New Domed Stadium in Cleveland?

DeepPass

12 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t think the odds are very high of the NFL doing another superbowl in a cold weather city. 

I went to the one in Minneapolis... holy crp that place gets cold. 

I'd be shocked if cleveland got a superbowl.

I do think an indoor stadium makes more sense in Cleveland than buffalo.  It's a bigger city and they should be able to pull more frequent marquee events (although the competition for those is pretty untenable at this point).  It is also a better and more centralized market for larger and more frequent ncaa events. 

As an aside, they didn't need a roof for Summerslam 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

They have… but it was 20 and 40 years ago.  I think the NFL wants bigger cities/warmer weather locations now

Well northern cities are getting warmer although heavy snowstorms are also possible.

Weather has been getting more and more messed up recently.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Jimmy Haslam wants a Jimmy World like Jerry Jones has his Jerry World. He’s putting a ridiculous amount of money up for it so it’s going to happen. It will also allow the Browns to expand their practice facilities, which they currently can’t because they are land locked. 

The Braves put their new stadium in a similar style of development called the Battery with hotels, theaters, restaurants and all kinds of commercial and retail space plus a couple thousand apartments. It’s fantastic.

Can Cleveland pull it off? It would be great if they can get it right, but it’s a mighty big gamble. I hope he does better than the D. Watson contract gamble, for the sake of Cleveland, not the Brown’s owner. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

So something like 3 cold weather cities over the past 20+ years?  

I never said it was impossible, but it’s a long shot.  If you look at the recent history of SB’s and the future locals there’s a clear trend of warmer weather cities 

It happens a couple times a decade. A big $4 bil facility in Ohio is probably gonna host a SB.

14 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Yes, rural New Jersey where there are no hotel rooms or entertainment... 🤔 :beer: 

They could still bill it as New Yawk

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

They should just rotate the Super Bowl between Florida, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, and California. 

Before Vegas got a team, I always thought don't do it in cities that have NFL teams...do it in Vegas and Orlando. One year its in the 'family friendly' place, the next in sin city.  Of course, with no NFL teams there, that kinda takes away having a great stadium there already.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Indianapolis, Minnesota, and New Jersey have all hosted in the last 25 years as well. So that is one cold weather site every six years or so which feels about right.

I highly doubt Buffalo with a dome would get a SuperBowl.  But Cleveland would have a shot. Hotel situation is fairly bleak downtown though. No idea how the hotels compare to Detroit, Indy, and Minnesota.

I would not hold my breath on Cleveland getting a SB even with a dome.

The NY/NJ, Detroit, and Minneapolis–St. Paul metro areas are bigger.

The hotel/infrastructure is already in place to handle a SB crowd.

Indy is closer to the size of Cleveland, but Indy hosts the Indy 500 every year. (attendance is in the hundred of thousands).

Again, the hotel/infrastructure was already in place for a SB crowd.

Cleveland has nothing in comparison.

Jacksonville, a much smaller city, used cruise liners as temporary hotels to handle the larger crowds.

That is not going to be option for Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cynical said:

Indy is closer to the size of Cleveland, but Indy hosts the Indy 500 every year. (attendance is in the hundred of thousands).

Jacksonville, a much smaller city, used cruise liners as temporary hotels to handle the larger crowds.

Agree with everything you said.

If Cleveland has a slim chance at best then Buffalo would have zero chance

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree with everything you said.

If Cleveland has a slim chance at best then Buffalo would have zero chance

Absolutely.

Anybody who thinks putting a dome on the Bills stadium would give Buffalo a chance at hosting a SB is living in a fantasy land.

• Agree 2

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/a-letter-to-cleveland-browns-fans-across-northeast-ohio-and-beyond

Article and 3 min video of proposed stadium and surrounding development. Article discusses financing. It’s freaking beautiful. I would note that the area is currently the rotting shells of auto plants. The impact of this on Cleveland would be tremendous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I'd be shocked if cleveland got a superbowl.

I do think an indoor stadium makes more sense in Cleveland than buffalo.  It's a bigger city and they should be able to pull more frequent marquee events (although the competition for those is pretty untenable at this point).  It is also a better and more centralized market for larger and more frequent ncaa events. 

As an aside, they didn't need a roof for Summerslam 

Cleveland metro area is twice the size of Buffalo. Makes sense that they would have more demand for indoor events that a dome could provide.

5 hours ago, Cynical said:

people think the new stadium alone guarantees a SB.  There’s many other factors that come into play that Cleveland (and Buffalo as well) doesn’t have going for it.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

people think the new stadium alone guarantees a SB.  There’s many other factors that come into play that Cleveland (and Buffalo as well) doesn’t have going for it.

The one thing the Bills new stadium will guarantee is the Sabres will be hosting another Winter Classic game. As for a SB not a chance for the obvious reasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The one they have now is like 24/25 years old. I’d be pretty mad if I had to fork over more money in taxes if I was a native 

So from what I read when they made the stadium back in the 90s it was a rushed job on the cheap because they needed it done in time for 1999 and in general they cut corners. As a result there are a lot of things now that are vastly more difficult and costly to upgrade because of this which make a new stadium a more realistic possibility over a renovation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/a-letter-to-cleveland-browns-fans-across-northeast-ohio-and-beyond

Article and 3 min video of proposed stadium and surrounding development. Article discusses financing. It’s freaking beautiful. I would note that the area is currently the rotting shells of auto plants. The impact of this on Cleveland would be tremendous. 

It is really nice and as a Clevelander it would be a complex choice.  It'll be right next to the airport where all that glass will get regularly shook.  Wonder how the proposed rentals will sell?  I also shudder to think of the area traffic on gameday Sunday evenings between those two areas.  At least they'll redesign the airport entrance which is really crappy right now.

Hopefully it'll revitalize that grungy area.  Also on the good side, one or more strip clubs should be easy walking to the stadium, thereby redefining tailgating!