Facial recognition software FOR SOME EMPLOYEES at stadiums this year.

Gregg

I wonder if NFL will sell the information - I know Facebook does of members including id they are now requiring.

I wonder how they will treat women who for religious reasons keep their face covered?

One of my banks had sign that you needed to take off sunglasses and hats for security reasons; I wear colored lenses which are not sunglasses for eye issue and I spoke to manager and he said I could choose to use drive thru and I told him that I can choose to move my funds to another bank.  He contacted headquarters and they told him to tell me to just show driver license when I go into bank.  

Some men have hair which grows very, very fast - this can be an advantage if they shave photo indented issue but probably only once or twice.

• Haha (+1) 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

why would they need to know the identity of everyone in the stadium?

In stadium fights or breaking any kind of laws might help with law enforcement and/or succeed in banning criminals from entering the stadium etc. While I don't like it I can see reasons that it could be used. 

18 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

After 3 trips for beer YOU ARE THROUGH,  Alarms 

Everyone knows that's when send a buddy over to buy a round or two. 

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

In stadium fights or breaking any kind of laws might help with law enforcement and/or succeed in banning criminals from entering the stadium etc. While I don't like it I can see reasons that it could be used. 

Great plan 👍 

The study in the first link is a little old. Which made me think the technology has solved this. But then I found the article in the 2nd link. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261043966_Can_facial_cosmetics_affect_the_matching_accuracy_of_face_recognition_systems

This one observation stood out to me

"The impact due to the application of eye makeup is

indicated to be the most pronounced. Individuals at-

tempting to obfuscate (i.e., camouflage) their identity

from a face recognition system may be able to do so

by incorporating non-permanent cosmetic alterations

to their ocular region. Since makeup is a socially ac-

ceptable cosmetic modification in most societies, these

results indicate the possibility of compromising the se-

curity of a face or periocular biometric system"

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k78v9m/researchers-defeated-advanced-facial-recognition-tech-using-makeup

There needs to be more face painting stands advertised accordingly.

Edited by Fleezoid

2 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

As I've mentioned before in posts,  I'm an airline pilot, and when I'm returning from international flying, approaching the customs desk( at certain airports) some camera somewhere is taking a picture of my face. Before I can say a word, and without pulling out any paperwork or passport, the agent knows my name, and what my flight number and departure airport were.  Big brother IS watching.

Exactly when going to London this year they asked me my purpose using my name before I handed them anything. 

Which begs the question why can they do that at all the airports and get rid of the security lines or at least speed them up!! 

Passport control is at least twice as fast as airport security. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Exactly when going to London this year they asked me my purpose using my name before I handed them anything. 

Which begs the question why can they do that at all the airports and get rid of the security lines or at least speed them up!! 

Passport control is at least twice as fast as airport security. 

Interesting. They didn’t ask me anything at Heathrow. 😳(Kidding) 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

is easily defeated by... wearing a mask  :bag:

Unfortunately not.

Advanced systems now use periocular recognition, which identifies people by their eyes. It was (in part) developed due to covid and needing to identify people wearing large face masks. 

Once they grab your eye, it is passed through multiple layers of pooling and activation functions that essentially develop a feature map. This map is then divided into local and global branches, where the local branches focus on specific areas within the periocular region (iris), while the global branch considers the entire periocular area (lashes, lid). The vector of the query image is then compared to a database of known feature vectors using similarity metrics. The system then calculates the similarity scores and spits out the best match.

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. have been doing this for years for anti-theft deterrent reasons....even if the stores know you are stealing, they will allow you to walk out, for the most part unscathed, but keep your face recognition profile on file until your gradual theft reaches around $1,500, where it then changes from a misdemeanor to a felony....once it reaches that point, they can not only legally prosecute you to the full extent, they can legally publish your name and likeness.

When the thieves think they are pretty smart, big brother is smarter.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Unfortunately not.

Advanced systems now use periocular recognition, which identifies people by their eyes. It was (in part) developed due to covid and needing to identify people wearing large face masks. 

Once they grab your eye, it is passed through multiple layers of pooling and activation functions that essentially develop a feature map. This map is then divided into local and global branches, where the local branches focus on specific areas within the periocular region (iris), while the global branch considers the entire periocular area (lashes, lid). The vector of the query image is then compared to a database of known feature vectors using similarity metrics. The system then calculates the similarity scores and spits out the best match.

agreed.  to piggyback off of these comments is the wegmans story.  I became aware of the wegmans facial recognition during a conversation on the radio.  a caller explained that he was banned from the store for seating an excessive amount of meat, steak, etc.    during covid, he decided to run in with a mask on just to grab a few things for convenience.  within minutes of being in the store, they walked his ass right out.  even with the mask, he was quickly identified.  

• Shocked 1

this whole thing is scary lol, a long time friend posted a team picture of our Mite Hockey team... from like 40+ years ago... FB facially recognized our 7 year old faces  and automatically tagged all of us... 

• Shocked 2

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Unfortunately not.

Sunglasses.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

As I've mentioned before in posts,  I'm an airline pilot, and when I'm returning from international flying, approaching the customs desk( at certain airports) some camera somewhere is taking a picture of my face. Before I can say a word, and without pulling out any paperwork or passport, the agent knows my name, and what my flight number and departure airport were.  Big brother IS watching.

We flew to Vancouver and back this spring and something similar was in place.  We also had to do some pre-boarding program with Alaska Airlines where we uploaded a photograph of our passport, then there was a camera set up to photograph us as we boarded; passengers who hadn't done the ore-boarding program or who didn't want themselves photographed on boarding were called up to the customer service desk.   Same boarding the cruise ship and disembarking from the cruise ship.

2 hours ago, teef said:

i've heard that even wegmans has been doing this for years.  within the last couple of years, a woman was kicked out of a radio city music hall christmas concert because facial recognition picked her up as someone that worked for the law firm that was suing the company that owned radio city.  

This is problematical, because there are a bunch of known cases where facial recognition does not work as well on certain people (specifics omitted). 

So if we're going to start denying access to people or removing people, we better be jolly damned sure they're the right people.

Would be nice to know what they plan on using this data for. To help an investigation of a crime that already occurred. It’s not like there’s a “no fly” list for NFL games. Unless they plan on using to start tracking banned fans. 

39 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Unfortunately not.

I understand China was a leader in developing this techology, in part because of their strict masking requirements.

But, as far as I know, periocular recognition requires that you look straight into a camera; facial recognition systems that pick people out of a crowd require the full face.

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sunglasses.

They make you take these off.  But I'm wondering if colored contact lenses and dramatic eye makeup would foil the system.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Which will hopefully deter them from going at all.. so I hopefully won't have to encounter fights when I'm tailgating or walking to the stadium.