Projecting the 53 man roster

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I’m a little surprised Clapp is listed ahead of SVP at center.  Not surprised Spector ahead of Jones at LB.

Actually only surprise for me there is Hollins over Coleman which is surely a rookie earn it thing.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually only surprise for me there is Hollins over Coleman which is surely a rookie earn it thing.

I’m sure you’re right but at some point McD is going to have to show some faith in guys he drafts just a few months earlier. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sure you’re right but at some point McD is going to have to show some faith in guys he drafts just a few months earlier. 

I don't see why. Regular season is now the preseason. If we don't make the playoffs things have gone very very wrong.

You can argue that the bye is worth fighting for, but with only one spot I'm not sure I buy it. Better to focus on figuring things out and focusing on accountability.

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

I don't see why. Regular season is now the preseason. If we don't make the playoffs things have gone very very wrong.

You can argue that the bye is worth fighting for, but with only one spot I'm not sure I buy it. Better to focus on figuring things out and focusing on accountability.

I know the Depth Chart is just a chart but for heaven’s sakes! They go into the draft desperately needing to replace they’re top two receivers and after spending they’re highest draft pick on one it’s beyond my comprehension why Coleman wouldn’t be the immediate starter, and be told to get himself ready from Day One! 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

First of all "he" doesn't draft them. Beane does. But they started White, Jones, Edmunds, Knox, Rousseau, Benford, Kincaid and Torrence week one out of the box and Allen, Oliver by week 2. That is without the likes of Milano, Johnson, Dawkins, Singletary, Brown and Cook were starters later in their rookie year. They start the guys when they are ready to play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I’m a little surprised Clapp is listed ahead of SVP at center.  Not surprised Spector ahead of Jones at LB.

Hamler as second team slot and starting KR/PR is interesting.  Mike Edwards listed as third team....one word, availability.  Coaches put these together partly to send messages, I would not get too wrapped up in analyzing ever gory detail.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

First of all "he" doesn't draft them. Beane does. But they started White, Jones, Edmunds, Knox, Rousseau, Benford, Kincaid and Torrence week one out of the box and Allen, Oliver by week 2. That is without the likes of Milano, Johnson, Dawkins, Singletary, Brown and Cook were starters later in their rookie year. They start the guys when they are ready to play.

We’ve all been over this more than once. If you think Beane is drafting guys without McDs approval we really need to talk. Second, it’s just a difference of leadership style. If it was me, I’d give my top draft pick the utmost confidence from Day One, especially this year where he was purposely drafted to be ‘the guy’ for a receiving group that just vacated the position. Will Coleman start from opening day? I personally believe he should. Should the position be his to lose? I personally it should be.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve all been over this more than once. If you think Beane is drafting guys without McDs approval we really need to talk. Second, it’s just a difference of leadership style. If it was me, I’d give my top draft pick the utmost confidence from Day One, especially this year where he was purposely drafted to be ‘the guy’ for a receiving group that just vacated the position. Will Coleman start from opening day? I personally believe he should. Should the position be his to lose? I personally it should be.

Beane drafts the players. That is a fact. Is McDermott involved in the process, yes. But the calls on personnel are taken by Brandon Beane.

As for "just throw them out there." I am generally in favour of playing guys early and exposing them to things. And so are the Bills. But there are circumstances where you have to say "hang on this guy isn't ready" and you can do damage either to them or to your team asking too much to soon. Elam is the classic example of that. 

On Keon, I think he will play a ton week 1. I am not going to get into does he start or not... Rex Ryan started Matt Cassel week 1. Who lines up where on the first offensive snap isn't that important. But I think he will be one of the three highest snap counts among receivers in week 1. If he isn't, however, I will trust that it is because he isn't ready to be. The only two times they have got that decision wrong were Josh (and he arguably wasn't really ready but was still way better than the alternatives) and Ed Oliver and they corrected both by week 2.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane drafts the players. That is a fact. Is McDermott involved in the process, yes. But the calls on personnel are taken by Brandon Beane.

