Training Camp 8/5

WR -

Samuel

Coleman

Shakir 

Hollins

locks.  I believe Shavers has 5th WR spot.

KJ, Shorter, Isabella, Claypool if we keep 6.  

TE

Dalton

Knox

Morris(core special teams player and Swiss Army knife).

Zach - 6’7 athletic mismatch that catches everything.

IMO Bills keep a total of 9-10 WR/TE

is KJ more valuable than Zach?  I don’t think so.

imo Bills keep 5 WR and 4 TE.  Two WR to practice squad 

Imagine a goal line package with Dalton, Coleman, Zach, and Knox.  Holy hell is that mismatches galore!

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

WR -

Samuel

Coleman

Shakir 

Hollins

TE

Dalton

Knox

Imagine a goal line package with Dalton, Coleman, Zach, and Knox.  Holy hell is that mismatches galore!

Interesting.  With the way Davidson is being touted at camp, if he can fill Q’s shoes on ST I think he gets the nod there.  Just don’t see them keeping 4 TE but perhaps with the new kickoff rules they will.  I guess that is one of the unknowns…whether the composition of ST changes…

1 hour ago, Pete said:

WR -

Samuel

Coleman

Shakir 

Hollins

TE

Dalton

Knox

damn you're totally giving up on mvs??

22 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Guy is just trying to make the team. Doesn’t sound like it was an illegal hit, just hard.

There's hard, and then there's "Guido Torpedo" hard.  There's no reason to deliver a rib-cracking hit to your own guys.  Take a bit off.

• Agree 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
22 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s been 2nd string ahead of Carter for most of camp from what I’ve seen and heard. 

How much have you seen?  Because I haven't heard much about DT rotations.

Functionally, it really doesn't matter if he's 2nd team or 3rd though.  It's a question of we'll likely only keep 4 DTs

We aren't likely to cut our 3rd round draft pick Carter (though if he totally isn't 'getting it' he might develop a lingering injury that forces him onto IR).  Oliver and DaQuan Jones are locks.  

I haven't heard a lot about Austin Johnson, but the Bills have a $4.7M dead cap hit if they cut him because they signed him with a $1.8M bonus vs Williams, who received a $15k signing bonus and is on a VSB contract.  So Johnson has to be considered ahead of Williams for that 4th slot.

Functionally, Williams is fighting to stay on the team, or at least be brought into training camp.  So yeah, he's trying to get noticed and make a name for himself, and sometimes that leads to trying too hard.

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I think MVS is a lock

Does Davidson play well/at all on special teams?

He was out with the ACL last season.  Josh commented about him being extra sweaty with the ST work he's doing so I guess he's trying.

10 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

What does Babich or Sal  mean in that last question?    I have no idea.

Why is there a laughing so hard I'm crying emoii at the end?   

Was what Babich said funny?  Why?

These are not rhetorical questions.

We've heard that Babich has "a lot of energy".  That typically translates to a guy who is very fiery and worked up and who might get a bit "extra" on the sideline to the detriment of calmly dialing up the next play.

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How much have you seen?  Because I haven't heard much about DT rotations.

Functionally, it really doesn't matter if he's 2nd team or 3rd though.  It's a question of we'll likely only keep 4 DTs

We aren't likely to cut our 3rd round draft pick Carter (though if he totally isn't 'getting it' he might develop a lingering injury that forces him onto IR).  Oliver and DaQuan Jones are locks.  

I haven't heard a lot about Austin Johnson, but the Bills have a $4.7M dead cap hit if they cut him because they signed him with a $1.8M bonus vs Williams, who received a $15k signing bonus and is on a VSB contract.  So Johnson has to be considered ahead of Williams for that 4th slot.

Functionally, Williams is fighting to stay on the team, or at least be brought into training camp.  So yeah, he's trying to get noticed and make a name for himself, and sometimes that leads to trying too hard.

He was out with the ACL last season.  Josh commented about him being extra sweaty with the ST work he's doing so I guess he's trying.

Not a lot- but the 2 things that I saw mentioned he has been the predominant 2nd team DT behind Ed and ahead of Carter.  Cant remember which podcasts I heard say it but I remember it being said twice because I’ve been a HUGE Carter supporter since pre draft and was hoping he’d come right in and be Ed’s backup and was disappointed when I heard Williams has been ahead of Carter all camp.  

that said- I still think it’ll be his job come regular season

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

We've heard that Babich has "a lot of energy".  That typically translates to a guy who is very fiery and worked up and who might get a bit "extra" on the sideline to the detriment of calmly dialing up the next play.

Uh, oh, it is literally the same exact thing we heard about Dorsey.  

This better not mean that Babich also may be an almost completely incompetent, repetitive, lazy, hapless, team killing coordinator himself!

If so, I will predict as I did with Dorsey at the start of last year--gone by Thanksgiving..

