Democrat Convention 2024 (Chicago)

Democrats, the Party of Freedom?   I'm Laughing Through My Tears

Rick Moran 

73f79377-1963-477b-9468-6553be457d26-105

"Freedom" has always been a loaded word in America. What do we mean by freedom? Obviously, there isn't one definition for freedom since freedom means different things to different people.

In some ways, freedom mirrors Justice Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity: "I know it when I see it." And looking at speaker after speaker at the Democratic Convention last night in Chicago, I couldn't help but be struck by some of these people's idea of what "freedom" means.

Vice presidential nominee Tim Walz mentioned the word "freedom" eight times in his acceptance speech. In fact, he said this election was all about "freedom." 

When Republicans use the word freedom, they mean that the government should be free to invade your doctor’s office. Corporations — free to pollute your air and water. And banks — free to take advantage of customers.

Oh, really? In the immortal words of "Independence Day's" Defense Secretary Albert Nimzicky, "That's not entirely accurate." 

There are thousands of individual regulations governing air and water quality in the United States. They are hardly "free" to pollute anything. Each of these regulations has the force of law. How many regulations do you think banks operate under? "Banks" and "corporations" are trigger words for Democrats and have been since the time of FDR. 

What's even scarier is that many adult Democrats actually believe that drivel. 

But when we Democrats talk about freedom, we mean the freedom to make a better life for yourself and the people that you love. Freedom to make your own health care decisions. And yeah, your kids’ freedom to go to school without worrying about being shot dead in the hall.

The reality of Democratic governance is far different. 

"In Minnesota, we respect our neighbors and the personal choices they make, even if we wouldn't make those same choices for ourselves," said Walz last night. "We've got a golden rule: Mind your own damn business."

That's a lie.

In fact, Democrats allow the government to make everything their business that they don't much agree with.

When the government makes it its business to shut down kids' lemonade stands or regulate garage sales, that's as intrusive as anything Democrats accuse Republicans of doing.

All elections are about "freedom" in some ways. Some definitions of freedom are more expansive than others. The Democrats' idea of "freedom" masks a cloying desire to control. It would be nice if someone at that convention said something about it. 

https://pjmedia.com/rick-moran/2024/08/22/democrats-the-party-of-freedom-im-laughing-through-my-tears-n4931877

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Starr-Bills said:

You’re a thoughtful person on this board. But ‘no accomplishments’. Srly?

I assume your trying to state that winning elections is an accomplishment, and I can see how you believe that without putting you down, but I don't find those that impressive. What accomplishments does she have as far as what good her policy has done? Our border is in shambles, the world has several hot wars where none existed, major cities have more crime than ever before, where is her accomplishments? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

i can cherry pick too.  But yes, the markets have moved towards trump on the assumption that the crazies who support JFK will now support drumf.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/6867/Which-party-will-win-the-2024-US-presidential-election

JFK has been dead since 19ought6and3, Fergs.  Illuminati got him.  

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Just another POS conservative commentator

https://www.yahoo.com/news/social-media-slams-ann-coulter-163048086.html

"No one will ever cry for Anne Coulter" 

I do agree that no one will cry for her, she says things for reactions that are better left unsaid. She is trying to get back in the spotlight and will do anything for it. I can't remember the last time I read one of her articles.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I assume your trying to state that winning elections is an accomplishment, and I can see how you believe that without putting you down, but I don't find those that impressive. What accomplishments does she have as far as what good her policy has done? Our border is in shambles, the world has several hot wars where none existed, major cities have more crime than ever before, where is her accomplishments? 

Well you also have to do the job once elected and there are 18 Billion reals she succeed as State AG for example.

42 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

That’s odd. I had been assured that 100,000 antifa devices had been tracked coming to Chicago…

These kids are too scared to call to make a dentist appointment, there was no way they were going to show up. Can't stand these useful idiots. 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

These kids are too scared to call to make a dentist appointment, there was no way they were going to show up. Can't stand these useful idiots. 

Is that why they got the dental bus right next to the abortion bus?  Just outside the dnc? 

1 hour ago, Starr-Bills said:

So California now has affordable homes? Or the poorest there are better off? Honestly you should have stuck to winning the races because to anyone who expectations of success this was a $18 billion failure