Was Frodo Baggins Indonesian?

TBBills Fan

https://www.popsci.com/science/hobbit-fossils/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/08/06/science/*****-floresiensis-hobbit-fossils-humerus

We are learning more and more every year about how much we don't know.   

Our past, including how we came to be (like space and a few other subjects) is fascinating to me 

Edited by TBBills Fan

Somewhat related in terms of exploration/discoveries, but I was watching an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson yesterday and a man asked him the question (paraphrasing) “If there is life on another planet in the universe and we’ve been looking, why haven’t we found any evidence?  You would think if there was we would have found some type of evidence by now.”  

His response was “That would be like taking a water glass to the beach, filling it up with ocean water, and then coming to the conclusion that there are no whales in the ocean.”  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Somewhat related in terms of exploration/discoveries, but I was watching an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson yesterday and a man asked him the question (paraphrasing) “If there is life on another planet in the universe and we’ve been looking, why haven’t we found any evidence?  You would think if there was we would have found some type of evidence by now.”  

His response was “That would be like taking a water glass to the beach, filling it up with ocean water, and then coming to the conclusion that there are no whales in the ocean.”  

That's a great analogy.  Our entire planet isn't even the smallest spec if the universe was laid out as a 2d painting 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don't think there are a lot of human minds that can genuinely comprehend the actual scope of the universe.

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

That's a great analogy.  Our entire planet isn't even the smallest spec if the universe was laid out as a 2d painting 

You can probably replace "planet" with "galaxy", considering our little Milky Way galaxy has hundreds of billions of stars and that there are likely a trillion or more other galaxies in the universe. 🤯

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I don't think there are a lot of human minds that can genuinely comprehend the actual scope of the universe.

You can probably replace "planet" with "galaxy", considering our little Milky Way galaxy has hundreds of billions of stars and that there are likely a trillion or more other galaxies in the universe. 🤯

You are correct.   There isn't a description to adequately describe how much is out there we just aren't aware of.  Then consider time.  Theres so much more that we don't know than what we know on so many levels

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

You are correct.   There isn't a description to adequately describe how much is out there we just aren't aware of.  Then consider time.  Theres so much more that we don't know than what we know on so many levels

It absolutely infuriates me that our tiny life spans deny us the opportunity to experience 99.999...999% of the universe in which we exist.

If the afterlife doesn't involve me having the freedom to fly around the universe, God is getting a swift kick in the jimmy......

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

It absolutely infuriates me that our tiny life spans deny us the opportunity to experience 99.999...999% of the universe in which we exist.

If the afterlife doesn't involve me having the freedom to fly around the universe, God is getting a swift kick in the jimmy......

That's what we have to hope for, otherwise we could get wrapped up in how futile and meaningless or little moment in time is

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

And yet, we have people right here among us who know pretty much everything!  It’s amazing how blessed we are!   

This universe is a big place. What we don’t know is……..pretty much everything. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

And yet, we have people right here among us who know pretty much everything!  It’s amazing how blessed we are!   

This universe is a big place. What we don’t know is……..pretty much everything. 

I know! 

I'm surprised our local know-it-all hasn't made an appearance yet.  He must be busy correcting someone else.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I know! 

I'm surprised our local know-it-all hasn't made an appearance yet.  He must be busy correcting someone else.

He’s home at his desk, doing the math and watching sitcoms, I guess.

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2