Training Camp - 8/7

Simon

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Hmmm.  If it was something with the holder or a physical thing with his plant or leg swing they would likely have identified it by now.  Suggests to me it’s a mental thing, and if so they really need to be looking for somebody.

He made 4 field goals today. One from 50.

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

He made 4 field goals today. One from 50.

He was 1/3 outside 45 yrds.

With no pressure.

He is currently a problem.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

And he was 6/6 the previous day as well.

You can cover your eyes and ears yelling lalalalalala all you want.

He is struggling outside 45 yrds and is a problem for the Bills at this point in time.

Could that change? Of course.

But if it doesn't, then he is a problem.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I guess that would be average if you were Stephen Hauschka post-Henry Anderson, which is why the Bills drafted a kicker in the 6th round to begin with.

1 hour ago, bills742 said:

Has anyone heard about snapping issues from McGovern recently? No news would presumably be good news.

I think that whole thing was an overblown 'camp narrative'.  The couple missed exchanges under center Josh said were his fault because his hands were sweaty - Josh, McGovern, and McD all said not worried at all about the shotgun snaps - consistency will come with reps

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bass yes

Cook no

Cook has two years left on his rookie deal. He isn't going anywhere. He's an elite RB. Best the Bills have had since Shady.

Not if he can't be counted on to catch the ball.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

You can cover your eyes and ears yelling lalalalalala all you want.

He is struggling outside 45 yrds and is a problem for the Bills at this point in time.

Could that change? Of course.

But if it doesn't, then he is a problem.

You could take your own advice as well.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No.

Alas, we will never know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Any word on how Van Pran is doing? I heard maybe about a week ago he was getting some first team reps due to a very minor injury to one of the interior guys and he was doing well. I loved the pick at the time getting him in the early 5th round when I thought he was a third round or so talent. Heard some minor positive buzz on him but just curious to see if anything else has come out on him?

• Simon unpinned this topic
11 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Is that so?  I better start collecting his rookie cards then 

Do you pay attention to Bills camp Mr Snarky?  Davidson has been standing out every day 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Low Positive said:

You can’t go right from the melon patch to the NFL. Gotta learn from the bench.

seems that theory didn't work out

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

this will have to change imo

If hollins is playing over Coleman week1 something has gone wrong

you'd think

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Lol. The guy caught 81.5% of his targets last year and lost 1 fumble.  

Getting lost in the Fumble stat weeds and excluding every thing else is a problem for some…, 

20 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

C'mon Cook!

This is really starting to get concerning with the drops and fumbles.  How short is the leash I'm wondering?

Ok McD, take the advise of Vince Lombardi

Spoken to Donny Anderson as he was replacing the great Paul Horning.

"I never want to see you in the rest of training camp without a football in your hands, not on the field, not in the dressing room, not in the cafeteria, not eating, not in the shower, not at the movies, not in a meeting, not sleeping". 

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

He most definitely lost 2 fumbles, and both lead to points in close games.  Both were fumbles just outside the red zone that led to points.  First in the Denver game and then second in the Chargers game.  The second one was costly cause it allowed them to take a 4th quarter lead late into the game.  Those are pretty costly fumbles.  I do think these things are correctable but they have super tough to watch.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

? Where did you obtain this info?  Perhaps this is "fumbles lost", not "fumbles"?  I think it's important to look at total fumbles, since statistics say it's 50/50 who recovers once the ball goes on the ground.

Cook had 4 fumbles last season.  Whether this was running after a catch, or just running, that's 281 touches/4 fumbles which is 1 fumble every 70 touches or 1 fumble every 59 rush attempts ; the 9 backs ahead of him for rush attempts were all significantly more rush attempts per fumble - and so were the 9 backs immediately following him.  2nd lowest was Tony Pollard with 1 fumble every 81 rush attempts. 

Of note, are the change in this from year to year; backs can and do improve.

On passes, yes, he caught 81.5% of his targets.  Good pass catching RBs usually have catch percentage of 80% or better because they're catching short passes.  But Cook had 6 scored drops on 54 targets.  That's more than 11%.  If he hung on to half of those, he'd have a catch % of 87%, which would put him up with Kamara, Pacheco, and Rachad White - a top stat, but not unrealistic or unachievable.

Bottom line should we pillory the guy, No, but he can do better, and if he wants to be a key player who helps the team to a championship, we need him to do better.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1