Cleveland offense- Dorsey

BobbyC81

In case any of you missed it, Ken Dorsey was hired as OC of the Browns.  Of course his role is somewhat affected by his head coach, Stefanski, being an offensive coach.

Just read that the Browns plan to run an uptempo offense to have as many plays as they can.  Stefanski was quoted as saying “we still need to adapt to the defense we’re playing with game plans.

Doesn’t that take imagination, which Dorsey seemed to be lacking?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BobbyC81 said:

In case any of you missed it, Ken Dorsey was hired as OC of the Browns.  Of course his role is somewhat affected by his head coach, Stefanski, being an offensive coach.

Just read that the Browns plan to run an uptempo offense to have as many plays as they can.  Stefanski was quoted as saying “we still need to adapt to the defense we’re playing with game plans.

I think Dorsey was good. Tough being a first-time OC. I think he will only get better. 

That said, he isn’t calling the plays in Cleveland. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Uptempo huh?  What a novel approach.  Sounds like whoever came up with it is trying very hard to be the OC at Ohio State.

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes Dorsey, the one OC who DIDN'T automatically call QB power when he was out of ideas as to how to move the ball on the ground...he's the one who lacked imagination :doh:

Josh had a career high in carries in Ken Dorsey's only full season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

54 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Dorsey gets coffee in Cleveland, he doesn’t do anything a normal OC does. He’s Curt Modkins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think Dorsey was good. Tough being a first-time OC. I think he will only get better. 

That said, he isn’t calling the plays in Cleveland. 

Being in Cleveland will be great for Dorsey.  Dorsey already knows a lot about running an offense - though not enough.  Stefanski will mentor him and maybe get him over the top.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Being in Cleveland will be great for Dorsey.  Dorsey already knows a lot about running an offense - though not enough.  Stefanski will mentor him and maybe get him over the top.  

agree completely. He will learn a ton from stefanski. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Why do you think Dorsey lacked imagination? I just think his concepts and scheme didn't align well with Josh Allen's strengths and weaknesses. Josh Allen needs a little less structure and a little more room to improvise.

• Agree 1

Dorsey got fired, the Bills did better.....but I think he gets way over blamed...he was the fall guy when the defensive or teams staff did not know how to get 11 guys on the field.   The Bills clearly tried to get Josh to run less and after Dorsey was fired, the season in peril, the training wheels came off, Brady had Josh the runner at his disposal.

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why do you think Dorsey lacked imagination? I just think his concepts and scheme didn't align well with Josh Allen's strengths and weaknesses. Josh Allen needs a little less structure and a little more room to improvise.

I never said he lacked imagination - though I wouldn't disagree with that assessment.  

I think he had some slumps as a playcaller where he'd call low-percentage and/or predictable plays.  

I also think he was poor with schemes.  Too often we saw Josh scan the field and not find anyone open.  

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes but reportedly Josh made decisions to run ball more often than it was called.

Was that due to play design or execution of team?

2 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Yes but reportedly Josh made decisions to run ball more often than it was called.

Probably because we were stumbling with Dorsey’s offense and Josh had to do SOMETHING and that something involved Josh lowering his shoulder.

If under Dorsey, we called less QB runs but Josh had to run more because the play was broken/didn’t work, it’s really 6 and 1/2 dozen. Either way, Josh ran too much with him throwing clipboard in the booth. Sayonara to the EPA king.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Josh has done that his whole career. And he always will. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He was also sacked the second most times in his career, damn Dorsey for calling all those sack plays!

I figured you knew better than to conflate rush attempts w called QB runs, maybe you don't. Regardless, I have a feeling this season is going to be eye opening for a lot of folks

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I thought Dorsey's play designs were pretty good overall. When things went well the Bills were curb stomping teams. I don't know the reason for lack of Allen run plays but that, lack of play action and lack of motion hurt the Offense. I wish him the best in Cleveland

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He was also sacked the second most times in his career, damn Dorsey for calling all those sack plays!

I figured you knew better than to conflate rush attempts w called QB runs, maybe you don't. Regardless, I have a feeling this season is going to be eye opening for a lot of folks

Unfortunately this is probably true.  Brady is being painted as a hero and Dorsey as the scapegoat but these are false narratives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Unfortunately this is probably true.  Brady is being painted as a hero and Dorsey as the scapegoat but these are false narratives.

Fwiw I hope I'm wrong about this coming year the g tobviously 

But the roster+what we saw last season leads me to believe they're going w a much more conservative approach and I think it's going to produce a significantly less productive offense