Tornado hits downtown Buffalo

KingBoots8

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve said I’ll take Blizzards over tornadoes every time. This is the 2nd tornado to hit WNY in the last few weeks. 

What is going on?

Climate change

Was it complacency on the weather service in an area that doesn't usually see tornadoes or is it that the warning system in Buffalo is basically non-existent?

Honest question.

Edited by LeGOATski
  • Eyeroll 5

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve had some intense snow storms the last couple years. But the winters have been milder.

I'm in the Northtowns and I used my snowblower twice last year. Both times it was just enough snow to justify taking it out of the garage.

we had multiple days in the 70s this february, and now tornadoes.  it's not just wny. some have hit down in the finger lakes, thousand islands and rome.  My car is still in the shop when we were pelted by gold ball size hail a couple of weeks ago.  all the car in my lot were beat up, and a few of the staff had to total their cars.  it's been so strange.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

we had multiple days in the 70s this february, and now tornadoes.  it's not just wny. some have hit down in the finger lakes, thousand islands and rome.  My car is still in the shop when we were pelted by gold ball size hail a couple of weeks ago.  all the car in my lot were beat up, and a few of the staff had to total their cars.  it's been so strange.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Let's Go Buffalo said:

Hope everyone's fine. I'm from Kansas, and we see too many tornadoes rip through our neck of the woods. My Grandparents' farm got totaled twice with two huge tornadoes less than ten years apart. 

Man, I had one of the scariest nights of my life attending my graduation from Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS a few years ago...there was a massive statewide tornado outbreak...came in on the train earlier that morning into Dodge City, then went to Boot Hill and did a few things there and got my rental car and drove up to Hays about an hour and a half north...

Literally about 2 hours after I drove thru an area heading north, a town was decimated by a tornado that travelled right across the road I was driving on.  Then later that night there were like 20-30 tornadoes all around us and I was freaking the hell out...got back to my room from the bar/restaurant I was at and went to go to sleep...was awoken around midnight by what I could only describe as a jet engine sitting directly over my hotel room and it lasted like 30 seconds...I ran to the window thinking it was a tornado, but nope...just a loud, constant, rumbling noise...then it just stopped...

Went back to sleep, got to the graduation the next morning and I was talking to one of the other dudes in line and he grew up there and I asked him what the hell that jet engine sound was last night.  And he was like what are you talking about?  So I told him what happened and he laughed and was like "Yeah, that hasn't happened in a long time, but I've heard it a few times...it's when there is so much lightning going on that you just get constant, non-stop thunder for a long time..."

That was the last time I have been in Kansas and I ain't coming back anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Climate change

Was it complacency on the weather service in an area that doesn't usually see tornadoes or is it that the warning system in Buffalo is basically non-existent?

Honest question.

most tornadoes are doppler indicated now by the signature "Hook Echo", although I am sure they have much better trained spotters in areas with frequent tornadic activity.

55 minutes ago, teef said:

"Gold Ball" size hail?  Or just thinking about how ya are going to screw the patients to pay for this

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

"Gold Ball" size hail?  Or just thinking about how ya are going to screw the patients to pay for this

Just had golf ball size hail and most of my neighborhood getting roof repair and windshields replaced, oh ya we larger size hail year!

Edited by amprov56

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I always laugh at people in Texas when they get some snow and shut down the state. They’re probably laughing at us with our baby tornado.

Definitely not laughing. I dodged a tornado last year in Houston, about six blocks away from my apt.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Clyde Smith said:

Definitely not laughing. I dodged a tornado last year in Houston, about six blocks away from my apt.

Anybody who thinks it’s a joke needs to drive by a field of debris filled with household items and children's toys or a downtown area leveled and people looking for potential survivors!

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

most tornadoes are doppler indicated now by the signature "Hook Echo", although I am sure they have much better trained spotters in areas with frequent tornadic activity.

They have plenty of indicators now. It's just a matter of paying attention to them. For the NWS basically, if there's potential, they normally put out a watch and then a warning later on when it becomes imminent. I have no idea what the more minute details of that process look like for the Buffalo area, but I'm sure there's multiple points in the process that could fail in getting the info down to locals in their homes and on the street.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

They have plenty of indicators now. It's just a matter of paying attention to them. For the NWS basically, if there's potential, they normally put out a watch and then a warning later on when it becomes imminent. I have no idea what the more minute details of that process look like for the Buffalo area, but I'm sure there's multiple points in the process that could fail in getting the info down to locals in their homes and on the street.

All true but Storms form quickly and the path unpredictable, they can change direction on a dime and when it comes at 3 AM and you have a family ……

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Coming from experience