Democrat Convention 2024 (Chicago)

12 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That’s silly.  

Biden’s family is a mess, his daughter-in-law getting a pass on her misdeeds, his daughter reminisced about some of her odd memories with her dad from childhood, and it’s quite likely Hunter is guilty of much more than we’re hearing about.  It seems increasingly likely Biden used his office for financial gain, it is a  reasonable assumption that his brother could be targeted for misdeeds in the family business, and Biden is a shell of whatever man he was a decade or two ago.  He also left classified document strewn all over the place, which implies he’s a pretty sloppy guy Joe

All it would really take is a threat to his legacy and family.  He was rock solid he was running until suddenly, he wasn’t.  

joe biden GIF

• Like (+1) 2

Trump made a mistake by agreeing to a debate in July, before the convention…

Why help out the other Party with fixing their problems?

Had Trump declined, the Dems would have been screwed a lot more…

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

And that’s how Trump lost his chance and a second term.

Why would we want a President that’s prone to making such gigantic mistakes?

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Probably.

But that was his mistake. Lots of people thought the Dems were trotting out Joe for an early debate to see if he'd flame out in time for them to sub in a new candidate. Trump apparently didn't take that seriously.

Mr. Art of the Deal, it's all on you. It went about as well as his bluffs with Little Rocket Man.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

My understanding is that he wanted an earlier debate as a way to demonstrate that he was up to the task and boost his campaign. He utterly failed at that to an astounding level. The reaction from many on the left was that he needed to drop out. Polling showed he was unpopular and that Dem voters thought he was too old *before* the debate and the performance would only exacerbate that issue.

Many wanted him and the campaign to immediately kick into high gear and demonstrate that this was a one-off. Instead, he huddled with his advisors, barely making any appearances for a week. The polls began to worsen and more people began to speak out that he needed to drop out. Basically every report was that elected Dems were quietly saying he needed to go even when publicly supporting him.

But until he was sure he was dropping out, he had to act as if he was 100% staying in. Showing that he was wavering and then deciding to stay in would ensure his campaign's defeat. He was going to be all in until the moment he wasn't, without much time in a gray area in-between.  He's wanted the presidency his entire career and finally achieved it. I'm sure it took a lot to convince him that there was no path forward and he was hurting the party, but there was plenty of polling that demonstrated that.

It wasn't a coup. It wasn't Nancy Pelosi threatening the 25th amendment (which she has no ability to do anyway). It was just convincing an old stubborn man that it was time to go.

We had a nice moment earlier.  You were empathetic about my limitations as you viewed them.  I acknowledged your feelings and expressed appreciation that you cared enough to care enough.  Most importantly we agree that Biden was convinced to discontinue his run in spite of repeated declarations of his intentions before a debate was scheduled, in the run up to and after the debate.  His approach can best be described as “Anytime, Anywhere Pal!”. 

Now it seems you’re intent on reverse engineering what happened to fit the narrative of an heroic statesman facing a silent crisis of confidence walking away, and the courageous constituency who knew on some level that while he had lost a step, it was really his age that was of concern, not his penchant for using words that don’t exist and talking to dead associates that was a bigger issue than how many birthdays he has had. 

After consultations with doctors, staff, leadership, family (and a host of enablers on a massive scale), he decided to run.  When he struggled, he continued to run.  When he crashed like the Hindenburg in the Trump debate, he continued to run.  In the week or so after his epic implosion, he continued to declared he was THE man.  

We don’t know this because I say so, we know this from the words he used and thoughts shared by his advisory team. 

All the rest is drivel.  He was convinced to drop out, he dropped out and that’s about it.  As to why, speculation abounds. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

He was convinced to drop out, he dropped out and that’s about it.  As to why, speculation abounds. 

Correct.

And I really don't think there's serious room for speculation. All those congressional candidates talked to their own pollsters, etc., and were convinced that the House and Senate would flip if Biden remained the candidate. He saw the writing on the wall. Lose the election and watch the party go down in flames, or withdraw and give at least the congressional candidates a fighting chance.

What no one really anticipated is how quickly Kamala would be able to consolidate the base, and exactly how eager most Americans were for a candidate who is not an old fossil.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Hoax…The Democrats still judge people on the color of their skin like they always have…

They’ve just rebranded their white supremacy to be more palatable…You’re only privileged if you’re white? I’m sure the white supremacists would agree wholeheartedly…👍

Black people are too ignorant to know how to use the internet, or too dumb to know how to get an ID? The KKK is applauding as we speak…👍

Dems have always thought blacks were an inferior race that needed to be infantilized…That’s why they are treated like they are by your party…

Not really making your point starting with "Democrats" you know a generic overly broad simplification. 

So you can't register to vote without some kind of approved identification. NOW here is the part people who have't actually been part of an election understand so pay attention.

