Tyreek Hill gets contract restructured - $90 million next 3 seasons

15 hours ago, JP51 said:

This doesnt hurt them much now, but certainly locks up cap space in the future... I want it to bode badly for them, but I am sure there is some creative cap stuff they will work out. I think the big piece here is how long is TH going to be elite this year, maybe next....Hill is a major threat, but he really hasnt been a difference maker in winning games against us. Now they are totally committed to him for 3 years (at ultimately 34 by the end of the deal) and it will cost them at the end in some way. 

In the end I think its the Tua thing that will make or break them... Team wise and Cap wise... If Tua progresses a step or two past where he is, (maybe two) they have a shot in the next few years (although they lost alot on D and have had massive injuries) If he stays the same or gets figured out or injured I am not sure the Hill contract or retention of services means alot one way or the other... they arent contenders and would end up having massive money committed to QB and need to look for another or accept the limitations of what Tua is... I think the Browns are finding themselves in that situation... (no tears there)... 

Can't imagine Hill remaining happy on the Dolphins roster for another 3 seasons, until he's 34. Just isn't in his nature to remain loyal or even motivated in the same place for as long as that would entail. But for their cap to be SO locked up in Hill, Waddle, and Tua (when does it really kick in? next season?) by 2025, like 40% of their cap by 2026 innit? That's crazy. That's built like a structure designed NOT to last. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Can't imagine Hill remaining happy on the Dolphins roster for another 3 seasons, until he's 34. Just isn't in his nature to remain loyal or even motivated in the same place for as long as that would entail. But for their cap to be SO locked up in Hill, Waddle, and Tua (when does it really kick in? next season?) by 2025, like 40% of their cap by 2026 innit? That's crazy. That's built like a structure designed NOT to last. 

Honestly, happy or not, I cannot imagine this structure of contracts will stand in 2027, I think they are gonna have to pivot hard at some point. Either they win it all and have to pivot, or Tua isnt all that and they have to figure how to get out of it. Different I think from the Bills, in that we already know JA is the guy and have done things to relieve some of the cap strain with some high paid vets... Miami will have to do the same only I still feel that QB is uncertain.  I think the Jets situation is this on steroids with a much shorter window.  Either way I believe we are better positioned for the future then either of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:55 PM, JohnNord said:

I don’t get how Miami can be spending this much money on QB and 2 WRs without being in cap hell

because the cap hit doesn’t catch up for a couple years. We totally should’ve done the same early in Josh’s career 

5 minutes ago, Lost said:

Hill's contract doesn't seem all that bad when we're paying $28 million this year for a receiver we don't even have..

The Diggs extension was a mistake, yes. And the hit is egregious. But he's off the team (some will say good; many will say bad) this season and off the books after this season. It still doesn't make paying 34-year-old Hill top dollar a smart move.

Edited by Nephilim17

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

The Diggs extension was a mistake, yes. And the hit is egregious. But he's off the team (some will say good; many will say bad) this season and off the books after this season. It still doesn't make paying 34-year-old Hill top dollar a smart move.

This is borderline the same mistake.  They'll run into cap trouble and have their own 30M plus dead money hit when they move hill.  

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

This is borderline the same mistake.  They'll run into cap trouble and have their own 30M plus dead money hit when they move hill.  

Difference is ALL the guaranteed money accelerates to the year a player is cut/traded. And Hills is guaranteed $105 million over four years.I think he'll be great this year, maybe year two but doubt he'll be anywhere close to good value in year three. If the guaranteed money is pro-rated that will be over $50 million at the start of year three. A lot more than the Diggs hit.

Maybe Hill will be an outlier as a speed WR and still be elite at 33 or even 34. We'll see.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/dolphins-restructure-tyreek-hill-s-contract-to-include-record-in-guaranteed-money/ar-AA1obt5B

27 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Difference is ALL the guaranteed money accelerates to the year a player is cut/traded. And Hills is guaranteed $105 million over four years.I think he'll be great this year, maybe year two but doubt he'll be anywhere close to good value in year three. If the guaranteed money is pro-rated that will be over $50 million at the start of year three. A lot more than the Diggs hit.

