New Domed Stadium in Cleveland?

DeepPass

12 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

For context, both the Browns proposal and Bills new stadium had 50-50 financing with overruns borne by the team. The Bills financials for their open stadium were $1.7B total, with $850M coming from the public. $250M from Erie county and $600M from NYS. The Haslams want a $2.4B domed stadium with $1.2B coming from the public. So bigger numbers for the dome, but more utility for the building. Also some inflation in the numbers. Overruns borne by the team are smart public policy. 

24 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Super Bowls should be in nice weather cities imo. Sorry, but hanging out in a mall in Minneapolis dead of winter hardly seems like a fun time. 

Since revenue goes to hosting teams there needs to be sharing with teams which do not get opportunity to host Superbowl teams.

Especially since there is pressure from league on such teams to get new stadiums.

43 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Since revenue goes to hosting teams there needs to be sharing with teams which do not get opportunity to host Superbowl teams.

Especially since there is pressure from league on such teams to get new stadiums.

Great take! Totally agree 😊

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Some areas think big picture, others think small. You can guess which is which. 

Generally speaking, the bigger the area the bigger they can “think”.  Green Bay is not small minded by not building a domed stadium surrounded by all kinds of stuff, they are practical. Can Cleveland pull it off? I don’t know. It’s great if it works out. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Let’s hope that strip gets revitalized too. It’s a rough area. 

I'm sure they will.  The strip clubs have been there a long time though, we'll see their representatives on the local news when changed ordinances force them out.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

Generally speaking, the bigger the area the bigger they can “think”.  Green Bay is not small minded by not building a domed stadium surrounded by all kinds of stuff, they are practical. Can Cleveland pull it off? I don’t know. It’s great if it works out. 

Yeah, I hope they can but there will be a lot of noise from the airport as the large majority of traffic comes in/takes off Northeast direction of the main runways.  It's really fairly close to his property along with I-71 and I-480, both 6 lane highways.  Plus, the Brookpark area is lower middle class.  Haslem had also tried to work out a deal with Hopkins airport, probably a land swap so he could get closer to Berea (practice facilities) which is also nicer neighborhoods/area, less highway proximity for growing his village.  They turned him down though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/7/2024 at 1:45 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

To my knowledge no decision has been made yet. Local officials have been working with the Browns for a couple years now on a decision. The current stadium is garbage and needs millions in repairs. Its location is awful with no good parking options. 

One of the biggest issues with the proposed dome location is the proximity to the airport.

Buffalo's decision to not build a dome is one of the worst wastes of taxpayers money in municipal history.  

Try indoor soccer; thank God for Buffalo and Green Bay!

On 8/7/2024 at 12:20 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Gross.  Dome's are terrible.  

Football is an "outdoor sport," if they do it another sellout!

Edited by amprov56

21 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Yeah, I hope they can but there will be a lot of noise from the airport as the large majority of traffic comes in/takes off Northeast direction of the main runways.  It's really fairly close to his property along with I-71 and I-480, both 6 lane highways.  Plus, the Brookpark area is lower middle class.  Haslem had also tried to work out a deal with Hopkins airport, probably a land swap so he could get closer to Berea (practice facilities) which is also nicer neighborhoods/area, less highway proximity for growing his village.  They turned him down though.

Noise from an airport is fine, as long as they can only take off when the Browns are on defense.  :)

The Battery by the Braves stadium (sorry for mentioning it again) is perfectly situated at the intersection of I-75 and the Beltline around Atlanta. It lets a lot of people in and out easily. It’s a 3 mile trip for me, but people who live much farther out can get here easily. Unless the highway traffic comes to a halt, which has happened. 

Cleveland has long-term vision and wants to be big time.  Buffalo is fine for what we are but has never strived to be a big time sports destination like Indy, Detroit, and future Cleveland.  You obviously need a nice facility with the ability to be indoors.

59 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Cleveland has long-term vision and wants to be big time.  Buffalo is fine for what we are but has never strived to be a big time sports destination like Indy, Detroit, and future Cleveland.  You obviously need a nice facility with the ability to be indoors.

For Indy, if you mean big time sports destination for motorsports, then yes.

Sure, it has Pro FB and Pro BB teams, but their biggest attraction is motor racing. And that was established in 1911.

Call me doubtful the originators of the Indy 500 back in 1911 said to themselves "Just wait. A hundred years from now this will be big."

I don't know how slapping a dome on stadium is suddenly going to make some people go "WHOA, Cleveland has a dome. This changes everything."

Putting a hat on a pig is not going to turn it into Cinderella.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Cynical said:

For Indy, if you mean big time sports destination for motorsports, then yes.

Sure, it has Pro FB and Pro BB teams, but their biggest attraction is motor racing. And that was established in 1911.

Call me doubtful the originators of the Indy 500 back in 1911 said to themselves "Just wait. A hundred years from now this will be big."

I don't know how slapping a dome on stadium is suddenly going to make some people go "WHOA, Cleveland has a dome. This changes everything."

Putting a hat on a pig is not going to turn it into Cinderella.

Yo, what about the NCAA Men's Finals Fours, The Big10 Basketball tourney, Big10 Football Championship games, the yearly NFL Combine, Olympic Trials,  oh and the Super Bowl just to name a few.  I won't even get into all the concerts and huge conventions.

I mean yeah the Indy 500 is what that city is known for but gimme a break, that Dome brings in more big events in a year than Buffalo sees in 10 years.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Yo, what about the NCAA Men's Finals Fours, The Big10 Basketball tourney, Big10 Football Championship games, the yearly NFL Combine, Olympic Trials,  oh and the Super Bowl just to name a few.  I won't even get into all the concerts and huge conventions.

I mean yeah the Indy 500 is what that city is known for but gimme a break, that Dome brings in more big events in a year than Buffalo sees in 10 years.  

The Brickyard has a seating capacity of 257K. Lucas Oil has a seating capacity of 70k. It takes 4 events at the dome to match the attendance at 1 event at the racetrack.

And they hold multiple races at the racetrack through out the year.

People were attending the auto races, and spending money, long before the SB (just 1), the B10, et al started showing up.

Than means all the accommodations/attractions were already in place before everybody else started showing up.

Indy is also the home of numerous racing teams.

To put this back on topic, how does that compare to Cleveland.

Putting a dome on a stadium does not magically fix all the other limitations they have.

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Wait until this is reality and lets see who pays for this , I bet Haslam swindles ohio

He will provide all the contractors, and save time because they are already owned by the unions and scammers so there will be no new negotiations needed. I call it being practical.