THE STATE KEEPS THE ROLLS OF REGISTERED VOTERS. they provide the polling place a list (and now on a fancy iPad) of who is approved to vote, who has an outstanding mail in ballot, who has an accepted mail in ballot. 

next a voter come in to vote, they identify themselves the poll worker checks with the list to see if they are eligible (are they at the right polling place, do they have an outstanding or received mail in ballot?) then they provide the voter with a ballot if eligible. or direct the voter to the correct voting location or if there is an outstanding mail ballot the voter can return it (and all the envelopes) and be given a ballot. or if they don't have it to Surender (or it's not complete) then they are alolwed to ask for a provisional ballot. 

at the end of the night the number of ballots provide to the polling place is cross checked with the number of cast and spoiled ballots.

once all the ballots are returned to the main voting center they are counted, and any provisional ballots are cross checked to see if there was a mail in or not etc.

how does the user providing ID to a one day poll worker add any security? this is a false canard to make people upset for no reason. Additionally it is a disingenuous/ignorant ignoring of the poll taxes, tests and other rules that were used to discriminate (or chill) people from voting.

I have run several elections in my community, the people working are all hard working honest public servants and you should try volunteering before denigrating them and the process.

now I have had white well "educated" voters come in screaming at me because they can vote and they threw away their mail in ballot because they didn't ask for it, forgetting they did. so they get o vote provisional and boom if they didn't already vote by mail their vote will be counted AFTER IT'S CHECKED AGAINTS THE ROLLS. See how that works. ID would not do anything other than put poll workers in a position of power that they don't need or warrant.

the rest of what you're talking about is insane. I have no idea what your point it. but boy are you worked up. 

I will suggest again to everyone on this board. Get involved, work an election, run for office. it will change your opinions, and it is a valuable service for your fellow citizens. 

20 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

And that’s how Trump lost his chance and a second term.

Why would we want a President that’s prone to making such gigantic mistakes?

I don’t know if he lost his chance, but the path certainly appears more difficult- which was expected…

Im just glad it wasn’t Michelle Obama, or the race would have been over imo…

Kamala being the candidate still give Trump a chance…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

We had a nice moment earlier.  You were empathetic about my limitations as you viewed them.  I acknowledged your feelings and expressed appreciation that you cared enough to care enough.  Most importantly we agree that Biden was convinced to discontinue his run in spite of repeated declarations of his intentions before a debate was scheduled, in the run up to and after the debate.  His approach can best be described as “Anytime, Anywhere Pal!”. 

Now it seems you’re intent on reverse engineering what happened to fit the narrative of an heroic statesman facing a silent crisis of confidence walking away, and the courageous constituency who knew on some level that while he had lost a step, it was really his age that was of concern, not his penchant for using words that don’t exist and talking to dead associates that was a bigger issue than how many birthdays he has had. 

After consultations with doctors, staff, leadership, family (and a host of enablers on a massive scale), he decided to run.  When he struggled, he continued to run.  When he crashed like the Hindenburg in the Trump debate, he continued to run.  In the week or so after his epic implosion, he continued to declared he was THE man.  

We don’t know this because I say so, we know this from the words he used and thoughts shared by his advisory team. 

All the rest is drivel.  He was convinced to drop out, he dropped out and that’s about it.  As to why, speculation abounds. 

You might want to examine who is rewriting the narrative. 

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

My understanding is that he wanted an earlier debate as a way to demonstrate that he was up to the task and boost his campaign. He utterly failed at that to an astounding level. The reaction from many on the left was that he needed to drop out. Polling showed he was unpopular and that Dem voters thought he was too old *before* the debate and the performance would only exacerbate that issue.

Many wanted him and the campaign to immediately kick into high gear and demonstrate that this was a one-off. Instead, he huddled with his advisors, barely making any appearances for a week. The polls began to worsen and more people began to speak out that he needed to drop out. Basically every report was that elected Dems were quietly saying he needed to go even when publicly supporting him.

But until he was sure he was dropping out, he had to act as if he was 100% staying in. Showing that he was wavering and then deciding to stay in would ensure his campaign's defeat. He was going to be all in until the moment he wasn't, without much time in a gray area in-between.  He's wanted the presidency his entire career and finally achieved it. I'm sure it took a lot to convince him that there was no path forward and he was hurting the party, but there was plenty of polling that demonstrated that.

It wasn't a coup. It wasn't Nancy Pelosi threatening the 25th amendment (which she has no ability to do anyway). It was just convincing an old stubborn man that it was time to go.

Why did the Dems say he needed to go?  Hurt the party?  How?  For what reason?  Strategically it makes a lot of sense for Obammy to 25th Demented Biden right now and show that Harris/Faltz can effectively be President and Vice President.  Is that on the horizon?  Time will tell.

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

Why did the Dems say he needed to go?  Hurt the party?  How?  For what reason?  Strategically it makes a lot of sense for Obammy to 25th Demented Biden right now and show that Harris/Faltz can effectively be President and Vice President.  Is that on the horizon?  Time will tell.

Are you ok?

8 minutes ago, Irv said:

you have to ask Pelosi and some of the super delegates like Hillary or Bill that. they will be the ones choosing, or already did.

The DNC is more focused on Trump than the real issues America cares about.

Mentions at night one of the DNC:

TRUMP: 147 times

ECONOMY: 27 times

BORDER: 8 times

CRIME: 6 times

PRICES: 5 times

INFLATION: 3 times

Priorities!

• Like (+1) 2