Maybe Hill will be an outlier as a speed WR and still be elite at 33 or even 34. We'll see.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/dolphins-restructure-tyreek-hill-s-contract-to-include-record-in-guaranteed-money/ar-AA1obt5B

Its not even... if he's still good.  It's can you continue to sustain your roster with that contract on the books.  I'll have to see how its structured - but they got big cap hits for Tua, Hill, Waddle coming very quickly. Even with them on their smaller cap hits in 2023 they lost their best lineman on both sides of the ball (hunt and wilkins).  Their last 22/23 drafts have essentialy netted a speed running back so there aren't cheap reinforcements on the horizon.  Many of the picks they netted during their tank for tua roster deconstruction were used to get Chubb, Hill, and Ramsey.  

Armstead is 33 and his cap hits escalate (10M in 2023 to 22M in 2024) - you can kick the can, but he already has void years and he'll be 34.

Chubb is 28 and his cap hit escalates from 15.8M to 29.3 next year.  He's coming off a week 17 ACL injury and will start this year on the PUP or on IR or something.  

Phillips is at 4.4M and his option goes up to 13.25, he will want an extension.  It's going to be a challenge to extend him and keep chubb.  Drafted robinson to hopefully replace one of them.  

Holland is a UFA this year, and tagging him kills your cap space.  He's a great player but he'll want to get paid.  

Ramsey is 30, his cap hit goes from 8M to 26.2M.  He has void money that projects to a 18.5M cap hit in 2026 and can be moved into a new deal if you want to extend a 32 year old CB.    

Fuller is 29 and his hit goes from 2.5 to 8.5.  4M is 2026 void money that can be folded in if you want to extend a 31 year old corner.  

It's coming to a point where the team is getting old, they haven't won anything, and you have to decide which pieces to extend and which ones to walk away from.  The issue is the 1st rounders used in trades for hill, Ramsey and Chubb are sunk cost, and trading any of these players in the future accelerates dead money and provides far less of a trade return.  

42 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Its not even... if he's still good.  It's can you continue to sustain your roster with that contract on the books.  I'll have to see how its structured - but they got big cap hits for Tua, Hill, Waddle coming very quickly. Even with them on their smaller cap hits in 2023 they lost their best lineman on both sides of the ball (hunt and wilkins).  Their last 22/23 drafts have essentialy netted a speed running back so there aren't cheap reinforcements on the horizon.  Many of the picks they netted during their tank for tua roster deconstruction were used to get Chubb, Hill, and Ramsey.  

Armstead is 33 and his cap hits escalate (10M in 2023 to 22M in 2024) - you can kick the can, but he already has void years and he'll be 34.

Chubb is 28 and his cap hit escalates from 15.8M to 29.3 next year.  He's coming off a week 17 ACL injury and will start this year on the PUP or on IR or something.  

Phillips is at 4.4M and his option goes up to 13.25, he will want an extension.  It's going to be a challenge to extend him and keep chubb.  Drafted robinson to hopefully replace one of them.  

Holland is a UFA this year, and tagging him kills your cap space.  He's a great player but he'll want to get paid.  

Ramsey is 30, his cap hit goes from 8M to 26.2M.  He has void money that projects to a 18.5M cap hit in 2026 and can be moved into a new deal if you want to extend a 32 year old CB.    

Fuller is 29 and his hit goes from 2.5 to 8.5.  4M is 2026 void money that can be folded in if you want to extend a 31 year old corner.  

It's coming to a point where the team is getting old, they haven't won anything, and you have to decide which pieces to extend and which ones to walk away from.  The issue is the 1st rounders used in trades for hill, Ramsey and Chubb are sunk cost, and trading any of these players in the future accelerates dead money and provides far less of a trade return.  

Didn't know about the escalating contracts for those guys. Seems like Miami will be in trouble. Which I like.

At any rate, a 30 and under Tyreek didn't cause us too much trouble with the Phins so I'm not afraid of a 31 and aging Tyreek with the Phins. On KC, it's a far different story, but not the Phins.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

lol Phins are going to be in cap hell in a few years.  should be fun.   wheres the money to fix their defense?

Yep. And let's be honest- Where is the money to fix their offence in december, onwards haha

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gordong said:

so waddle got 104 million

tua got 220 million

baby maker got 90.  

over 400 million for three players.. ouch

I honestly wonder if the Bengals could even do that.  That’s one reason I fear them a little less in the long term. 

Edited by Augie