Tornado hits downtown Buffalo

KingBoots8

30 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Just had golf ball size hail and most of my neighborhood is getting roofs repair and will windshields replaced, oh ya we larger size hail year!

were you in the farmington/canandaigua pocket.  i know a number of people who had older roofs were are getting new ones through insurance.  at least there's that.  i just heard from my collision shop.  they've decided just to replace panels instead of trying to get the dents out.  this is going to take time.

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Let the Tornado excuses begin

" Sorry I am late for work boss, you won't believe what happened "

I tried to use that excuse, but I guess since I'm Texas and work remotely.. he didn't seem to be buying it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

All true but Storms form quickly and the path unpredictable, they can change direction on a dime and when it comes at 3 AM and you have a family ……

Not sure what this means, I'm just casually discussing the process of getting a warning out. It's something the NWS is responsible for, as far as I know.

2 hours ago, amprov56 said:

The area I live in, West Tennessee has experienced two major tornados - very destructive- in the last two years, each in February; in 1999 it destroyed our whole our downtown area completely, feel for your grandparents!

Thanks! I hear you for sure. Tennessee has had some bad ones in the past too. You definitely feel for the families involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Another reason not to have the stadium downtown 

Imagine if we put it downtown and the only damage was to rip the roof off the dome

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Man, I had one of the scariest nights of my life attending my graduation from Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS a few years ago...there was a massive statewide tornado outbreak...came in on the train earlier that morning into Dodge City, then went to Boot Hill and did a few things there and got my rental car and drove up to Hays about an hour and a half north...

Literally about 2 hours after I drove thru an area heading north, a town was decimated by a tornado that travelled right across the road I was driving on.  Then later that night there were like 20-30 tornadoes all around us and I was freaking the hell out...got back to my room from the bar/restaurant I was at and went to go to sleep...was awoken around midnight by what I could only describe as a jet engine sitting directly over my hotel room and it lasted like 30 seconds...I ran to the window thinking it was a tornado, but nope...just a loud, constant, rumbling noise...then it just stopped...

Went back to sleep, got to the graduation the next morning and I was talking to one of the other dudes in line and he grew up there and I asked him what the hell that jet engine sound was last night.  And he was like what are you talking about?  So I told him what happened and he laughed and was like "Yeah, that hasn't happened in a long time, but I've heard it a few times...it's when there is so much lightning going on that you just get constant, non-stop thunder for a long time..."

That was the last time I have been in Kansas and I ain't coming back anytime soon.

I remember that storm that you're talking about coming through. I actually also graduated from Fort Hays State University, but back in the early 2000's. One of the storms that destroyed my Grandparents' farm started down in Oklahoma....and came up through Kansas and totaled much of the small town of Greensburg, and kept on going including when it hit my Grandparents' farm, and still kept going across much of the state of Kansas before finally slowing down. Scary stuff for sure!

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Not sure what this means, I'm just casually discussing the process of getting a warning out. It's something the NWS is responsible for, as far as I know.

I know that and I took no offense, just bringing reality in. The NWS does a great job, I have a radio that v

blasts a warning that could wake up the dead, only so much it can do!

• Like (+1) 1

I was driving into downtown and saw what I figured was a water spout over by the lake as I got closer to the Skyway. It was pretty dark, the wind was whipping and the rain was coming down in buckets. 

That wasn't the most peculiar thing I saw today, tho. On my way back home I saw a pickup truck flipped over in a lot near the city mission. Didn't appear to be an accident or anything, just a truck on its face. Anyone else catch that? Wonder what happened. 

Edited by blacklabel

3 hours ago, Simon said:

you hit me with one more Guy Clark reference and you’re going to have no choice but to be my friend. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I was driving into downtown and saw what I figured was a water spout over by the lake as I got closer to the Skyway. It was pretty dark, the wind was whipping and the rain was coming down in buckets. 

That wasn't the most peculiar thing I saw today, tho. On my way back home I saw a pickup truck flipped over in a lot near the city mission. Didn't appear to be an accident or anything, just a truck on its face. Anyone else catch that? Wonder what happened. 

Apparently it came in off the Niagara River so it likely was a water spout that moved inland about 1.5 miles.

6 hours ago, teef said:

we had multiple days in the 70s this february, and now tornadoes.  it's not just wny. some have hit down in the finger lakes, thousand islands and rome.  My car is still in the shop when we were pelted by gold ball size hail a couple of weeks ago.  all the car in my lot were beat up, and a few of the staff had to total their cars.  it's been so strange.

@teef You had gold ball hail? Should have cashed in on the $#!+, bro 😂

Hope everyone is okay, we are having a tornado warning here in the Beaufort SC area, makes me nervous 😬 🍸🚬

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Let the Tornado excuses begin

" Sorry I am late for work boss, you won't believe what happened "

I can see your wallet coming back to you, courtesy of said tornado. 

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

most tornadoes are doppler indicated now by the signature "Hook Echo", although I am sure they have much better trained spotters in areas with frequent tornadic activity.

I think the question was more about, did the civil defense sirens go off (we call them "tornado sirens" here in Missouri)? 
Were there emergency warning text messages sent out to subscribers? 
Is there a gov't emergency warning text message service and do people sign up for it?

As tornados go, it looks kinda mild, but I still wouldn't want to be standing on the sidewalk with the roof heading towards me.