Facial recognition software FOR SOME EMPLOYEES at stadiums this year.

Gregg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

They want to know everywhere you’ve been so they can get you all your targeted ads to feed you on platforms, streaming services, etc.  

Follow the money.  Or Big Brother.  Probably both.  

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting - I guess based on comments, taking sunglasses off will be a requirement to enter stadium?

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Unfortunately not.

Advanced systems now use periocular recognition, which identifies people by their eyes. It was (in part) developed due to covid and needing to identify people wearing large face masks. 

Once they grab your eye, it is passed through multiple layers of pooling and activation functions that essentially develop a feature map. This map is then divided into local and global branches, where the local branches focus on specific areas within the periocular region (iris), while the global branch considers the entire periocular area (lashes, lid). The vector of the query image is then compared to a database of known feature vectors using similarity metrics. The system then calculates the similarity scores and spits out the best match.

58 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sunglasses.

me getting ready to go into the Bills game...

toy-story-mr-potato-head.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

But, as far as I know, periocular recognition requires that you look straight into a camera; facial recognition systems that pick people out of a crowd require the full face.

If used in a stadium context, they would likely be stationed right after you walk through the metal detector. Eye level detection would be hard to avoid with such a confined space. 

Shyte!

I got booted circa 2015 for sneaking a beer into the family section. I was supposed to take a $250 code of conduct course before coming back in. 

I never did it.

See you guys at the opener!

conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Shyte!

I got booted circa 2015 for sneaking a beer into the family section. I was supposed to take a $250 code of conduct course before coming back in. 

I never did it.

See you guys at the opener!

conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

Jesus dude, my mom warned me of people like you!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Would be nice to know what they plan on using this data for. To help an investigation of a crime that already occurred. It’s not like there’s a “no fly” list for NFL games. Unless they plan on using to start tracking banned fans. 

I always wondered how they could keep anybody on a “no fly” from going in the stadium. They say they ban  a guy for life from the stadium. How?

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

This is problematical, because there are a bunch of known cases where facial recognition does not work as well on certain people (specifics omitted). 

So if we're going to start denying access to people or removing people, we better be jolly damned sure they're the right people.

i'm with you on this.  the woman who was kicked out of radio city was taking her daughter and her girl scout troop to the show.  they allowed the daughter to day, but the mom was out.  that must be a tough moment to sort out.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Every time I walk by one, they just read ‘handsome.’ 

And well hung too…, 🤣

5 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

The  good reason is to help keep out the people who repeatedly start fights and act like morons. There could be other aspects that are less noble. 

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

In stadium fights or breaking any kind of laws might help with law enforcement and/or succeed in banning criminals from entering the stadium etc. While I don't like it I can see reasons that it could be used. 

Everyone knows that's when send a buddy over to buy a round or two. 

Wouldn't they have to have caught the brawlers at least once in order to recognize them the next time?  

also, why would they ban people with a criminal record?   or did you mean fugitives? 

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

what does this mean for the awful people who scalp tickets?  Does it matter at all?

no one scalps tickets anymore...

5 hours ago, teef said:

i've heard that even wegmans has been doing this for years.  within the last couple of years, a woman was kicked out of a radio city music hall christmas concert because facial recognition picked her up as someone that worked for the law firm that was suing the company that owned radio city.  

I’m hoping there is a lot more that I don’t know, here. That seems irrationally vindictive. It’s NOT personal, or it shouldn’t be anyway. 

I actually love the digital ID at the airport. No more retinal scanning, just walk up and stand in a circle about 6 feet away from the guy. You show him nothing, but in a second he says “thank you, Augie”, like we’re old friends. 

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Interesting - I guess based on comments, taking sunglasses off will be a requirement to enter stadium?

I’d rather take off my sunglasses than my shoes, which seems to be arbitrary by airport. Usually no need to remove shoes, but sometimes you have to. Take off your shoes on the plane and you should be subject to punishment! 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d rather take off my sunglasses than my shoes, which seems to be arbitrary by airport. Usually no need to remove shoes, but sometimes you have to. Take off your shoes on the plane and you should be subject to punishment! 

Imagine if that one guy had put the bomb in his underwear instead of his shoe. Air travel would be quite a different experience!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m hoping there is a lot more that I don’t know, here. That seems irrationally vindictive. It’s NOT personal, or it shouldn’t be anyway. 

I actually love the digital ID at the airport. No more retinal scanning, just walk up and stand in a circle about 6 feet away from the guy. You show him nothing, but in a second he says “thank you, Augie”, like we’re old friends. 

the uses as invasive as they are, are somewhat interesting.  there's a plan to put recognition on those mall maps and on the entrances to stores.  it would recognize your shopping habits and show you a path you may want to take.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

the uses as invasive as they are, are somewhat interesting.  there's a plan to put recognition on those mall maps and on the entrances to stores.  it would recognize your shopping habits and show you a path you may want to take.  

An old college buddy sent me a video of a service dog in a weed dispensary, then he scanned the store. He thought the DOG was inappropriate. One kid at the end of the clip saw what was happening and gave him a sideways stink eye, like….you’re not going to show my parents that, are you? The clip ended on him. I told him the dog was probably less of a problem than you recording all the people waiting to buy some weed. He made an oops! The screen shot of the kid giving him the side eye look is hysterical, but I suppose me sharing it would be the VERY LAST THING he would want. 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wouldn't they have to have caught the brawlers at least once in order to recognize them the next time?  

Yes, when we went to games in the 90s we saw the same group of  guys get into fights multiple times but kept coming back to other games. I know it was same guys because they would park near us, and sat close to us but they were not friendly once they got hammered.

• Like (+1) 1