New Domed Stadium in Cleveland?

DeepPass

Are their” innovative funding sources” just another way of saying “taxes”?  Tell people it’s based upon the economic impact, because you can argue that until the end of time. 

Regardless, the key seems to be getting the proper public/private investment. I know nothing about that area, but my experiences with that type of development is that it is a year round destination, IF you can surround the stadium with the right stuff in a location easy for people to get too. No way on Earth can I see OP worthy of that investment, but downtown would have been cool. Oh well. 

As always, I’m just glad the Bills remain in WNY, and look forward to seeing our new home. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/a-letter-to-cleveland-browns-fans-across-northeast-ohio-and-beyond

Article and 3 min video of proposed stadium and surrounding development. Article discusses financing. It’s freaking beautiful. I would note that the area is currently the rotting shells of auto plants. The impact of this on Cleveland would be tremendous. 

The proposed $1.2 billion+ private investment in the stadium is unprecedented and would be the largest private per capita stadium investment ever in this country. 

Is this supposed to be supporting effort?

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

It is really nice and as a Clevelander it would be a complex choice.  It'll be right next to the airport where all that glass will get regularly shook.  Wonder how the proposed rentals will sell?  I also shudder to think of the area traffic on gameday Sunday evenings between those two areas.  At least they'll redesign the airport entrance which is really crappy right now.

Hopefully it'll revitalize that grungy area.  Also on the good side, one or more strip clubs should be easy walking to the stadium, thereby redefining tailgating!

Let’s hope that strip gets revitalized too. It’s a rough area. 

1 hour ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

two things I gleaned from this article:

500 million revenue just from parking !?!?

and

alcohol is a sin?

Usually they refer those as vice taxes; sins such as Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride are not taxed or all of the money needed could be obtained from politicians. 

And NFL owners.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

So from what I read when they made the stadium back in the 90s it was a rushed job on the cheap because they needed it done in time for 1999 and in general they cut corners. As a result there are a lot of things now that are vastly more difficult and costly to upgrade because of this which make a new stadium a more realistic possibility over a renovation.

If true that would make me more pissed that they built a ***** stadium with my money now expect me to fork over more. 

On 8/6/2024 at 8:25 PM, DeepPass said:

Apparently the Cleveland Browns are building a new, domed stadium in the suburb of Brook Park near the airport!  It will have a translucent roof and the current cost is estimated at $3.6 B.  They'll be able to host a Super Bowl, major concerts and the NCAA basketball finals.  

This will balloon to $5.1 billion with taxpayers footing the difference.

I have no doubt Cleveland will get a Super Bowl out of this.  It's a fairly standard deal that if you build a new/dome, the NFL rewards your city with ONE super bowl just for building the place.  

A while back maybe 10 years ago?  There was a ballot initiative in Kansas City that had 2 questions....one was to fund renovations to arrowhead (and Kaufman, the baseball stadium) and the 2nd question was about paying to put a dome on Arrowhead.  The kicker was that the NFL publicy promised the city a superbowl if the dome was approved.  Kind of odd, the renovations passed but the extra question about the dome failed.  

It was the same in INDY...you build a new dome, we give you a Super Bowl.  Cleveland will get one if they build this thing.  

QUIT READING HERE IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT THE CLEVELAND STADIUM******

This also makes me really appreciate Arrowhead...that thing was build in 1972 and has completely and totally stood the test of time.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

If true that would make me more pissed that they built a ***** stadium with my money now expect me to fork over more. 

Well the issue was the NFL said you can have your team back but you need a stadium ready by opening day and that was like 3-4 years tops from what I read. Not saying I wouldn't be angered either, but I can kind of understand the rush job when you lost your team and can get it back. Also stadiums made in the 90s or updated missed a lot of the time on the future of NFL stadiums with suites, club areas, overall better fan experience things etc... The Falcons and Browns both got nice new stadiums in the 90s but had they been planned in say 98-2000 timeframe they probably are upgraded instead.

I read it as “New Doomed Stadium in Cleveland “

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I have no doubt Cleveland will get a Super Bowl out of this.  It's a fairly standard deal that if you build a new/dome, the NFL rewards your city with ONE super bowl just for building the place.  

A while back maybe 10 years ago?  There was a ballot initiative in Kansas City that had 2 questions....one was to fund renovations to arrowhead (and Kaufman, the baseball stadium) and the 2nd question was about paying to put a dome on Arrowhead.  The kicker was that the NFL publicy promised the city a superbowl if the dome was approved.  Kind of odd, the renovations passed but the extra question about the dome failed.  

It was the same in INDY...you build a new dome, we give you a Super Bowl.  Cleveland will get one if they build this thing.  

QUIT READING HERE IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT THE CLEVELAND STADIUM******

This also makes me really appreciate Arrowhead...that thing was build in 1972 and has completely and totally stood the test of time.

I guess, if you discount the $400 million renovation in 2010 and the fact that the team wants a new modern stadium. 

If they spend $3.6 billion, they will definitely be hosting a Super Bowl at some point. 

Detroit, Minneapolis, New Jersey, etc all hosted SBs, and we all know the NFL can sell out anywhere regardless of price or location.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 9:03 PM, JohnNord said:

So something like 3 cold weather cities over the past 20+ years?  

I never said it was impossible, but it’s a long shot.  If you look at the recent history of SB’s and the future locals there’s a clear trend of warmer weather cities 

Warm weather is a fad.  Cold and bleak will be back in style soon.

17 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

It is really nice and as a Clevelander it would be a complex choice.  It'll be right next to the airport where all that glass will get regularly shook.  Wonder how the proposed rentals will sell?  I also shudder to think of the area traffic on gameday Sunday evenings between those two areas.  At least they'll redesign the airport entrance which is really crappy right now.

Hopefully it'll revitalize that grungy area.  Also on the good side, one or more strip clubs should be easy walking to the stadium, thereby redefining tailgating!

I looked at the layout of Hopkins. They have 3 runways - a 10k ft, a 9k and a 6k. The 9 & 10 are perpendicular to where the stadium will be so no issues. The 6k is directly in line though. 

On 8/6/2024 at 9:07 PM, JohnNord said:

Just like Buffalo (had they built a dome), the chances of Cleveland hosting a Super Bowl is a long shot.  

The accommodations and infrastructure would be huge question marks.  Plus, no one wants to fly into Cleveland in February.  The league seems very set on have a desirable “Super Bowl experience.”   I know Detroit hosted one but that was 2 decades ago. 

Super Bowls should be in nice weather cities imo. Sorry, but hanging out in a mall in Minneapolis dead of winter hardly seems like a fun time.