Training Camp 8/4

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

Always was a tradition at the agency I used to work for to see or hear people trashing those that left by some. Most of just laughed at "the Tradition"

I'm trying to leave my current gig. I'm quite certain there will be a faction that completely trash me when I'm gone.  I can probably name each of them.  Some of it will be deserved, some of it will be their pent up frustration with my lack of tolerance for their incompetence.

49 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm trying to leave my current gig. I'm quite certain there will be a faction that completely trash me when I'm gone.  I can probably name each of them.  Some of it will be deserved, some of it will be their pent up frustration with my lack of tolerance for their incompetence.

Exactly, its pretty easy to guess who most of the people that will trash you, whats sad are the ones ya thought were good people

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Always was a tradition at the agency I used to work for to see or hear people trashing those that left by some. Most of just laughed at "the Tradition"

I’m sure that’s true everywhere, but Elam making plays every time he got into games maybe lends some credibility to the idea he was in the position coach’s doghouse, combined with Benford’s good play that made it an easy call to keep Elam on the bench.

I think it’s obvious they made the right call getting a new coach in there for Elam.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I think we might still see that the best 6 end up Anderson at C, McGuard, and Edwards as Bigger Lee Smith.

Edwards is going to ball out. It’s likely the biggest reason they moved McGovern to center. McGovern is going to be good at center as long as his snapping works.

10 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m sure that’s true everywhere, but Elam making plays every time he got into games maybe lends some credibility to the idea he was in the position coach’s doghouse, combined with Benford’s good play that made it an easy call to keep Elam on the bench.

I think it’s obvious they made the right call getting a new coach in there for Elam.

Only after Butler didn’t get the defensive coordinator gig. McD said he was torn between Butler and Babich (I’m sure Babich interviewing for multiple teams probably had some influence - he was wanted). All involved say that Butler left to pursue other opportunities. He would’ve been back with the Bills this year as the DB coach if his ego didn’t take a hit. 

Just now, Brand J said:

Only after Butler didn’t get the defensive coordinator gig. McD said he was torn between Butler and Babich (I’m sure Babich interviewing for multiple teams probably had some influence - he was wanted). All involved say that Butler left to pursue other opportunities. He would’ve been back with the Bills this year as the DB coach if his ego didn’t take a hit. 

I have no idea, and I don't really care. Either way, it appears fortuitous insofar as Elam's play is definitely pointing up, and that is a very good thing for the cb depth overall.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Brand J said:

McDermott isn’t publicly throwing anyone under the bus, you’re probably correct about Butler’s bruised ego, but I disagree about him having an opportunity to return as the DB coach. Elam was a 1st round pick and wasn’t getting onto the field and there’s no doubt Bean and McDermott wanted to turn every stone in an attempt to get a return on that hefty investment.

I’m sure management is very happy with their decision, sometimes personalities just don’t blend and this was probably the case with Elam and Butler.

• Simon unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is really interesting because he and McDermott are (or at least were) tight.

Butler, Bill O Brien, and McDermott all went to La Salle high school in Philly suburbs. 
Butler was DB coach and then promoted to DC when OBrien was at PSU. Butler was widely disliked by players as he wouldn’t take responsibility for any errors and laid all errors at the players feet. 
Good riddance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Butler, Bill O Brien, and McDermott all went to La Salle high school in Philly suburbs. 
Butler was DB coach and then promoted to DC when OBrien was at PSU. Butler was widely disliked by players as he wouldn’t take responsibility for any errors and laid all errors at the players feet. 
Good riddance. 

Yea I know all that. But McDermott and Butler were pretty tight. I know he put out some pretty bitter tweets after his departure so maybe that relationship has soured. But they have been VERY quick to mention that coaching change at every opportunity in a way that they haven't with other changes. For example on the Dline, while they have puffed up Marcus West they have always been very keen to be respectful of the job Eric Washington had done previously. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

McDermott isn’t publicly throwing anyone under the bus, you’re probably correct about Butler’s bruised ego, but I disagree about him having an opportunity to return as the DB coach. Elam was a 1st round pick and wasn’t getting onto the field and there’s no doubt Bean and McDermott wanted to turn every stone in an attempt to get a return on that hefty investment.

