There was one along the right sideline against the Dolphins I believe, that he did drop. It was a difficult ball, but certainly catchable. Think it was the game in Buffalo.

Negative on Mia in Buffalo, Shakir was 6 for 6 in that puppy

42 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya I think it will depend on who wins the punt returning job as well

If it is Hardy, I think Hamler is gone and MVS makes it.

But if Hamler wins it, then to your point I think MVS might be in trouble

Joe Marino thinks return duties between KJ Hardy, and Isabella will determine one roster spot.  Bills will only keep 1 of those 3

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Jesus.  A long shot WR trying to salvage his career and a rookie 2nd round safety not being ready for the opener means we’re doomed?

Get a grip.

Way to take the term snakebit and exaggerate it into doom.  Jesus, get a grip. 

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Joe Marino thinks return duties between KJ Hardy, and Isabella will determine one roster spot.  Bills will only keep 1 of those 3

Hardy has had a solid camp. They'd be foolish to cut him. Isabella isn't making the roster.

MVS vs Shavers vs Hamler vs Davidson...i wonder if two or only one from this group make it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Just going off these varied camp reports, Hamler and MVS seem like the final 2 WRs innl a 6 man room. Shavers looking good and on the edge. 

Is Hollins really a lock, though?

Hollins is an absolute lock.  They love him, and he is going to play a lot.

• Agree 1