Group 1

Gilliam

Morris 

Davidson

Group 2

Lewis 

Ingram

Hardy

i think they will cut Gilliam & Hardy. Both go to PS. Gotta find a punt returner. 

I think max two of those 6 is getting cut. Possibly one of the tight ends and Hardy only if he fails to win the return job. There is a route to all 6 making it IMO. 

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

If we're planning on being a heavier 12 personnel team, I'll be pretty frustrated if Davidson doesn't make it and then gets claimed on waivers. 

Take him over Morris and figure out Special Teams or keep 4 TE's. 

What happens if Kincaid or Knox get banged up for a few games?  We saw this happen last year.. we just stop running it, or run it with Morris, when we could keep developing Davidson and plug him in as, what seems to be, a legitimate weapon.

I wonder how NE handled the position during their years of 12-heavy personnel.  Maybe that’s the model. 

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I wonder how NE handled the position during their years of 12-heavy personnel.  Maybe that’s the model. 

They carried 4 a few times, definitely. They also had one year they just carried Gronk and Hernandez and ran the most 12 in the league (think it was the 2nd Superbowl loss to the Giants year from memory). So there is that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Whkfc said:

They no longer have to do that. Guys can go straight to ir

But then can the come back after 4 or is it 6 weeks.  Prior you could go right to IR, but if you're not first named to the 53, but say next wek put on IR, you're done for the year.

27 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But then can the come back after 4 or is it 6 weeks.  Prior you could go right to IR, but if you're not first named to the 53, but say next wek put on IR, you're done for the year.

Pretty sure they can come back. New rule this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If you have 53 man active and 2 on your IR you can activate how many do you have total to work with?  Technically you are right in that there is a 53 man roster but you can have more than that with guys on various lists that also count vs your cap.

IR is IR 53 man is 53 man. We all know about the IR rule.. if your going to name 55 at least name the 2 that you feel will be going on IR yes?  every name he mentioned is unlikely going on the IR as of now... so the list is invalid. Lets be real about it lol. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I'm surprised most that did an actual projection, don't have Toohill making the team.  I haven't heard much about him in camp but he seems to fit what McD likes and he was an early FA target.

The problem for Toohill is that Cline and Jonathan, who already have time in the system, are having good camps and Salomon is a draft pick. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The problem for Toohill is that Cline and Jonathan, who already have time in the system, are having good camps and Salomon is a draft pick. 

Yea it is a numbers game. Saturday will be instructive as to where the edge guys are in the competition based on who plays and in what rotation but from the reports I have seen of camp Toohill has struggled for time with the 1s.

Here's the new IR rule effective in 2024.  Teams can place 2 players on IR before final cutdowns to 53.  Players will miss 4 games.  Sorry for the cut and paste.  No link.

NFL makes significant change to injured reserve rule

This will have an impact on preseason roster cuts.

By Mookie Alexander@mookiealexander  Mar 27, 2024, 7:00am PDT  

Amid all of the hoopla surrounding the NFL banning the hip-drop tackle and drastically changing the kickoff rules, there’s a major rule change regarding injured reserve that will impact how preseason roster cuts are handled.

Previously, if a team placed players on injured reserve (IR) during preseason, it would automatically be season-ending. That is no longer the case thanks to this amendment at the annual league meeting in Orlando.

By Competition Committee; amends Article XVII, Section 17.16(C), to permit each club to place a maximum of two players who are placed on an applicable Reserve List on the business day of the final roster reduction to be designated for return. Such players will immediately count as two of the club’s total designations.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Here's the new IR rule effective in 2024.  Teams can place 2 players on IR before final cutdowns to 53.  Players will miss 4 games.  Sorry for the cut and paste.  No link.

NFL makes significant change to injured reserve rule

This will have an impact on preseason roster cuts.

By Mookie Alexander@mookiealexander  Mar 27, 2024, 7:00am PDT  

Amid all of the hoopla surrounding the NFL banning the hip-drop tackle and drastically changing the kickoff rules, there’s a major rule change regarding injured reserve that will impact how preseason roster cuts are handled.

Previously, if a team placed players on injured reserve (IR) during preseason, it would automatically be season-ending. That is no longer the case thanks to this amendment at the annual league meeting in Orlando.

By Competition Committee; amends Article XVII, Section 17.16(C), to permit each club to place a maximum of two players who are placed on an applicable Reserve List on the business day of the final roster reduction to be designated for return. Such players will immediately count as two of the club’s total designations.

Presumably it is a "minimum" of 4 games? 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

- His contract is nothing, 1 yr / $2,250,000

- 7 post season games with the chiefs, 15 rec for 250 yard (36yds/game) 🤷🏻‍♂️

- This can be done by Claypool or Hamler as stated before. 

- Not nothing, 2.2 thrown away is a player the Bills could bring in late season and they know it

- Now compare the postseason stats and clutch catches in the POs with the rest of our WRs

- Claypool who's on his last chances in the NFL and is hurt, and hamler who's spent his career on IR are in no way able to provide what MVS has, that's crazy imo

Edited by Slippery Rubber Mats

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

I'm surprised most that did an actual projection, don't have Toohill making the team.  I haven't heard much about him in camp but he seems to fit what McD likes and he was an early FA target.

I don't hear anything good about him and he is on a minimum deal with a $15k dead cap, I don't see a path for him without injuries.

2 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

- Not nothing, 2.2 thrown away is a player the Bills could bring in late season and they know it

- Now compare the postseason stats and clutch catches in the POs with the rest of our WRs

- Claypool who's on his last chances in the NFL and is hurt, and hamler who's spent his career on IR are in no way able to provide what MVS has, that's crazy imo

On the first point it isn't $2.2m that could be spent on another player late in the season. His contract is $2.25m fully guaranteed broken down into £1.35m cap hit this year and $900k dead money in void years. If he is on the roster this season he costs $1.35m on this year's cap and $900k on future cap. If he is not on the roster he counts $1.35m on this year's cap and $900k on next year's cap. They don't gain more money to spend on someone else by keeping MVS on the roster, except for the fact that if they cut him then they owe the salary of player who makes it instead of him and that money would come off their ability to make moves later in the year. The candidates for that are Claypool ($1.085m), KJ Hamler ($1.055m), Tyrell Shavers ($799k) and Zach Davidson ($799k). So those are the actual amounts that cutting MVS "costs" them. The money on MVS's contract is a sunk cost. They are on the hook for that whatever they do. Is $1m the difference between signing even a useful depth guy late in the year or not? Unlikely.  

Agree on Claypool and Hamler though. They have not shown anything to make me think they are preferable options and Claypool has been nicked up which hasn't helped his cause.  

Edited by GunnerBill

On 8/6/2024 at 5:13 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Gunner

The most interesting aspect of your projected roster is that this may be the first time in NFL history that a team won’t have a single Running Back. 😳

When Bill Walsh developed the West Coast offense, he partially replaced the running game with a high-percentage short passing game.  

Brady learned the West Coast offense from Sean Payton and is now evolving to its next logical phase: no running backs.  Heck, Josh is already the best runner on the team so why waste a roster spot - or a position in the backfield - on a running back.  Makes no sense.  

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

When Bill Walsh developed the West Coast offense, he partially replaced the running game with a high-percentage short passing game.  

Brady learned the West Coast offense from Sean Payton and is now evolving to its next logical phase: no running backs.  Heck, Josh is already the best runner on the team so why waste a roster spot - or a position in the backfield - on a running back.  Makes no sense.  

That settles it! Gunner is clearly playing 3D chess. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, White Linen said:

Smoot and Solomon were brought in after him and sound to be having more impactful training camps.  

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I’m a little surprised Clapp is listed ahead of SVP at center.  Not surprised Spector ahead of Jones at LB.

Why?  Clapp is having a good camp.  SVP hasn’t done squat.  Is he the only rookie not producing?

Clapp is a good backup center.  So is Alec Anderson.  Bills run deep at center now 

And if SVP can’t play guard- hes 4th on C depth chart

Every year, without fail, there’s a player that everyone says is this year’s sleeper to make the roster. They often stand out head and shoulders in preseason. They rarely, if ever, make the team. Just like Lucy pulling the football out from under Charlie Brown. Every year!