Training Camp - 8/7

Simon

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Let's throw some gas on the fire with this mcdermott special of a depth chart

Love the depth at a lot of positions but a Rapp/Hamlin safety tandem is a problem. Two guys with no sense of coverage. They fly all over trying to make the big hit every play. Don’t like it

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Wonder how he compares to other "elite" rbs and their respective drops?    Can a rb even be elite if hes putting the ball on the ground so much?  

Cook had 6 drops last year. He only had 3 the prior year on fewer touches.

Christian McCaffrey had 6 drops in 2022. He had 7 drops in 2019. He had zero in 2023. 

So I'd say he if McCaffrey is the current gold standard for elite dual threat RB he is not that far removed from the very best. 

Does Cook need to get better.  Yes. But even the very very best drop some from time to time 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

Love the depth at a lot of positions but a Rapp/Hamlin safety tandem is a problem. Two guys with no sense of coverage. They fly all over trying to make the big hit every play. Don’t like it

That was your takeaway? :lol:

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

He does this every year deferring to the veterans on the team. Doesn't mean much right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Hamlin either must be showing something or he's going to be cut.  For him to be at #1 when he didn't dress last year...seems like McDermott might be doing this to market him for other teams.  "He held onto the #1 spot on the depth chart until end of camp...."

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

46, 52

Hmmm.  If it was something with the holder or a physical thing with his plant or leg swing they would likely have identified it by now.  Suggests to me it’s a mental thing, and if so they really need to be looking for somebody.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Josh made a comment during his presser that this team feels more like a family than ever before.  I don’t want to reach and say it’s a shot at Diggs, but it’s the first thing that comes to mind. 

I do wonder if this is more about him having more input in the offense and players coming in this time around.  

Everybody knows Mitch Morse and Tre White were locker room cancers.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I don't think anyone else in the safety room falls outside of that persona right now.

Did we see enough of Cole Bishop before the injury to have much of an impression? The way they draft and coach up DB’s I’m very hopeful there, eventually. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

Did we see enough of Cole Bishop before the injury to have much of an impression? The way they draft and coach up DB’s I’m very hopeful there, eventually. 

Not really. We need to see him play in games. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hamlin either must be showing something or he's going to be cut.  For him to be at #1 when he didn't dress last year...seems like McDermott might be doing this to market him for other teams.  "He held onto the #1 spot on the depth chart until end of camp...."

Or he's just.. playing well?  The rookie was already going to have to earn his spot, and its hard to do that from the bike.  Edwards imo was never really brought in to necessarily start unless he also earned it, just a depth piece you can move around.  

There is a starting safety spot open even with Rapp and the rookie.  Mentioned it somewhere else but Lewis has been here since 2019, Hamlin since 2021 - Part of why they're ok with losing poyer was that they've seen enough from both of them in practice that they're comfortable going in a different direction.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

Wonder how he compares to other "elite" rbs and their respective drops?    Can a rb even be elite if hes putting the ball on the ground so much?  

Good question.

As far as RB doing rushing attempts, Cook was the worst of the top-10 backs with 59 rush attempts per fumble.  There were 2 others in the top 20 who were worse, Raheem Mostert and Rhamondre Stevenson.  It's a variable year to year, though - in 2023, Derrick Henry had 280 attempts with 0 fumbles, but the previous year was 58 attempts per fumble - same as Cook.

So it can be fixed.

Pass attempts are trickier because there are a lot more variables - was it scored as a drop (not an official stat)? should it have been? was it a catch than a fumble?

• Thank you (+1) 2

I can already see that the Hollins stuff is going to be more aggravating then anything. I’m glad he’s fun and a good story but the guy is not good enough to be a starting WR in the NFL. He’s like a 4/5 on a decent team. I can see McDermott is going to Frank Gore this guy down our throats because of off the field events. You just have to get the best players out there and if this guy is even in the conversation, then we didn’t do enough at WR. Him being on the team is fine….but he can’t be starting over Keon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Lol. The guy caught 81.5% of his targets last year and lost 1 fumble.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Let's throw some gas on the fire with this mcdermott special of a depth chart

this will have to change imo

If hollins is playing over Coleman week1 something has gone wrong

• Like (+1) 1