Bills are NFL’s most popular franchise worldwide? Really?

Stampede

It's primarily the Bills Mafia effect, IMO.   Wild fan behavior gets spread on media/social media around the world and that's how a lot of foreigners learn about the Bills.    People in all cultures seek out the "communitas" from sport.........like a lot of you nerds who weren't even Bills fans until you moved away from WNY. :lol:

Having travelled to 34 countries and worn Bills gear in most all of them, I am never surprised by how many people give me a “Go Bills” or have a friendly and positive conversation about our team. 

Davante Adams sure called out a lot of people…

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Having travelled to 34 countries and worn Bills gear in most all of them, I am never surprised by how many people give me a “Go Bills” or have a friendly and positive conversation about our team. 

It’s funny, I’m in the NC mountains with my wife and put on a Bills shirt for the first time this morning. I went into the kitchen to find my wife happens to be wearing a “Married Into This” Bills tee shirt. I bet there is at LEAST one “Go Bills” in our future today. 

EDIT: And I’m going to a bistro with a Bills Mafia pizza! Gotta check that out, right? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Billl said:

Makes sense to me.  Lots of people in third world countries grew up wearing Bills championship gear.

Can anyone find photos?  I could have sworn I've seen pics of this but can't find them online.

An urban myth???

22 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I was in the Baltimore airport 2 weeks ago and saw a woman in a Bills hat drinking a beer.  It was 6:30 in the morning.  🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, amprov56 said:

I have been in twenty - nine countries, over thirty states, and have lived out of state since 1979, the Bills are a very popular team. We probably have more people on TBD who dislike the Bills than the US at large!

23 countries, 46 states...  I agree.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billl said:

I was in the Baltimore airport 2 weeks ago and saw a woman in a Bills hat drinking a beer.  It was 6:30 in the morning.  🤣

I was in one of the Delta Clubs in Atlanta (terminal B) a few weeks ago.  A woman was at the bar, Bills shirt, Bills hat, Bills bag.  Can't remember if she had Zubaz on also.  

21 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Although a bit of an excessive comment on the original authors post, Actually he/she is correct.  I used to travel extensively to some pretty impoverished countries, Coot De Ivoire, Nigeria, Venezuela, Columbia and sad to to say, in some of the most remote of towns I would see Bills gear, especially T-Shirts proclaiming we were super Bowl champions.

Did you try to buy them from the person wearing them?  

5 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

For all his faults, you have to give the other Brandon some credit for somehow selling all the rust belt nostalgia underdog story through the endless drought years. In 2010, we were 0-8, Chan is the coach, Fitzpatrick is the starting QB, and we are playing Detroit at home. The game is a sellout!  How did that happen…crazy.  

I wouldn't give old Brandon too much credit...despite making regionalization a big push during his tenure, I think he gave himself way too much credit. It always bothered me when he or the media gave him credit for building the Rochester fanbase. I grew up in Rochester in the 70s and 80s...the whole city rooted for the Bills back then (pre-Kelly era too), except for your couple of friends who just liked to be contrarians, and so they rooted for the Dolphins. I remember driving from Rochester to Fredonia for training camps or to games in Orchard Park and the Thruway was bumper to bumper with Bills fans. I wouldn't be surprised if people in Southern Ontario feel the same. And the whole Toronto thing was a bust. Maybe he can claim he pushed the fanbase slightly farther north into Canada and slightly farther East into central New York, but he also took credit for building bases that already existed. I love that camp is now in Rochester and the setup at St. John Fisher is great, so I give him credit for that. But Rochester was always Bills country (at least from the mid-70s on---Brandon didn't arrive in Buffalo until 2006).

As to the OP's link: I find it interesting that, excluding Greenland, the Bills own the Northern latitudes, the Chiefs own a lot of the Southern Hemisphere, and the Cowboys rule the middle/Equatorial Zone. I also find it interesting why certain places in the world root for a particular team, when that team isn't dominant elsewhere. Like why are Mongolia and Mali Browns fans? Why are Australians Broncos fans? Why are the Steelers only popular in Nambia, the Cardinals in Vietnam, and Tampa Bay in the Philippines? I'm sure there must be reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/3/2024 at 2:54 PM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Red, White, and Blue. The most successful color scheme in human history. 

According the the France military.

There is also a cool survey that shows that the Jets are not the most popular NFL in any county in the country.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/4/2024 at 1:55 PM, Just Jack said:

I was in one of the Delta Clubs in Atlanta (terminal B) a few weeks ago.  A woman was at the bar, Bills shirt, Bills hat, Bills bag.  Can't remember if she had Zubaz on also.  

Did you try to buy them from the person wearing them?  

never crossed my mid, the shirts were "heavily worn", i would not want it if they were given to me.

How can anyone not root for the Bills?

It's like the Cubs used to be in baseball.  You have to be kind of a sadist to hope a fanbase continues to experience heartbreak after heartbreak.  

• Agree 1

On 8/3/2024 at 11:54 AM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Red, White, and Blue. The most successful color scheme in human history. 

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

According to the France military.

Reminds me of the old joke, "Why is the Champs Elysees lined by large oak trees?

31 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Reminds me of the old joke, "Why is the Champs Elysees lined by large oak trees?

So the Germans can march in the shade.

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

So the Germans can march in the shade.

How can you identify a French Army Knife?

• Like (+1) 1