New Domed Stadium in Cleveland?

DeepPass

Apparently the Cleveland Browns are building a new, domed stadium in the suburb of Brook Park near the airport!  It will have a translucent roof and the current cost is estimated at $3.6 B.  They'll be able to host a Super Bowl, major concerts and the NCAA basketball finals.  

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The one they have now is like 24/25 years old. I’d be pretty mad if I had to fork over more money in taxes if I was a native 

And then watch Haslam try to assemble his All-Epstein Team. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

Apparently the Cleveland Browns are building a new, domed stadium in the suburb of Brook Park near the airport!  It will have a translucent roof and the current cost is estimated at $3.6 B.  They'll be able to host a Super Bowl, major concerts and the NCAA basketball finals.  

Just like Buffalo (had they built a dome), the chances of Cleveland hosting a Super Bowl is a long shot.  

The accommodations and infrastructure would be huge question marks.  Plus, no one wants to fly into Cleveland in February.  The league seems very set on have a desirable “Super Bowl experience.”   I know Detroit hosted one but that was 2 decades ago. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unfortunately, they have offered it in trade for Brandon Aiyuk and updated Watson's contract to include all future Super Bowl and NCAA Finals Hosting. 

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Just like Buffalo (had they built a dome), the chances of Cleveland hosting a Super Bowl is a long shot.  

The accommodations and infrastructure would be huge question marks.  Plus, no one wants to fly into Cleveland in February.  The league seems very set on have a desirable “Super Bowl experience.”   I know Detroit hosted one but that was 2 decades ago. 

No one wants to fly to Cleveland in June, July, August or September either. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 6

43 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

Translucent roof.. better to see tornados coming as

Buffalo just witnessed. 

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

New Jersey in '14

Minnesota in '18

9 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

But I thought domes couldn’t handle the weight of tons of snow. 

Cleveland averages 63” of snow a year. Buffalo 66”. 

A true dome, probably not.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Minneapolis had one too, and it was as cold as you would expect, single digits. It really is a great city and we had a blast, but I’d rather be heading somewhere more desirable for my February vacation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Jimmy Haslam wants a Jimmy World like Jerry Jones has his Jerry World. He’s putting a ridiculous amount of money up for it so it’s going to happen. It will also allow the Browns to expand their practice facilities, which they currently can’t because they are land locked. 

If Haslem pays it great for him, as a taxpayer funded thing, no way it pays itself back for the roof.  Concerts don't generate that much revenue for the local enconomy....pretty sure most of it goes to the promoter/artist.   the SB in las Vegas generated 700Million in local revenues, one time....that would be less in a city like Cleveland.  In theory Buffalo has no chance of hosting a SB unless someone decided to build a bunch of hotels that would not be needed after.  I am sure people think that would be a good way to spend an increase in sales tax in the area.

37 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Biggest canard from the anti-roof / retractable side. You can engineer and computer-model anything these days. They could have melting systems and drainage in the metal framework. It’s just having the will to pay for it.

That a 24-year-old stadium is “deteriorating rapidly”, along with our own stadium’s 2013 concrete work and repairs that are cracked and falling apart do not bode well for the lifetime expectancy of the new Bills stadium. The elements of Buffalo wears stuff out FAST. The best way to protect most anything is to fully enclose / put a roof over it. The half-measure of putting a canopy over a percentage of seats is going to do f—-all about weather deterioration. Rain does not fall perpendicularly and snow will get everywhere. The acidity of rain in the former Rust Belt / northeast and maintenance chemicals eat concrete. The NFL season is going to expand by two weeks and last into mid-late-February. Climate change is pushing weather more and more to the extremes. We will come to rue choosing an open-air stadium for Buffalo.

Anyway.

With the Rock’N’Roll HOF right next to the stadium in Cleveland, I would hope the site could be used for some kind of music festival, such as having induction ceremonies IN Cleveland in spring / late summer / fall rather than wherever a band may be touring at a certain time. After a long time of the Grammys viewership dwindling, this year’s show was absolutely fire. So… it absolutely CAN be done. Cleveland has to accentuate and add to what they have.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

New Jersey in '14

Minnesota in '18

A true dome, probably not.

So something like 3 cold weather cities over the past 20+ years?  

I never said it was impossible, but it’s a long shot.  If you look at the recent history of SB’s and the future locals there’s a clear trend of warmer weather cities 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Biggest canard from the anti-roof / retractable side. You can engineer and computer-model anything these days. They could have melting systems and drainage in the metal framework. It’s just having the will to pay for it.

That a 24-year-old stadium is “deteriorating rapidly”, along with our own stadium’s 2013 concrete work and repairs that are cracked and falling apart do not bode well for the lifetime expectancy of the new Bills stadium. The elements of Buffalo wears stuff out FAST. The best way to protect most anything is to fully enclose / put a roof over it. The half-measure of putting a canopy over a percentage of seats is going to do f—-all about weather deterioration. Rain does not fall perpendicularly and snow will get everywhere. The acidity of rain in the former Rust Belt / northeast and maintenance chemicals eat concrete. The NFL season is going to expand by two weeks and last into mid-late-February. Climate change is pushing weather more and more to the extremes. We will come to rue choosing an open-air stadium for Buffalo.

Anyway.

With the Rock’N’Roll HOF right next to the stadium in Cleveland, I would hope the site could be used for some kind of music festival, such as having induction ceremonies IN Cleveland in spring / late summer / fall rather than wherever a band may be touring at a certain time. After a long time of the Grammys viewership dwindling, this year’s show was absolutely fire. So… it absolutely CAN be done. Cleveland has to accentuate and add to what they have.

It'll be interesting to see what the stadium looks like after the first blizzard. That's going to be a BIG DAY here on the board.

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

It wasn’t about the snow on the roof.  It was more about the overall cost of a roof.

It would be a difference of $1.4B for open air versus $2B for domed (at least).  Terry knew a heavy part of the cost was subsidized by state and local governments and the additional $600M was deemed too high.  

Of course, Terry could have offered to pay more but I remember reading Tim Graham’s coverage and he said it was determined that even with the roof, they’d likely never see the return on the investment.  

The lack of accommodations and infrastructure relative to the location of the new stadium would rule them out for major events like the Super Bowl.  It could have led to 1 or 2 more big concerts a year.  Maybe an NCAA Final Four or NFL Draft.  But the expense wouldn’t justify the return.  

Plus they claimed fans preferred open air 😂

30 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If Haslem pays it great for him, as a taxpayer funded thing, no way it pays itself back for the roof.  Concerts don't generate that much revenue for the local enconomy....pretty sure most of it goes to the promoter/artist.   the SB in las Vegas generated 700Million in local revenues, one time....that would be less in a city like Cleveland.  In theory Buffalo has no chance of hosting a SB unless someone decided to build a bunch of hotels that would not be needed after.  I am sure people think that would be a good way to spend an increase in sales tax in the area.

I just wrote the same thing.  Tim Graham’s work echoed the same sentiment about the lack of benefits to justify the cost of the roof 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Agree 1