Any Gable Steveson updates?

I just randomly remembered he was on the Bills and checked google but didn’t see anything on him. I’ve been checking the training camp tweets everyday but don’t remember ever seeing any updates on Steveson. Very curious if this is a guy that has a chance of making the roster or is just a P squad stash candidate

Can't imagine he will make the roster.  Likely an experiment to see if he has the aptitude and can be stashed on the PS while he learns football.

• Agree 2

Babich talked about him either yesterday or the day before. Gave him some praise, said of course he’d understand leverage since he got a gold medal for it. Said he’s been doing pretty well, but wants to see how it translates to games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Babich said he is "coming along nicely". Which means in coach speak, he isn't any where close to even being on a practice squad right now, but he is way better than he thought a person who never played would be.

“Gable’s doing a nice job,” Babich said. “If you think about it, he’s never put shoulder pads on before. We have a couple guys on the team, one of the coaches was joking around, I think we have two guys that have never worn shoulder pads. He’s done a nice job, he’s got to continue to grow. He’s extremely powerful, as we can all imagine, in more of a compact body. He’s very strong. He’s very strong, he understands leverage obviously. We know that, he won a gold medal for leverage. He’s doing a nice job, I’m excited to see him in-game action.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-bobby-babich-gable-steveson-training-camp

• Thank you (+1) 1

What I don’t understand is, what was the point of signing him to a three-year contract versus the typical one-year deals most players sign?

The Bills coaches have to know that Gable was a long term project and likely not going to make the roster this season.  But if they cut him and re-sign him to the PS it’s a one-year deal again. 

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What I don’t understand is, what was the point of signing him to a three-year contract versus the typical one-year deals most players sign?

The Bills coaches have to know that Gable was a long term project and likely not going to make the roster this season.  But if they cut him and re-sign him to the PS it’s a one-year deal again. 

I'd have to imagine it makes it more likely he'd clear waivers.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/2/2024 at 4:09 PM, yall said:

Even if he makes the PS, that's quite an accomplishment for someone who until a few weeks ago had never worn shoulder pads.

I think there is a pretty decent chance he ends up on the PS.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

They can still stash him on IR if he gets injured during the summer and still have him under contract for 2 years.

11 hours ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

They can still stash him on IR if he gets injured during the summer and still have him under contract for 2 years.

I see a hamstring problem in his future. 

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

What does it matter?  It's not guaranteed money and like you said once you cut him he can sign with anyone he wants to.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He’s only here because McDermott loves the wrasslers. 

A very weird waste of everyone’s time. 

This!