Hard Knocks 2024: Chicago Bears

ChiGoose

Just watched the first episode of Hard Knocks with the Bears. Thought I would put a thread out here in case anyone else is watching. 

My initial thoughts:

Overall, I enjoyed it. Lots of great shots of Chicago even though the Bears hold their training camp in Lake Forest. 

Obviously a lot of focus on Caleb Williams, though I would have liked more of Rome Odunze. 

The Jonathan Owens - Simone Biles segments were heartwarming. Definitely my wife’s favorite part. 

My wife grew up a Bears fan but has mostly sided with my Bills in recent years. It’s interesting to see her get invested a bit back into the local team with this. 

Looking forward to watching the Bills preseason game against the Bears on Saturday and following up with next week’s episode afterwards.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Just watched the first episode of Hard Knocks with the Bears. Thought I would put a thread out here in case anyone else is watching. 

My initial thoughts:

Overall, I enjoyed it. Lots of great shots of Chicago even though the Bears hold their training camp in Lake Forest. 

Obviously a lot of focus on Caleb Williams, though I would have liked more of Rome Odunze. 

The Jonathan Owens - Simone Biles segments were heartwarming. Definitely my wife’s favorite part. 

My wife grew up a Bears fan but has mostly sided with my Bills in recent years. It’s interesting to see her get invested a bit back into the local team with this. 

Looking forward to watching the Bills preseason game against the Bears on Saturday and following up with next week’s episode afterwards.

I really enjoyed the Giants offseason one and so far this Bears one is also off to a good start.  My wife knew about Owens and Biles where I found out during the show, so yeah that was a cool segment that both her and I enjoyed.  I thought the segment with Saban was really good too and it gave great insight into what really goes into developing a QB in the NFL that is coming in as a highly drafted rookie with high expectations.  

Funny you mention the shots of Chicago because the first thing we said in the opening of the show was about how it just reminded us how much we want to go to Chicago still as neither of us have been before but have always wanted to go.  There are some restaurants that are on our list there like Alinea, Monteverde, etc we want to experience as well.  We have a 15 month old son and a 2nd son due in October, and our plan is to take them every year to see a Bills game and a Niners game (my wife is die hard niners fan) but also take them places like Wrigley Field and other historic and iconic sports venues across the country.  So that coverage of Chicago just also got us amped up about that as well.  

All in all, I definitely enjoyed the show.  I would have liked to have seen more coverage of Rome Odunze though, he was one of my favorite players in the draft.  But I expect we will see more of him as the show goes forward as I get why Caleb got so much screen time in the first episode.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Funny you mention the shots of Chicago because the first thing we said in the opening of the show was about how it just reminded us how much we want to go to Chicago still as neither of us have been before but have always wanted to go.  There are some restaurants that are on our list there like Alinea, Monteverde, etc we want to experience as well.  We have a 15 month old son and a 2nd son due in October, and our plan is to take them every year to see a Bills game and a Niners game (my wife is die hard niners fan) but also take them places like Wrigley Field and other historic and iconic sports venues across the country.  So that coverage of Chicago just also got us amped up about that as well.  

Highly recommend a visit to Chicago. We were there earlier this summer and stayed near the Magnificent Mile and went on an architectural boat tour which was outstanding.
Not a Starbucks fan but was impressed by the largest Starbucks in the world on the MM. Did not rent a car and used public transport to/from the airport and everywhere else and it was reliable and easy to use.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When the opening credits started to roll with the shots of downtown, my wife put her phone down and locked eyes on the tv with a big smile on her face.

I moved to Chicago about 15 years ago and have had no regrets. Absolutely love this city. For the first 10+ years, I was also taking the train into the Loop basically every day, which is a great way to commute. 

Lots of great restaurants and places to see, plus the garbage is kept in alleys behind buildings instead of piled up in bags on the sidewalk like NYC. First time my parents came to visit, we walked all around town and my dad said "New York smells like garbage, Chicago smells like food."

The few times I get to actually travel, I like to check out Atlas Obscura for different things to see. It has quite a few cool things to see in Chicago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Highly recommend a visit to Chicago. We were there earlier this summer and stayed near the Magnificent Mile and went on an architectural boat tour which was outstanding.
Not a Starbucks fan but was impressed by the largest Starbucks in the world on the MM. Did not rent a car and used public transport to/from the airport and everywhere else and it was reliable and easy to use.

Chicago was the first American city I visited and I absolutely loved it. I've been itching to go back (since 2005) but not had the means or opportunity yet. We got the train from O'Hare to downtown and used "The El" everywhere we went. We had the best night out ever on Rust St ( I think!) which nearly caused us to miss our flight to NY the next day.

Edited by BritBill

I liked it. It’s off to a good start.  There were a lot of nice moments.  Despite the criticism the show receives routinely, I find it intriguing to get an inside look at the various team’s facilities and offices.

As usual, it continues to provide cringe worthy scenes like that Canadian football player. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Chicago Bears with an elite QB talent for the first time in franchise history is an underrated development for the NFL: it is huge.  The most QB-starved franchise in the entire league.

Not ready to hop on the Caleb can play train. Chicago did a good job getting legit solid starting skill talent around him. 

The Bears got a hyped up early season vibe that they’ve not had in a while. That and watching a #1 rookie QB is prime.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Going for first time next weekend - staying at the north end of the loop by the river across from the end of the MM - plan to do a lot of walking.  Also got tickets to a Cubs game.  Looking forward to it