Training Camp 8/8

I know he got a late start and had to learn the playbook, but I find it curious that a veteran as tenured as Kareem Jackson hasn't even sniffed second team reps yet. Ditto Terrell Burgess. I would've thought they would comprise the second time by now for sure. 

Who knows, maybe the youngsters are showing out. Jahleel Addae may turn out to be an ace secondary coach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

First it was Kincaid, then Josh and now McD.

For those that just want to say "nothing to see here".

Okey dokey

I don't get why they're all being so mean about Gabe Davis. He wasn't that bad was he?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

Not a ton of overly notable items from today's practice. They also wrapped up a bit early. Offense and Defense took turns with some solid plays here and there for much of it, but tough to tell a lot as they were going like 3/4 speed for a lot of it.

With that said -

As reports have stated, the Josh to MVS connection seems to be ramping up. He found MVS deep early on and also had a nice attempt and route on a deep post that got broken up.

I noticed today that Josh was very focused on patience within the play, and often took the 3rd or 4th read on many of the pass plays for a solid but unspectacular completion and yardage gain.

Shakir was Mr. dependable all over the field today, getting open in short and medium zones, making himself QB friendly and securing the grab (he must have had 6 catches out there in 11 on 11) and some decent RAC.

The Bills edge rushers flashed at times (Von, Solomon, Smoot in particular) in getting good angles around the edge that may have affected a few of the plays.

I see no path for Isabella, Shorter, Claypool, Johnson, Keys, etc. to make this team, beyond some sort of practice squad stashing. It feels like IF they keep 6 WR's, the final spot will be down to Hamler and Shavers based on what I've seen.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

20 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I see no path for Isabella, Shorter, Claypool, Johnson, Keys, etc. to make this team, beyond some sort of practice squad stashing. It feels like IF they keep 6 WR's, the final spot will be down to Hamler and Shavers based on what I've seen.

The only path for any of these guys is an injury to someone ahead of them in the pecking order.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know he got a late start and had to learn the playbook, but I find it curious that a veteran as tenured as Kareem Jackson hasn't even sniffed second team reps yet. Ditto Terrell Burgess. I would've thought they would comprise the second time by now for sure. 

Who knows, maybe the youngsters are showing out. Jahleel Addae may turn out to be an ace secondary coach.

You have to remember also that both these guys have been on the couch all year.  No matter their workout regimen, they were not going to be in football shape.  McD said he hoped they would be able to fully participate by next week physically and mentally, so their place on the depth chart and lack of reps is not surprising.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Not a ton of overly notable items from today's practice. They also wrapped up a bit early. Offense and Defense took turns with some solid plays here and there for much of it, but tough to tell a lot as they were going like 3/4 speed for a lot of it.

With that said -

As reports have stated, the Josh to MVS connection seems to be ramping up. He found MVS deep early on and also had a nice attempt and route on a deep post that got broken up.

I noticed today that Josh was very focused on patience within the play, and often took the 3rd or 4th read on many of the pass plays for a solid but unspectacular completion and yardage gain.

Shakir was Mr. dependable all over the field today, getting open in short and medium zones, making himself QB friendly and securing the grab (he must have had 6 catches out there in 11 on 11) and some decent RAC.

The Bills edge rushers flashed at times (Von, Solomon, Smoot in particular) in getting good angles around the edge that may have affected a few of the plays.

I would not be shocked if it's 7 WR. 6 is more likely, but Brady has been preaching position less football. If it comes down to Hamler and Shavers I think they try to sneak Shavers onto the practice squad 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I would not be shocked if it's 7 WR. 6 is more likely, but Brady has been preaching position less football. If it comes down to Hamler and Shavers I think they try to sneak Shavers onto the practice squad 

Even more interesting with Davidson being so productive at TE

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Josh was very focused on patience within the play, and often took the 3rd or 4th read on many of the pass plays for a solid but unspectacular completion and yardage gain.

Music to my ears.  Take the easy, unspectacular positive yardage, play after play.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Haha, that's the best PBP announcing clip of ALL-TIME!  Dierdorf adding comic relief and perfect timing...

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Music to my ears.  Take the easy, unspectacular positive yardage, play after play.    

Eventually he will get bored of that tho...it's like being a Ferrari and asked to drive in a 30 mph zone the whole game.

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Shakir didn't drop a single catchable ball last year

There was one along the right sideline against the Dolphins I believe, that he did drop. It was a difficult ball, but certainly catchable. Think it was the game in Buffalo.

53 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Even more interesting with Davidson being so productive at TE

Yes - imagine an additional 6'7" option if they decided to ever go 3 TEs

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Yes - imagine an additional 6'7" option if they decided to ever go 3 TEs

Someone mentioned cutting Gilliam and using a TE as fullback.  How about 3 TEs with Knox in the backfield? I think you'd need to have one set back off the LS like a wingback but if you did that you'd have all that size that you could pass to...or hand off to Cook and nobody would be able to find him amongst the trees.

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Eventually he will get bored of that tho...it's like being a Ferrari and asked to drive in a 30 mph zone the whole game.

I don't think so. I think he will enjoy winning too much, and he'll keep on doing it. Within this offense he will have plenty of opportunities to throw the bombs.