I’m sure management is very happy with their decision, sometimes personalities just don’t blend and this was probably the case with Elam and Butler.

So you think Butler would’ve been fired? Because that’s the only way he wouldn’t have returned since he still had a year left on his contract. Elam wasn’t the only player he coached in the secondary and the other DBs came out to say they loved “JB.” The split was said to be amicable, mostly due to Butler’s wishes. They weren’t going to fire a coach who was just in contention for DC. From The Athletic: 

Despite overseeing one of the best defensive backfields the past six years, managing his men through a slew of health calamities and adding the role of passing game coordinator, Butler felt maxed out with the Buffalo Bills and needed to go.

With a logjam of options on staff, after Leslie Frazier abruptly departed last winter, Bills head coach Sean McDermott three weeks ago finally named linebackers coach Bobby Babich the club’s next defensive coordinator.

“Bobby’s going to do a great job,” Butler said from his offseason home at the Jersey Shore. “It really just came down to us both feeling we were qualified to do the job. We both still are. The decision doesn’t change anything.

“But once that decision is made, it’s time for me to see if I can be a coordinator somewhere else. I’m at my best when I’m in charge. I ran the secondary for six years, but there’s a ceiling there.”

So Butler left. A year remaining on his contract. No job offers pending.

Butler’s exit was called a “mutual parting of the ways,” a euphemism often used by companies instead of “it would be too embarrassing if we explained what truly happened.” McDermott’s staff has lost several assistants over the years, some for promotions but others willing to leave for lateral roles. Within the past year, Frazier and Butler abandoned their posts with nowhere to go.

Yet there is no scandal, Butler asserted. He said this divorce was legitimately amicable.

“People are probably wondering why a guy who’s had so much production and so many great things to say about the organization is leaving,” Butler said. “There doesn’t have to be a crazy story behind it. I just want to run a defense in the NFL or college football. I want that opportunity, and I don’t want to wait.”

“There’s a vision I have; there’s a vision they have,” Butler said. “When it doesn’t necessarily match, sometimes it’s best for both parties to see what else is out there. They’re giving me that permission, and I give them permission to hire somebody to replace me.”

Edited by Brand J
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Brand J said:

So you think Butler would’ve been fired? Because that’s the only way he wouldn’t have returned since he still had a year left on his contract. Elam wasn’t the only player he coached in the secondary and the other DBs came out to say they loved “JB.” The split was said to be amicable, mostly due to Butler’s wishes. They weren’t going to fire a coach who was just in contention for DC. From The Athletic: 

Yes.. he wasn’t coming back, the same way it was an “amicable split” as Leslie Frazier was shown the door.

I think it’s pretty obvious listening to McDermott’s presser today that the change in coaching for Elam has been the factor that they’d hoped it would be.

Edited just now by julian

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Some still insist it’s a moon, don’t they?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

Yes.. he wasn’t coming back, the same way it was an “amicable split” as Leslie Frazier was shown the door.

I think it’s pretty obvious listening to McDermott’s presser today that the change in coaching for Elam has been the factor that they’d hoped it would be.

Edited just now by julian

Leslie wasn't shown the door. He decided to step away. I know for a fact that is true. I don't know what happened with Butler. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Leslie wasn't shown the door. He decided to step away. I know for a fact that is true. I don't know what happened with Butler. 

Great you know somebody who knows somebody, regardless it seems pretty clear from McDermott’s comments today they believe coaching and an environment conducive with instilling confidence has made a difference with Elam.

that’s pretty damning evidence that the previous position coach wasn’t doing a good enough job creating that environment, at least where Elam is concerned.

• Agree 1