Should the starters play some vs the Bears

Gregg

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. But not Josh. I'd give the starters two series each with the exception of Josh and possibly Ed Oliver. 

With a lot of new faces in the WR group. I think Allen should play and get some playing time with this group. Just don't have Allen run and if anyone gets close to him then he has to throw it away. Getting reps in practice helps but it's not the same as playing in a game against another team. Remember how rusty Allen looked against the Jets last year. I don't want the same thing to happen against the Cardinals.

• Like (+1) 1

Is there any word on if the great and all powerful calib Williams will grace the nfl world with a drive or two in this game? It would be a great experience for our defensive guys to be able to tell their grandkids they were allowed to step foot on the same field as him

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

With a lot of new faces in the WR group. I think Allen should play and get some playing time with this group. Just don't have Allen run and if anyone gets close to him then he has to throw it away. Getting reps in practice helps but it's not the same as playing in a game against another team. Remember how rusty Allen looked against the Jets last year. I don't want the same thing to happen against the Cardinals.

I'd rather just play him into (and possibly the whole of) the second quarter next week. Personally I don't think Josh at the Jets last year was about rust so much as it was about Josh getting in Josh's head. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd rather just play him into (and possibly the whole of) the second quarter next week. Personally I don't think Josh at the Jets last year was about rust so much as it was about Josh getting in Josh's head. 

I hear what you’re saying, but I’m not sure I want Josh playing an entire half vs the Steelers physical brand of football.  I’d rather have 1qtr in each.  I doubt he plays this week but I hope he gets a series or 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear what you’re saying, but I’m not sure I want Josh playing an entire half vs the Steelers physical brand of football.  I’d rather have 1qtr in each.  I doubt he plays this week but I hope he gets a series or 2

Meh. I don't think you can run scared of pre-season opponents. 

I wouldn't mind. 

I know conventional wisdom is not to let them play except for a few series, but I'd really like to see them come out sharper in week 1 than the last few years. 

The win in LA a couple years ago was great, but it was still sloppy. Then you have the home upset loss to the Steelers & last year's embarrassing loss to the Rodgers-less Jets.

We can't come out looking like that again. 

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Would love to see an actual study of how "those" teams fare in first quarter of season (or even first two games) compared to teams who play their starters some/more. Seems like low-hanging fruit for some nerdsite to create compelling content during this most thirsty time.

Can't put certain projected starters out there without also putting their position group compadres out there if you want to truly assess things. If McGovern has to play, which I don't disagree with, then shouldn't Edwards and Torrence also be out there with him, simulating the IOL calls and adjustments and combos and whatnot? 

This is progress. This is the future.

Chris Brown: "Josh Allen takes the field, again. Here he is playing his 11th consecutive preseason quarter in his quest to catch a forward pass."

Steve Tasker or some other jabroni: "Some say it's reckless. Some say worse. But the Bills believe he needs to get in rhythm before they take the field in Week One."

I think you are right on this conceptually, in the end, coaches need to make that decision do they just need reps or are they looking to assess. If they felt that way I guess I am fine with that for sure. From my perspective at a minimum I would like to get McGovern out there with or without Josh to snap the ball and make line calls for a series or two... just to get him a couple reps in a new position...  (Yes maybe even Edwards and Torrence, I wasnt looking to do a "list" per se but they absolutely could be part of that. Dawkins... well...  take it or leave it.)  Definately want Bass out there with or without his eventual holder and snapper to get some reps in etc...  I totally worry about injuries in pre season and camp. Gotta strike a balance I think between preparation and protection.  And quite honestly its a tough call for the coaches to make I am sure... I like being on the 2nd guessing side of that particular decision LOL 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He also just... kinda sucks against the jets.  Has the most INTs against them, most sacks allowed, most fumbles, most fumbles lost.  In 11 games against them he has 11 ints and 7 fumbles - he has 12 TD passes and 6 TDs rushing.  

• Like (+1) 1

No, don't play the starters.

Vanilla schemes and inexperienced players trying to have an early impact to earn the start is a recipe for disaster in a meaningless game IMO. The Bills O Practices against a very good McD D. Same can be said about the Bills D vs O. More care is taken not to injure a fellow teammate.

Edited by Figster
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. But not Josh. I'd give the starters two series each with the exception of Josh and possibly Ed Oliver. 

Why? Do you believe that Josh doesn't need to sharpen his skills and the work on timing and communication with his center and receivers? 

Or, are you just concerned about risking injury? 

4 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Why? Do you believe that Josh doesn't need to sharpen his skills and the work on timing and communication with his center and receivers? 

I am

5 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Injury risk and there is no need to work at preseason speed and with preseason play calls. Zero upside and what happens if some guy rolls up on Allen's ankle even while just handing the ball off. 

Hell if I'm Allen I would refuse to play in the preseason. Why take the risk when he sees the dollars others QBs are getting and he is looking at a pay raise. 

If you can't beat the Cardinals at home even with no preseason action forcthexstarters the season is doomed anyways. They have the perfect first regular season game to work out any kinks with timing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Figster said:

I am

I hate that worry-wart mentality.
It’s like these over-protective parents we have now who are afraid to let their kids walk to the school bus stop or climb a tree. 
Josh might get hurt. Or…maybe he’ll be ready for the opener this time. It’s football, not duck duck goose. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:21 AM, Gregg said:

I know normally they wouldn't see any action especially in the first preseason game. But with so many new faces maybe getting a series or two wouldn't hurt. Getting reps in practice is great but there is no substitute for playing in a real game against another team.

There is actually no substitute for bringing your starters into the regular season unhurt. So, no.

• Like (+1) 1