Should the starters play some vs the Bears

Gregg

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I don't think you can run scared of pre-season opponents. 

if you want to look at it that way- that’s your choice of perspective.  It’s not just that though-  If you think playing 2 quarters vs one opponent is better than playing 1 qtr vs two different opponents I can understand the rationale.  I’d rather him see two different defenses  

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Why? Do you believe that Josh doesn't need to sharpen his skills and the work on timing and communication with his center and receivers? 

Or, are you just concerned about risking injury? 

I think he does need some time but I'd rather give him one decent crack to get into rhythm. I am not sure 6 to 10 plays in week 1 of pre season and then 10 to 15 week 2 is the best method for ramping a guy like Josh up. I'd rather he play one full half, and preferrably after the rest of the offensive starters have had a run out week 1 to get themselves going a bit. 

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I hate that worry-wart mentality.
It’s like these over-protective parents we have now who are afraid to let their kids walk to the school bus stop or climb a tree. 
Josh might get hurt. Or…maybe he’ll be ready for the opener this time. It’s football, not duck duck goose. 

Preseason is more about player evaluation then tune up IMO.

I can understand considering Buffalos slow start in recent seasons why fans would want better preseason prep for the starters. I do believe however the Joe Brady O is a different beast that more embraces the mighty Buffalo. The Bills are going to run the football down our oppositions F ing throat from day one on.

I billieve...   

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I hate that worry-wart mentality.
It’s like these over-protective parents we have now who are afraid to let their kids walk to the school bus stop or climb a tree. 
Josh might get hurt. Or…maybe he’ll be ready for the opener this time. It’s football, not duck duck goose. 

Ancient thinking

Covid year proved you don't need preseason

Major college football plays with no preseason. Yes many of the games are against powder puffs but there will be many top 25 teams playing each other week 1.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:11 PM, HOUSE said:

Mitch Trubisky should play 4 quarters plus overtime 

Unless he stinks up the field, than yank him

I kinda like Mitch. I love him as a backup. I really don’t want him exposed to injury either. Give him a drive or 2 then get him out too. Let the other kid play almost all of the pre season 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I kinda like Mitch. I love him as a backup. I really don’t want him exposed to injury either. Give him a drive or 2 then get him out too. Let the other kid play almost all of the pre season 

As do I,

Steeler O was just not a good fit for Trubs,(or anyone for that matter)

but I like playing him so you can evaluate the rookies with an experienced pro QB.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

As I’ve said already, why not just have the league establish a compromise where the starters play the first quarter with limited full contact. The guys get much needed time against a foreign adversary and injuries are limited to the minimum possible. That’s what the Pro Bowl was for decades and there were very few injuries 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ancient thinking

Covid year proved you don't need preseason

Major college football plays with no preseason. Yes many of the games are against powder puffs but there will be many top 25 teams playing each other week 1.

Good point. My opinion was based primarily on Josh’s sub-par performance in last year’s opener. 

22 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Good point. My opinion was based primarily on Josh’s sub-par performance in last year’s opener. 

That's fair. I think the Jets are in his head. He played just as poorly against the Bronocs in the middle of the season. 

He's human just like they all are. We all know he goes sugar rush Josh at times. A few times a year it lasts all game. That said he walked off the field with the lead or tied in those games.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

if you want to look at it that way- that’s your choice of perspective.  It’s not just that though-  If you think playing 2 quarters vs one opponent is better than playing 1 qtr vs two different opponents I can understand the rationale.  I’d rather him see two different defenses  

I think it is better for Josh. I don't think he is great in bitty scenarios. He always seems better when he has his feel for the game. 

At some positions, I don't expect to see starters, offensive line for instance.  At other positions, particularly WR, there isn't really an established depth chart of any kind.  The Bills could hold Shakir out because he has some experience with the Bills, but who are the other starters they should protect.  Coleman, a second round rookie?  Samuel, a journeyman hoping to jump start his career?  Hollis, another journeyman signed in part because of his special teams prowess?  I can't come up with any WR they should hold out of the game.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, JP51 said:

Some should play a series or two that are new to their position... Like McGovern, Shakir, maybe Samuel... etc.. although I may keep guys like Rapp out of there 

Shakir?  Did they decide move him to boundary WR?

On 8/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Preseason has become totally meaningless. If the actual team isn’t going to play then why do they even have these games? 

Meaningless to alot of fans but not to those low draft picks or undrafted rookie free agents trying to make a name for themselves either here or on another teams practice squad. It's also a chance to knock the rust off for the starters and immediate backups even for a few series imo.

Yes, all the starters, offense and defense should see multiple snaps, the preseason / “ live scrimmages “ is where a coach can “to some degree” see what is working and what needs additional attention, before the actual games start. You don’t want to find out what needs work in the first quarter of the first regular season game. It’s what the preseason is for. 

Yes, all the starters, offense and defense should see multiple snaps, the preseason / “ live scrimmages “ is where a coach can “to some degree” see what is working and what needs additional attention, before the actual games start. You don’t want to find out what needs work in the first quarter of the first regular season game. It’s what the preseason is for, if used properly.