Training Camp 8/8

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Injury updates from an always reliable source:

Yeah, I didn't figure the Bishop news was going to be good. Indeed, it is not.

How long ago did he injure it? About two weeks? That would theoretically mean he has four weeks left on the sidelines, which means he misses the preseason and MAYBE has a shot to be ready for the season opener, but also maybe opens the season on PUP.

Ouch.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well so much for Claypool & Bishop having an impact this year. I swear this team is snakebit.

I mean...Bishop is reasonably likely to be ready for the season opener. It's possible he could be eased into the lineup slowly and could either start or play a major role by AT LEAST the halfway point of the season.

As for Claypool and his turf toe...yeah...I'm not too hopeful on that one.

Frankly, with the way Shavers and MVS have been playing in camp lately, I'm not too confident Claypool will make the roster anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I would not be shocked if it's 7 WR. 6 is more likely, but Brady has been preaching position less football. If it comes down to Hamler and Shavers I think they try to sneak Shavers onto the practice squad 

I call 7

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I would not be shocked if it's 7 WR. 6 is more likely, but Brady has been preaching position less football. If it comes down to Hamler and Shavers I think they try to sneak Shavers onto the practice squad 

I think i’f rather go with 4 TEs than 7 WRs, but if Hanler wins the return job- they may go with that.  As much as I like his upside, I can’t help but think that he’s just going to get broken again.  Would prefer to keep morris and Davidson.  

shakir

samuel

keon

hollins

shavers

mvs

Kingcaid

Knox

morris

Davidson

Hardy or one of the RBs on returns

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Davidson won’t make it to the PS.  Either he makes our 53 or somebody else’s.

Remember he has to be signed to a 53, so that means someone has the use one of those spots on a dude with zero production since 21, with only camp reports and coming off a serious knee injury.

I don't know man

Shavers and Davidson dance on to our PS, IMO, if we don't give them a spot on the 53

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, I didn't figure the Bishop news was going to be good. Indeed, it is not.

How long ago did he injure it? About two weeks? That would theoretically mean he has four weeks left on the sidelines, which means he misses the preseason and MAYBE has a shot to be ready for the season opener, but also maybe opens the season on PUP.

Ouch.

Well, my wildest hope was he'd win the starting job in training camp.  That wasn't happening even if he didn't get injured.   What I really was hoping was for him to get worked in as the season progressed and starting by the end of the season.  That's probably not happening, either.  More likely, like Bernard, his impact will be in year in 2.  Too bad. 

• Angry 1

if that bishop injury is accurate his whole rookie season is basically a wash.  He will have no practice time and they will be hesitant to put him in games as the season goes on.

not having your 2nd rounder as a contributor is a big blow to the team.  They needed bishop to be a player right away.

hopefully he gets on the field for the final preseason game and the report is false.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, my wildest hope was he'd win the starting job in training camp.  That wasn't happening even if he didn't get injured.   What I really was hoping was for him to get worked in as the season progressed and starting by the end of the season.  That's probably not happening, either.  More likely, like Bernard, his impact will be in year in 2.  Too bad. 

I'm not giving up hope that he will seize the starting job THIS season. Why? For one thing, there's the ever-present threat (and reality) of injuries.

The same injuries that have him on the sidelines right now could come for any of our other safeties during the season (hopefully not, but as Buddy Nix says, football is a tough game for tough payple). 

Aside from that, it's also possible that he just impresses behind the scenes and in a depth and sub-package role and slowly earns more playing time. I refuse to count out a player with the physical talent to go in the 2nd round of an NFL draft and the intangibles to be hand selected (with excitement) by Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott.

You may be right that year two will be when he really makes a big impact. You probably are. But I'm gonna stubbornly cling to my hope.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm not giving up hope that he will seize the starting job THIS season. Why? For one thing, there's the ever-present threat (and reality) of injuries.

The same injuries that have him on the sidelines right now could come for any of our other safeties during the season (hopefully not, but as Buddy Nix says, football is a tough game for tough payple). 

Aside from that, it's also possible that he just impresses behind the scenes and in a depth and sub-package role and slowly earns more playing time. I refuse to count out a player with the physical talent to go in the 2nd round of an NFL draft and the intangibles to be hand selected (with excitement) by Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott.

You may be right that year two will be when he really makes a big impact. You probably are. But I'm gonna stubbornly cling to my hope.

Yeah, I get all this, and I'm with you with the stubborn hope.   But - I think it's one of the toughest positions to play in this defense, tough in the sense that the combinations of assignments are more difficult than any other defensive position, coupled with the fact that McDermott expects players to play with no mental errors.   Really hard for a rookie to climb that ladder.  Comparable to Bernard as a rookie.  Having to watch, instead of practice, for six weeks, and still expecting him to start sometime this season is like asking him to climb the ladder with the first four rungs missing.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I get all this, and I'm with you with the stubborn hope.   But - I think it's one of the toughest positions to play in this defense, tough in the sense that the combinations of assignments are more difficult than any other defensive position, coupled with the fact that McDermott expects players to play with no mental errors.   Really hard for a rookie to climb that ladder.  Comparable to Bernard as a rookie.  Having to watch, instead of practice, for six weeks, and still expecting him to start sometime this season is like asking him to climb the ladder with the first four rungs missing.  