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Waldman is also perhaps the biggest advocate of the idea that most of you have pushed back so hard against...........that the quality of your top 2 receiving targets greatly dictates whether you have a chance of reaching a SB or not.

Kinda' hilarious that you are promoting his work. :lol:

I view Coleman's ceiling as higher(Davante Adams) than Waldman does but he also recognizes that this is a receiver who isn't likely to excel at getting separation and may need to be his team's 1st receiving option to excel because his windows may close too quickly to be a good option later.   And if he's a Mike Williams type........that might be selling Josh Allen short.   There is a large range of outcomes with Coleman and having seen it in person I don't see where practice has proven anything important yet.

You can't go a minute without misquoting someone, can you? Where does this compulsion come from? It's weird. You consistently misquote me. And anyone you disagree with. And now Waldman as well.

Where does Waldman say, and I quote you here, "that the quality of your top 2 receiving targets greatly dictates whether you have a chance of reaching a SB or not."

I'll wait for a link. 

What Waldman actually says is that receivers can be important, that they make a difference, that they help QBs. The usual stuff. The stuff that is correct.

He also says that a ton of other things are also important, also make a difference, also make a QB better and a team better.

Doubtless he'll also have said, in your mind somewhere, how the Bills have no chance this year because they lost Stef Diggs and don't have a great top two at this point. Must've already ruled out the Bills, since in your mind he said that. "That the quality of your top 2 receiving target greatly dictates whether you have a chance of reaching a SB or not," in your words.

Poor guy must have committed harakiri when the Chiefs won the Lombardi last year and their best two were Rice, a rookie #2 who managed 938 yards and ... well, who would you say was their 2nd best? Justin Watson with 460 yards? Skyy Moore with 244? Values-Scantling with 315?

Yeah, boy, those top two WRs, whoever you want to say is 2nd, sure did "greatly dictate" that SB win. Wish we had a top two who could combine for stats like that. 

Poor Waldman. Anyway, I'll wait for that quote and the link.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I view Coleman's ceiling as higher(Davante Adams) than Waldman does but he also recognizes that this is a receiver who isn't likely to excel at getting separation and may need to be his team's 1st receiving option to excel because his windows may close too quickly to be a good option later.   And if he's a Mike Williams type........that might be selling Josh Allen short.   There is a large range of outcomes with Coleman and having seen it in person I don't see where practice has proven anything important yet.

Oh, and another example of you mis-stating what Waldman says. And right in the same post.

Waldman:  "Because his breaks are sharp and flat, Coleman earns enough separation to develop into a high-volume intermediate target in the short and intermediate passing game if the quarterback is looking for him as the first option."

Badol:  "he also recognizes that this is a receiver who isn't likely to excel at getting separation and may need to be his team's 1st receiving option to excel because his windows may close too quickly to be a good option later."

Typical!! 

Waldman says something quite specific about how he might be able to develop into a high-volume intermediate target specifically in short and intermediate passes. And you twist that into "may need to be his team's 1st receiving option to excel," with no mention that he's talking not about his whole game but very specifically about 

You may be one of the world's poorest paraphrasers. 

Waldman says he "earns enough separation to develop into ..." and you change that to negative phrasing (Golly, what a surprise you'd do that!! Whoda thunk it?), into "isn't likely to excel at getting separation and may need ..." 

Neither of which did Waldman actually say.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Uh, oh, it is literally the same exact thing we heard about Dorsey.  

This better not mean that Babich also may be an almost completely incompetent, repetitive, lazy, hapless, team killing coordinator himself!

If so, I will predict as I did with Dorsey at the start of last year--gone by Thanksgiving..

Eh.  I don't think we heard the same thing about Dorsey - we did hear that he tended to get worked up on the sidelines and have the "holy spirit come out of him" (Mitch Morse description) and we all saw him smashing up the booth after the Dolphins Heat Stroke loss.

That's not the same thing as having a lot of energy, running from group to group teaching and coaching, and yes, getting worked up during practice

But there are other differences:

-As @Buffalo716 has pointed out, in 2018 when Dorsey as QB coach and Mike Shula as OC were fired after 5 years in Carolina, no one in the NFL wanted him.  Shula was hired by the Giants as OC and QB coach, and it's not uncommon that the new OC brings previous assistants with him.  Either Shula didn't want to bring Dorsey, or the Giants didn't want him

-The Bills did confirm him as OC pretty quickly after 2022 so he was under contract, but I don't remember him getting any nibbles as a potential HC in 2022 or as a potential OC in 2021 or earlier

In contrast, 41 year old  Bobby Babich had a lot of off-season interest and pretty clearly would have been s n a t c h ed  up as a DC elsewhere if the Bills didn't promote him.

I think those differences matter more than any similarities in fiery sideline demeanor

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2