Looking for a certain Bills hat- need help!

NewEra

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

😢 Yeah- I have a little thinning spot in the back up top.  Worked outside in Vegas for 20 years 12 hours a day-  needed a hat or I’d suffer.  

I take my game day uniform seriously 😎 

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would.

😢 Yeah- I have a little thinning spot in the back up top.  Worked outside in Vegas for 20 years 12 hours a day-  needed a hat or I’d suffer.  

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would.  Sorry, can't help for that hat.

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna under there when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would.  Sorry, can't help for that hat.

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna under there when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would.  Sorry, can't help for that hat.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BLeonard said:

OK, the bad news is, I dunno where this particular hat can be found.  It looks like it's an off brand hat (meaning not a New Era, Zephyr, or other major brand) so it may be tough to track down.

Where I may be of some help is, in my experience (I worked in a hat store for some time, learning the ins and outs on how hats are produced, etc) many hats are going to ship as a flat brim, especially fitted hats.  I hate the flat look, too, so I used what was called a "perfect curve" to bend the bill into the curve that I wanted.  Looked sorta like this:  A.thumb.jpg.d32fa682811a41af53020b341286ea2d.jpg

If the bill of the hat is cardboard, it worked REALLY well.  I'd get the bill wet, set it in the perfect curve overnight and the cardboard would essentially reform into the shape.  Some bills are plastic and they'll work too, you just may need to put it in the curve again every so often.

So, if you can find the size you're looking for, I wouldn't worry about the bill, as you should be able to fix that on your own with a device similar to the one I posted above.  Of course, using your hands to bend it works, too, just be careful with a cardboard bill, as if you crease it, it could be tough to fix.

Super helpful post but as you know many/most of the straight billed caps are “structured” with the two front panels really high and stiff.

Curving the bill is only part of the problem.

1 hour ago, gregmo said:

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would.

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would.  Sorry, can't help for that hat.

I shave my head because there's nothing worth keeping.  It seems to have fallen out since 1998.  Don't wear hats anymore because it's a sauna under there when I do.  If I worked outside, I likely would. Sorry, can't help for that hat.

Got it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Super helpful post but as you know many/most of the straight billed caps are “structured” with the two front panels really high and stiff.

Got it!

Mmhmmmm

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

I had one of those in 1996.  Was called “The perfect curve”-  but that was before the 59/50’s.

you sure this rounds the 59/50 brims into the shape of a normal brim?  From my experience, the 59/50 brims are a different shape and there’s no way to make it the same.  But if you say it will, I’ll get one for sure.  

I mean, I can't guarantee that it's gonna look the way you want it, but keep in mind, the hat you posted is not an actual 59/50.  It may LOOK like a 59/50, but if it's made from different materials than a 59/50, it's gonna act differently.

We had a whole "process" for fitting our New Era hats.  You didn't mention an issue with the peak/crown, so I didn't elaborate, but here's what we did to get them to fit right and look good (at least in our opinion).

1:  Take the plastic out of the inner part of the sweat band

2:  Wet the hat completely - Didn't need to drench it but get a decent amount of water on it

3:  Put the wet hat on the head and use your thumb and index finger just in front of the ears to pull the sides of the hat down - This would help round out the peak

4:  Use your hands to further massage the hat around your head, work the folds out (from when on the shelf)

5:  Put the bill in a perfect curve (your choice how much of a curve you wanted and hang from a push pin on the wall (bill facing down) usually overnight

It's important to note that the 59/50 hats were wool at that time and at least for us and our tastes, this worked really well. I did this on at least 200 hats and was always happy with the end result.  Now, the 59/50s are made primarily of polyester, so I don't know how the different material would react.

But again, keep in mind that the hat you showed was NOT a 59/50.  I didn't see anything mentioned about the materials of the hat, other than it's a flexfit, which 59/50s also are not.  If the crown of the hat is wool and the bill is cardboard, then I don't see why the process I used wouldn't give similar results.  But, if they are polyester and plastic, it may not react the same.

This is one reason I hate buying hats online - Companies use different materials and sizing charts and I'm VERY picky when it comes to how may hats fit, so an 1/8 of an inch off can be make or break for me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Got it!

I don't disagree, but he didn't say anything about having an issue with the crown.  Some people like that look, so since he didn't say it was an issue for him, I didn't elaborate.

I hate the "high hat" look on myself personally, so I posted what my process for breaking a hat in was when I was I bought and dealt with a lot of 59/50s.  A lot will still depend on personal preference and materials used to make the hat, though.

On 8/3/2024 at 10:42 PM, NewEra said:

Been looking for this hat for awhile- can’t find it with a normal brim, only the big wide looking super straight brim.  Anyone know a site that has obscure hats or can track this one down?  Any help would be appreciative.  Pretty sure we haven’t won a super yet because I haven’t been able to get one.  Help me get it and we’ll get our Lombardi! 😉 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134685612702?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2bJcxkA_Q8O&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

throw "buffalo bills wutang hat" into etsy. almost guaranteed thats where something like that came from. worst case youll see some cool shirts

and merch

funny side note, i thought oh i always thought new era was an older guy, then remembered wutang gear is practically old guy attire now LOL were gunna be a fun generation to watch age.  grandkids with pics sittin on gramps knee and an Ol Dirty Bastard tee on hahahaha

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

throw "buffalo bills wutang hat" into etsy. almost guaranteed thats where something like that came from. worst case youll see some cool shirts

and merch

funny side note, i thought oh i always thought new era was an older guy, then remembered wutang gear is practically old guy attire now LOL were gunna be a fun generation to watch age.  grandkids with pics sittin on gramps knee and an Ol Dirty Bastard tee on hahahaha

Thanks-  yeah I’ve been checking Etsy for a couple years now.   I said f it and bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on the hat @Processlinked.  If the brim is too big and goofy looking i’ll continue to keep my eye out for one with a better brim.  

Side note-  I was thinking about that the other day-  I turn 50 in a few weeks- yet I don’t feel much different than I did 20 years ago.  The 90’s hip hop generation is hitting that age.  The first old heads wearing 90’s hip hop apparel.  Am I too old to rock Wu Tang hats and shirts?  Hell no.  One thing I’ll never be is afraid of is being me.  I listen to music while watching the game at the bar (or in the stadium)-  85% of that music is from the 90’s- 10% is from the 70’s and 80’s and 5% from 2000+.  

• Thank you (+1) 1