The eternal optimist in me wants to say "maybe being forced to watch, learn, and have extra time to study and take in what he heard in meetings instead of having to do the physical part is EXACTLY what he needs to learn the complexities of the mental part of his job at an accelerated pace", but you're probably right.

I think, as a side note, that it's interesting that Hamlin has taken almost all of the first team reps at free safety so far this camp. Yes, his primary competition has been injured, and prior to those injuries, it was a rotation. BUT...since then, Hamlin has been starting consistently, and -- as you say -- that's not easy to do in a McDermott defense. Maybe, just maybe, last year really was an anomaly and a "getting his body back up to speed after the heart trauma" year, and maybe he can be a capable starter in this defense. 

And aside from all of these considerations, the fretting all may be for naught anyway if Micah Hyde decides he wants to come back for a farewell tour.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

The eternal optimist in me wants to say "maybe being forced to watch, learn, and have extra time to study and take in what he heard in meetings instead of having to do the physical part is EXACTLY what he needs to learn the complexities of the mental part of his job at an accelerated pace", but you're probably right.

I think, as a side note, that it's interesting that Hamlin has taken almost all of the first team reps at free safety so far this camp. Yes, his primary competition has been injured, and prior to those injuries, it was a rotation. BUT...since then, Hamlin has been starting consistently, and -- as you say -- that's not easy to do in a McDermott defense. Maybe, just maybe, last year really was an anomaly and a "getting his body back up to speed after the heart trauma" year, and maybe he can be a capable starter in this defense. 

And aside from all of these considerations, the fretting all may be for naught anyway if Micah Hyde decides he wants to come back for a farewell tour.

Micah Hyde!   You ae the eternal optimist.   He's a definite maybe.  If anything though, I think he's late-season injury insurance. 

I wrote something a week ago or more about Hamlin.  I think 2023 was an extended training camp for Hamlin.   I know that in a strict physiological sense, he was good to go last July, but I have to think that when your body has been through the ultimate of traumatic experiences - total heart stoppage, your body takes a long time to recover.  I know from surgeries and general anesthesia that my body was still recovering for months after every incision and other pure physical stress was gone.  

And I think Hamlin is the perfect example of how long it takes to learn the position.  He did more or less nothing his rookie season and didn't exactly light it up his second season.  Then the injury.  Then a year of extended training camp.  This is the first season when I think we will see what his full potential is.   He's learned almost all of what he needs to learn (or he'll never learn it) and his body is finally ready to go.  

I think Hamlin will surprise many people this season, I hope and expect to see more of Bishop later in the season, but not as a starter, and I hope we don't need Hyde.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Injury updates from an always reliable source:

We sure that's a reliable source? That's not the same CJ that always had the schedule leaks. And account now looks like it's been deleted. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think i’f rather go with 4 TEs than 7 WRs, but if Hanler wins the return job- they may go with that.  As much as I like his upside, I can’t help but think that he’s just going to get broken again.  Would prefer to keep morris and Davidson.  

shakir

samuel

keon

hollins

shavers

mvs

Kingcaid

Knox

morris

Davidson

Hardy or one of the RBs on returns

I will say that after being pretty doom and Gloom about our receiving prospects in April and May I am pleasantly surprised to be having discussions of how deep we are.

Chase Claypool had what, two 800+ yard seasons and right now he's on the outside looking in with a rookie who looks like he can do what Claypool does better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Micah Hyde!   You ae the eternal optimist.   He's a definite maybe.  If anything though, I think he's late-season injury insurance. 

I wrote something a week ago or more about Hamlin.  I think 2023 was an extended training camp for Hamlin.   I know that in a strict physiological sense, he was good to go last July, but I have to think that when your body has been through the ultimate of traumatic experiences - total heart stoppage, your body takes a long time to recover.  I know from surgeries and general anesthesia that my body was still recovering for months after every incision and other pure physical stress was gone.  

And I think Hamlin is the perfect example of how long it takes to learn the position.  He did more or less nothing his rookie season and didn't exactly light it up his second season.  Then the injury.  Then a year of extended training camp.  This is the first season when I think we will see what his full potential is.   He's learned almost all of what he needs to learn (or he'll never learn it) and his body is finally ready to go.  

I think Hamlin will surprise many people this season, I hope and expect to see more of Bishop later in the season, but not as a starter, and I hope we don't need Hyde.  

I agree that with McDermott's track record rookie defenders really have to earn their spot. The thing is, drafting guys and forcing them to beat out journeymen/putting them in the role has kind of been working. Milano started behind Humber, Epenesa was rotated in, Bernard had to earn his spot and so has Elam.

Some have washed out, but they were never forced to be the sole point of failure