Should the starters play some vs the Bears

Gregg

I know normally they wouldn't see any action especially in the first preseason game. But with so many new faces maybe getting a series or two wouldn't hurt. Getting reps in practice is great but there is no substitute for playing in a real game against another team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Gregg said:

I know normally they wouldn't see any action especially in the first preseason game. But with so many new faces maybe getting a series or two wouldn't hurt. Getting reps in practice is great but there is no substitute for playing in a real game against another team.

I like it simply so the linemen get a new team to hit, the WRs need reps, and even just scripting 10 or 15 plays gives you a chance to make sure things go well (cadences, motion rule changes, lining up correctly, etc).  

I never liked the "starters don't play preseason" teams, they always seem to come out flat in the first month.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I like it simply so the linemen get a new team to hit, the WRs need reps, and even just scripting 10 or 15 plays gives you a chance to make sure things go well (cadences, motion rule changes, lining up correctly, etc).  

I never liked the "starters don't play preseason" teams, they always seem to come out flat in the first month.  

Especially with Allen throwing to a lot of new WR's. I get it if people say they don't want the starters to play. Injuries suck especially to lose someone in a meaningless game. But I wouldn't mind them getting some reps in the game. Like you said they risk coming out flat at the start of the season.

13 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I feel like they should always play one series. Nothing else simulates actual game conditions like an actual game.

Get the team ready. McDermott will probably play it how he always plays it.

Some players will play more than others. Those that need time will get time. It’ll be interesting how they play Von in preseason. I believe he needs a lot of snaps this preseason. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Preseason has become totally meaningless. If the actual team isn’t going to play then why do they even have these games? 

$$$. You know how the NFL operates. Coaches also want to get a look at players who may be trying to win jobs. To see how they perform in game situations is important. Obviously, Allen doesn't have to play as we know he is the starter. But for players trying to make the team these games do matter.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

The offense should play about a quarter, IMO.   The defense.......just the secondary needs reps together.   They only have 3 preseason games now and there are two weeks between the 3rd game and the opener.   Live game reps would be nice to hopefully avoid a sloppy performance in the opener.   They are really going to have to execute much more efficiently on offense than they have in past seasons.   New offense, new WR corps, brutal schedule, 9 road games, competition in-division figures to be better.......they are going to need to be sharp.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes. Can’t be afraid of injuries.

Yes, you can.

Even in your post above when I got to the word "injuries" a little pee came out.

I turned a little red in the face as I was in a meeting and I was worried others knew.*

(* Yes, I read TSW threads in work meetings.)

• Haha (+1) 2