As for "just throw them out there." I am generally in favour of playing guys early and exposing them to things. And so are the Bills. But there are circumstances where you have to say "hang on this guy isn't ready" and you can do damage either to them or to your team asking too much to soon. Elam is the classic example of that. 

On Keon, I think he will play a ton week 1. I am not going to get into does he start or not... Rex Ryan started Matt Cassel week 1. Who lines up where on the first offensive snap isn't that important. But I think he will be one of the three highest snap counts among receivers in week 1. If he isn't, however, I will trust that it is because he isn't ready to be. The only two times they have got that decision wrong were Josh (and he arguably wasn't really ready but was still way better than the alternatives) and Ed Oliver and they corrected both by week 2.

Again, it's just a difference of approach. WR is not like QB. This kid is essentially being asked to "go out to the green Chevy and turn around". I find it hard to believe that that should be a huge challenge for him....and if it is, then why was he selected as their Top Pick? It can be said that just as much damage can be done by NOT starting him. If Hollins does well (and as a fan I'd certainly hope that he does), then what does Coleman need to do to get on the field? Does he just sit their and sulk? It's a Catch 22.

Again, it's just a difference of approach. WR is not like QB. This kid is essentially being asked to "go out to the green Chevy and turn around". I find it hard to believe that that should be a huge challenge for him....and if it is, then why was he selected as their Top Pick? It can be said that just as much damage can be done by NOT starting him. If Hollins does well (and as a fan I'd certainly hope that he does), then what does Coleman need to do to get on the field? Does he just sit their and sulk? It's a Catch 22.

My point is their track record on getting those calls right has been pretty good. If Coleman doesn't ge a starter's share of the snaps straight away then I am sure he will be getting very clear direction from the staff as to why and what he needs to do differently in order that it changes. 

The player who most notably saw very little PT and when he did he looked HORRIBLE was Dorian Williams last year. Before him was Bernard the year prior, who also looked horrible in spot duty. Bernard clearly benefited imo from waiting his turn and getting his sea legs under him.

What player deserved more PT or to be more heralded during this regime?

If the Bills believe that 2024 is a lost cause for an SB, I'd want a rookie/young guy playing at every position. But they don't believe that. The guy who they think will perform the best will play, and they are usually correct.

I'm sure they've liked what they've seen in practice.  Now show them in a game.  Its the first depth chart so i don't really put much thought into it.  

Even if Hollins is slotted as starter to begin the year, I believe you are putting too much weight in what that means.

I have stated before that it seems to me the Bills will not be ranking the WRs (#1-#4) the way we are accustomed to.

That typically being how the targets rank.  I don't see that happening.

All 4 will be in the mix all the time.  We need to wait and see how that is going to work.

It's what they mean by "everybody eats".

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Even if Hollins is slotted as starter to begin the year, I believe you are putting too much weight in what that means.

I have stated before that it seems to me the Bills will not be ranking the WRs (#1-#4) the way we are accustomed to.

That typically being how the targets rank.  I don't see that happening.

All 4 will be in the mix all the time.  We need to wait and see how that is going to work.

It's what they mean by "everybody eats".

Actually I’m not putting much weight into it at all. On the contrary, I really hope it means next to nothing at all. I just want to see the high ‘priced’ rookie on the field. I believe his skillset will improve with real game time action. If he underperforms THEN put in Hollins or whoever. Just my thoughts. 

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Actually I’m not putting much weight into it at all. On the contrary, I really hope it means next to nothing at all. I just want to see the high ‘priced’ rookie on the field. I believe his skillset will improve with real game time action. If he underperforms THEN put in Hollins or whoever. Just my thoughts. 

I expect Coleman to end up with more targets than Hollins to end the season.

Also a good chance he will be a starter very soon.

It's the pre 1st preseason game depth chart.  The older vet is penciled in.

IMO.

• Like (+1) 1