New Domed Stadium in Cleveland?

DeepPass

53 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am sure people think that would be a good way to spend an increase in sales tax in the area.

People rarely want to but it keeps getting done.  Most of those in office agreeing to it usually are more wealthy after they leave office.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DeepPass said:

Apparently the Cleveland Browns are building a new, domed stadium in the suburb of Brook Park near the airport!  It will have a translucent roof and the current cost is estimated at $3.6 B.  They'll be able to host a Super Bowl, major concerts and the NCAA basketball finals.  

Much smarter investment. We will be at like $2B for an open air stadium. They will get much more use out of their stadium. 

For those that doubt they can host a Super Bowl, it’s no different than Detroit, Indy, or Minnesota.

Bills open-air stadium is such an absurdly dumb investment (not even counting the fact that the wind and snow conditions usually hurt our passing offense).  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Just like Buffalo (had they built a dome), the chances of Cleveland hosting a Super Bowl is a long shot.  

The accommodations and infrastructure would be huge question marks.  Plus, no one wants to fly into Cleveland in February.  The league seems very set on have a desirable “Super Bowl experience.”   I know Detroit hosted one but that was 2 decades ago. 

Detroit has hosted super bowls before.

5 hours ago, stevestojan said:

But I thought domes couldn’t handle the weight of tons of snow. 

Cleveland averages 63” of snow a year. Buffalo 66”. 

You heat the roof .  Syracuse can do it I'm sure the NFL can do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To my knowledge no decision has been made yet. Local officials have been working with the Browns for a couple years now on a decision. The current stadium is garbage and needs millions in repairs. Its location is awful with no good parking options. 

One of the biggest issues with the proposed dome location is the proximity to the airport.

Buffalo's decision to not build a dome is one of the worst wastes of taxpayers money in municipal history.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

They have… but it was 20 and 40 years ago.  I think the NFL wants bigger cities/warmer weather locations now

Indianapolis, Minnesota, and New Jersey have all hosted in the last 25 years as well. So that is one cold weather site every six years or so which feels about right.

I highly doubt Buffalo with a dome would get a SuperBowl.  But Cleveland would have a shot. Hotel situation is fairly bleak downtown though. No idea how the hotels compare to Detroit, Indy, and Minnesota.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

So something like 3 cold weather cities over the past 20+ years?  

I never said it was impossible, but it’s a long shot.  If you look at the recent history of SB’s and the future locals there’s a clear trend of warmer weather cities 

It's very few cold-weather cities that have domes.  In fact, everyone that has a dome has hosted a Super Bowl.  Only Phoenix and Tampa have had multiple super bowls in the past 20 years and that is 2 each.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Indianapolis, Minnesota, and New Jersey have all hosted in the last 25 years as well. So that is one cold weather site every six years or so which feels about right.

I highly doubt Buffalo with a dome would get a SuperBowl.  But Cleveland would have a shot. Hotel situation is fairly bleak downtown though. No idea how the hotels compare to Detroit, Indy, and Minnesota.

Don't forget Detroit hosted in 2006, so that's 4 in 18 years

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Just like Buffalo (had they built a dome), the chances of Cleveland hosting a Super Bowl is a long shot.  

The accommodations and infrastructure would be huge question marks.  Plus, no one wants to fly into Cleveland in February.  The league seems very set on have a desirable “Super Bowl experience.”   I know Detroit hosted one but that was 2 decades ago. 

The only issues for the Bills hosting a Super Bowl outside of not having a dome is the NFL wants golf tournaments in feb but they’ve done it in cold weather cities before. Buffalo has the courses to do it. They met pretty much every other requirement including hotel rooms. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, stevestojan said:

But I thought domes couldn’t handle the weight of tons of snow. 

Cleveland averages 63” of snow a year. Buffalo 66”. 

And the Vikings down sees over 50” per year.

Not to mention Syracuse.

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The accommodations in Jax is why they don't get SB either and they have nice weather. When Jax had the SB they had to bring in cruise ships to be floating hotels

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

They have… but it was 20 and 40 years ago.  I think the NFL wants bigger cities/warmer weather locations now

They should just rotate the Super Bowl between Florida, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, and California. 

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Unfortunately, they have offered it in trade for Brandon Aiyuk and updated Watson's contract to include all future Super Bowl and NCAA Finals Hosting. 

No one wants to fly to Cleveland in June, July, August or September either. 

when you live in a glass house, don't throw stones