Democrat Convention 2024 (Chicago)

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think we know you're not comfortable answering the question posed. That's pretty common, actually.  ::sigh::

Yes, perhaps.  At the same time, it's not at all uncommon for we children of immigrants to be expected to follow the rule of law of our society.  We stand in line where necessary, we present our papers under certain situations, contribute to the tax base as directed, wait at border crossings in and border crossings out.  When traveling to foreign lands, we wait in the lines established by the hosts who welcome us, fill out forms as directed, empty our pockets, take off our shoes, and do the best we can to follow their customs. 

It's a complicated but relatively straightforward process, yet when that's discussed, we get sanctimonious lectures about being immigrants/children of immigrants as if that magically addresses the problem.  

So, you hate brown people?

25 minutes ago, B-Man said:

:lol:

Yep.  More importantly, why didn’t they share the stage with her?

"Obviously I'm not the target audience here, but when you have Barack Obama, the former Democratic President of the United States, sitting there and making his big speech and Kamala Harris is ninety miles away I think it suggests that their party is not especially unified.

"Of course we know that Barack Obama is one of the people who really forced Joe Biden out of the race to begin with, so I think the conflict is actually buried beneath the surface but is there for all to see.

"And I think, just for the American people, I mean you ask yourself what is the Democratic Party about in this country in 2024. It's clearly about their hatred of Donald Trump more than their love for America.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Are native Americans, true Americans?

First, our respective understandings of the term "native Americans" is going to be wildly different. I'm going to assume that your definition is related to the descendants of the stone age peoples that crossed the land bridge that purportedly existed between what we now call Russia and Alaska.

Some are, and some are not. Which sounds like a non-answer but is consistent with what I stated upthread. Careful reading should tell you that "America," as I speak of it, is not simply a land mass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Why do people think Michelle is going to run? She hates politics. There is no chance she’s ever going to run. She’ll give some speeches but that’s about it. 

And why do you think people liking Harris is “because the media told them to?” Dems have been telling pollsters for MONTHS that they didn’t want Biden. They’re mostly relieved that it’s someone who isn’t Biden. That, and the fact that Harris has had an excellent rollout, is what makes people excited for her. 

In order of questions: I thought Michelle was gonna be the figure head. She was gonna let Barack really be president, and if she was anointed this week then she would only have to deal with a campaign for a few months, which I thought she would do.

Kamala was polling at 1% in 2020 and mid 20s until the middle of the this year. She has no accomplishments to tout and is literally running on the idea of all the things she will fix as if she is not the incumbent. I figured more people would be pissed that the Dems simply threw out all of their votes in the primaries but I was clearly wrong. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, wnyguy said:

So, you hate brown people?

I like people as a general rule. I enjoy learning about different cultures, what it's like in these far off places, and the family structure and how it all works.  I'm also blessed in that my business finds me interacting with all sorts of people from all sorts of places.  Just off the top of my head...family/business connections include/included people from Guyana, Syria, Egypt, Palestine, South America, the Caribbean, Germany, Afghanistan, Puerto Rico, Poland, Africa, Italy, and a few more that escape me at the moment.  

In that regard, I'm a typical American living a melting pot life and interacting quite nicely with people.  One of my business friends told me he crossed illegally into the US as a young guy, he owns three restaurants and 6 or 7 apartment buildings.  He's a success story, a hard worked and I admire him.  

Still, when I cross the bridge to Canada, I wait in line.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I like people as a general rule. I enjoy learning about different cultures, what it's like in these far off places, and the family structure and how it all works.  I'm also blessed in that my business finds me interacting with all sorts of people from all sorts of places.  Just off the top of my head...family/business connections include/included people from Guyana, Syria, Egypt, Palestine, South America, the Caribbean, Germany, Afghanistan, Puerto Rico, Poland, Africa, Italy, and a few more that escape me at the moment.  

In that regard, I'm a typical American living a melting pot life and interacting quite nicely with people.  One of my business friends told me he crossed illegally into the US as a young guy, he owns three restaurants and 6 or 7 apartment buildings.  He's a success story, a hard worked and I admire him.  

Still, when I cross the bridge to Canada, I wait in line.  

You know I was just joking about hating brown people.

About your business friend who entered illegally and became a success, how did he handle his citizenship conundrum ?

Edited by wnyguy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

You know I was just joking about hating brown people.

About your business friend who entered illegally and became a success, how did he handle his citizenship conundrum ?

Yes, I knew. 🫡

On the citizenship issue, I do not recall how he worked it out besides working with an attorney and becoming a citizen.     

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LeviF said:

First, our respective understandings of the term "native Americans" is going to be wildly different. I'm going to assume that your definition is related to the descendants of the stone age peoples that crossed the land bridge that purportedly existed between what we now call Russia and Alaska.

Some are, and some are not. Which sounds like a non-answer but is consistent with what I stated upthread. Careful reading should tell you that "America," as I speak of it, is not simply a land mass.

Total bs. Fine thing that you are not nor never will be the arbiter of citizenship or nationality. Your philosophy reminds me of muggles vs pure bloods in Harry Potter. She was parodying people like you. Sad that you’re so insecure that you’re threatened by immigrants. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

The hoods are coming off. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

The hoods are coming off. 

The cliches are coming out.

:D

You can't just disagree with their history of lying and divisive policies.

It HAS to be racism.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Total bs. Fine thing that you are not nor never will be the arbiter of citizenship or nationality. Your philosophy reminds me of muggles vs pure bloods in Harry Potter. She was parodying people like you. Sad that you’re so insecure that you’re threatened by immigrants. 

Which part is BS? Many of the so-called "indigenous" peoples maintain their sovereignty from the United States all the while attempting to reap the benefits of American citizenship, for all that's worth. Why would these people be Americans by any reasonable definition? 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Which part is BS? Many of the so-called "indigenous" peoples maintain their sovereignty from the United States all the while attempting to reap the benefits of American citizenship, for all that's worth. Why would these people be Americans by any reasonable definition? 

We are all muggles. Have you done a genetic ancestry test. Are you “pure blood”?  If your ancestors came as early as you’re intimating and were  plantation owners, you may have some black blood. American Indians were here first. They were ruthlessly conquered. As far as I’m concerned they can choose to be American or not, just like I can.   There were Spanish settlers here as well. Same goes for them. Why preference given to English ancestory?

40 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The cliches are coming out.

:D

You can't just disagree with their history of lying and divisive policies.

It HAS to be racism.

So you didn’t find NC’s post racist?  Says a great deal about you

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever