Projecting the 53 man roster

6 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

What has he done to make you or anyone else think he’s a lock? If it’s truly an open competition and he’s on the team because he can take the top off the defense, then we’re still in wait and see mode because so can Hamler and Claypool. As of right now he is far from a lock in my eyes. Samuel, Shakir and Coleman are the only locks at WR. But it sure does feel like Hollins is a locker room guy the coaching staff won’t let wall. If all that is true then preseason has a lot to say about the last 2 WR spots. I’m hoping Mr. Drop doesn’t take one of those spots but if he earns it so be it 

His Contract

His production in the playoffs

The proven ability to stretch the field

20 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

His Contract

His production in the playoffs

The proven ability to stretch the field 

- His contract is nothing, 1 yr / $2,250,000

- 7 post season games with the chiefs, 15 rec for 250 yard (36yds/game) 🤷🏻‍♂️

- This can be done by Claypool or Hamler as stated before. 

I don’t think a one trick pony is a lock and I hope the bills FO and coaching staff feels the same way especially when he drops so many wide open passes. At least when Gabe Davis did it he would give his all blocking the next play and I’m not a Davis fan in the slightest. We’ll wait and see though maybe I’m overhyping what I think Hamler is and what claypool can be 

On 8/5/2024 at 12:41 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So most years, there's always a vet player or two not subject to waivers that is cut with the intent to bring back and allow someone else to be moved to the recallable IR list.  With the team getting younger this year, how many of those guys to we have left that are eligible.  One name I can think of is Ferguson.

As has been pointed out prior, the Bills have always kept 5 LB's so can't see them going with 4 at that group.

They no longer have to do that. Guys can go straight to ir

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If that is true that is a very significant change. That you can IR before cuts and it doesn't mean they are done for the year. 

Its true

In plain words, the new rule allows teams the ability to place two players on injured reserve at the roster cutdown deadline to return during the season. That has not been the case in the past with the NFL; if a player went on injured reserve before the active 53-man roster is set, he was out for the season

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Its true

In plain words, the new rule allows teams the ability to place two players on injured reserve at the roster cutdown deadline to return during the season. That has not been the case in the past with the NFL; if a player went on injured reserve before the active 53-man roster is set, he was out for the season

I foresee Davidson developing a hang nail somewhere around August 27th

43 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Its true

Wow. Hadn't heard that. It is a big change. Hopefully ends the "hang about in the car park" cuts we used to get each year with a vet not subject to waivers.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:41 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So most years, there's always a vet player or two not subject to waivers that is cut with the intent to bring back and allow someone else to be moved to the recallable IR list.  With the team getting younger this year, how many of those guys to we have left that are eligible.  One name I can think of is Ferguson.

As has been pointed out prior, the Bills have always kept 5 LB's so can't see them going with 4 at that group.

They actually kept 6 last year

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:33 PM, buffblue said:

One of Salomon or Ulofoshio will make it due to draft status

One of them will make it because he is a compelling prospect and has shown a lot of promise at camp, and would likely be claimed.  One will not make it because he has yet to show much of anything, and is no threat to be picked up by another team.

They cut drafted guys every year.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem for Davidson is not the smooth and speedy stuff. It is the other stuff. When you are a third tight end having some ability to block and play special teams is pretty much a pre-requisite. His best chance to stick is as a 4th tight end IMO at the expense of a receiver and I think that IS very much in play. 

Punting is special teams, so we know he has experience ;)

3 hours ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Do people really think MVS isn’t making the team? 

I was surprised the team signed him, but the price was right and he does have good speed and height for going over the top.  But, oh, those drops!  Drops a lot of passes, more than Gabe, for real.

This team has smartly been moving away from average and below pass-catchers, toward guys with superior ball skills (Kincaid, Shakir, Coleman, Davis, Samuel, and even Claypool fit this profile). 

Now that they have a wealth of height and hands, only his speed is a needed asset.  Also, is he really that fast?

Plus there's the part that he has never had a great year, and only one season with numbers comparable to Gabe's (690yds, 6TD's) even though he only ever played with 2 of the best QB's of all time.

Still...he might just make the team, but my vote is no

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Well the "53 man roster" is a misnomer of sorts.  Literally every year the Bills and many teams cut to 53, put a guy on IR and sign a guy the next day back to the 53....the Bills cut their long snapper Reid Ferguson routinely with a wink/nod he will be back tomorrow.  Also this year I believe you can put two guys on IR before cuts and still cut to 53 man active roster so their is easily a path to 55-56 guys "making it".  And those two guys can come off IR later which is new.   The downside of this is all their salaries count towards the cap.

I d o not see this talked about anywhere.. either way... a 53 man roster is a 53 man roster lol

23 minutes ago, HiMark said:

One of them will make it because he is a compelling prospect and has shown a lot of promise at camp, and would likely be claimed.  One will not make it because he has yet to show much of anything, and is no threat to be picked up by another team.

They cut drafted guys every year.

I realize that. That's why I indicated one would be cut 🤦

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

I realize that. That's why I indicated one would be cut 🤦

Sorry, I see how that come across now.  I thought it was clear which players I was talking about.  Solomon is my prediction to make the team.  I just wasn't sure why you thought they would keep Olofushio(sp?) just bc he was drafted. 

14 minutes ago, HiMark said:

Sorry, I see how that come across now.  I thought it was clear which players I was talking about.  Solomon is my prediction to make the team.  I just wasn't sure why you thought they would keep Olofushio(sp?) just bc he was drafted. 

He played on an overhyped overrated Washington team that got their asses whupped by my Michigan Wolverines.  They could have played us on a neutral field 100 times.  And we would have beaten them at least 90 times.  That being said, I have no idea if this guy is a future NFL player or not.  I do like Dorian Williams' game, probably better then McDermott does.  And that needs to change for good old Sean. 

QB 2 Allen, Mitch

RB 4 Cook, Davis, Johnson, Gilliam

WR 5 Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, Mack, Shavers

TE 4 Kincaid, Knox, Morriss, Davidson-Who cares if we are heavy at TE? 6 players are inactive every week.

OT 4 Dion, Spencer, VDM, Grable-on merit, no less!

CG 5 Edwards, McG, cybo, SVPG, Anderson-versatile enough to be 5th OT

DT 5 Ed, DqJ, Austin, Carter, Williams

DE 5 Von, Groot, Epenesa, Smoot, Solomon

LB 6 Milano, Bernard, Dorian W, Morrow, Deion Jones, Spector-I think people are sleeping on the new KO rules, we will need lots of choices to find winning ST group

CB 5 Benford, Elam, Rasul-Dazzle, Taron, Hardy

S 4 Rapp, Damar, Cam Lewis, Terrell Burgess

ST 3 Bass, Miller, Reid (after getting cut so a player can go on IR)

IR 3 Claypool, Mike Edwards (not really a fan, is he any good?) Cole Bishop

Toughest cuts are Ingram, Kingsley and maybe Toohill.  DeShawn Williams can trade out for any of those, but I've called my shot

I think it comes down to the last two cuts. Pick two out of three in each group

Group 1

Gilliam

Morris 

Davidson

Group 2

Lewis 

Ingram

Hardy

i think they will cut Gilliam & Hardy. Both go to PS. Gotta find a punt returner. 

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I d o not see this talked about anywhere.. either way... a 53 man roster is a 53 man roster lol

If you have 53 man active and 2 on your IR you can activate how many do you have total to work with?  Technically you are right in that there is a 53 man roster but you can have more than that with guys on various lists that also count vs your cap.

Edited by Matt_In_NH