Tornado hits downtown Buffalo

KingBoots8

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve said I’ll take Blizzards over tornadoes every time. This is the 2nd tornado to hit WNY in the last few weeks. 

What is going on?

Global warming?  Angry evil spirits?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m moving to Maine.

Believe it or not, there has been at least one tornado reported in every state.  Even Hawaii and Alaska.  Maine can get severe weather too.  But the odds of a destructive tornado in the Midwest or Midsouth are much higher than other places.

BTW, that's not a dust devil.  Dust devils are driven by surface heating, not convective storms.  I think calling it a baby tornado is the best description.  

10 hours ago, amprov56 said:

The area I live in, West Tennessee has experienced two major tornados - very destructive- in the last two years, each in February; in 1999 it destroyed our whole our downtown area completely, feel for your grandparents!

Where do you live, amprov56?  We're in Memphis.  

7 hours ago, MPL said:

you hit me with one more Guy Clark reference and you’re going to have no choice but to be my friend. 

I'm just happy that somebody gets it 🤙

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

If Helen Hunt wasn’t there in a white tank top? It didn’t happen 🤪

People forget the Seinfeld phone sex lady was in that film too! Went from just needing to sign some papers to start a new life with a husband to getting left for said white tank top Helen Hunt. Talk about a rough afternoon!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think the question was more about, did the civil defense sirens go off (we call them "tornado sirens" here in Missouri)? 
Were there emergency warning text messages sent out to subscribers? 
Is there a gov't emergency warning text message service and do people sign up for it?

As tornados go, it looks kinda mild, but I still wouldn't want to be standing on the sidewalk with the roof heading towards me.

I don't even think we have those here as far as I know. I've never heard them.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

See any tornadoes, like ever?

Once in a while we do - nothing like the southwest, but I did have to replace my roof this year due to severe storm damage, so there is that!

We have labatt blue light here though!

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

Believe it or not, there has been at least one tornado reported in every state.  Even Hawaii and Alaska.  Maine can get severe weather too.  But the odds of a destructive tornado in the Midwest or Midsouth are much higher than other places.

BTW, that's not a dust devil.  Dust devils are driven by surface heating, not convective storms.  I think calling it a baby tornado is the best description.  

Where do you live, amprov56?  We're in Memphis.  

Clarksville, about 4o miles Northwest of Nashville.

18 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Pretty sure it's a little thing called global warming. Hardly any snow in WNY anymore, but tornadoes on the rise.

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve had some intense snow storms the last couple years. But the winters have been milder.

Scientists have predicted that global warming would result in more extreme weather: stronger and larger hurricanes/typhoons, more intense winter storms, more atmospheric rivers, longer and deeper droughts, more severe weather outbreaks resulting in tornadoes, derechos, flash floods, etc.   They have also predicted that global warming is likely to change/disrupt ocean currents which would create major changes to local climates.   

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Scientists have predicted that global warming would result in more extreme weather: stronger and larger hurricanes/typhoons, more intense winter storms, more atmospheric rivers, longer and deeper droughts, more severe weather outbreaks resulting in tornadoes, derechos, flash floods, etc.   They have also predicted that global warming is likely to change/disrupt ocean currents which would create major changes to local climates.   

how much do we have to pay to fix all of this!?!?

19 hours ago, teef said:

we had multiple days in the 70s this february, and now tornadoes.  it's not just wny. some have hit down in the finger lakes, thousand islands and rome.  My car is still in the shop when we were pelted by gold ball size hail a couple of weeks ago.  all the car in my lot were beat up, and a few of the staff had to total their cars.  it's been so strange.

There’s waterspouts on Lake Erie all the time. They usually die out before making landfall. Theres been a few times there was something similar to this in the late 90s in Cheektowaga but wasn’t confirmed as a tornado. When I lived in the so tier northeast of Jamestown we would also get similar weather events a few times a year, they didn’t stay down long in the hills. Chestnut Ridge park got hit by one not long ago when I worked there. May not be as much as tornado alley but they’re more common than most people think. They dont get attention if they don’t cause damage. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

4 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

People forget the Seinfeld phone sex lady was in that film too! Went from just needing to sign some papers to start a new life with a husband to getting left for said white tank top Helen Hunt. Talk about a rough afternoon!

maxresdefault.jpg

Jamie Gertz! 

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think the question was more about, did the civil defense sirens go off (we call them "tornado sirens" here in Missouri)? 
Were there emergency warning text messages sent out to subscribers? 
Is there a gov't emergency warning text message service and do people sign up for it?

My grandparents house had one at the end of their driveway.  Forget trying to hear anything the first Wednesday of the month, from 7pm-7:05pm, when they did their testing.  

Don't need to sign up for it, it's already set on your cell phones.  

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov)

27 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

There’s waterspouts on Lake Erie all the time. They usually die out before making landfall. Theres been a few times there was something similar to this in the late 90s in Cheektowaga but wasn’t confirmed as a tornado. When I lived in the so tier northeast of Jamestown we would also get similar weather events a few times a year, they didn’t stay down long in the hills. Chestnut Ridge park got hit by one not long ago when I worked there. May not be as much as tornado alley but they’re more common than most people think. They dont get attention if they don’t cause damage. 

i'd say even once a year during the summer we hear the start of one in the darien center area, but that was typically the extent of it.