Recession is upon us - disastrous economic data

13 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Well now that’s interesting, I was assured it was because Biden was hitting the “economy bad” button 

Hmmm.   Interesting.   So what were their profit margins for 2023?

I guess that’s why this is just a screenshot and not an article 

Raking in the profits!!!!!!

Regardless of the effect of corporate profit maximization on inflation, The Other 98%’s post is factually inaccurate: Publix’s net income plateaued in 2023 and Kroger’s decreased.

In corporate accounting, net income—also called net earnings—refers to a company’s bottom line, meaning the total amount of money a business makes after subtracting all costs incurred during the year. In 2023, Publix’s net income increased only from $4.05 billion to $4.09 billion year-over-year, or a 0.1 percent increase.

Kroger’s financial statements report an even steeper decline in 2023 profits. The company recorded a 3.6 percent decrease in net income 25 percent decrease in operating profits during 2023. Like Publix, its operating profit as a percentage of sales also decreased, falling from 2.78 percent in 2022 to 2.06 percent in 2023

https://thedispatch.com/article/claims-about-increased-profits-by-kroger-and-publix-are-false/#:~:text=Kroger's financial statements report an,in operating profits during 2023.

This economy has been a solid disaster for 90 percent of the country for over 2 plus years.   

And they’ve lied and gaslit you the whole time.  

But hey vote for VP Siri!  The algorithm working for you!   

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Well now that’s interesting, I was assured it was because Biden was hitting the “economy bad” button 

This is no great revelation. The price of Eggs rose higher than the rate of inflation due to specific factors impacting the Egg market like Bird Flu outbreaks constraining supply.

In general, the cost of various goods rise and fall based on some common and unique factors. At different rates.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, K D said:

Houses about to get another artificial bump up. Lower interest rates + Kamala free 25k.

my speculation is that lower rates will actually lead to lower house prices, more supply hits a market of overleveraged consumers 

we’ll see

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OrangeBills said:

my speculation is that lower rates will actually lead to lower house prices, more supply hits a market of overleveraged consumers 

we’ll see

Eventually but it will take time. Spring 2025 should be wild. There's still a housing shortage. Will people with 3% rates be willing to give them up and move for ~6% rates. Some will but many still won't I think

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

So what were Krogers profits in 2023?

Love this tweet.  Apparently commies had no problem with food costs only MAGA was “whining.”  Pathetic.  

Again, might want to read a few posts up.  

• Like (+1) 1

So... finding ways to make more money, for people whose job it is to do just that, is out of the realm of possibilities for some here?  And greed is never a factor?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

https://ir.kroger.com/news/news-details/2024/Kroger-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-and-Full-Year-2023-Results-Announces-Guidance-for-2024/default.aspx

In 2023, the company recorded an operating profit of $4.47 billion, down from $4.76 billion in 2022. Its operating profit as a percentage of sales—which measures how much profit a business makes on average per dollar of sales—saw a similar decrease from 8.7 percent in 2022 to 7.8 percent in 2023.

Shooting down the Albertson's/Kroger merger is a no-brainer. The grocery retail sector is already highly concentrated, and this is the classic antitrust situation.

Go Kamala!

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Love this tweet.  Apparently commies had no problem with food costs only MAGA was “whining.”  Pathetic.  

Again, might want to read a few posts up.  

I’m not reading anything you post. That was a Kroger exec, that admitted to price gouging. Cry because it doesn’t fit your ***** narrative.

1 hour ago, 4th&long said:

I’m not reading anything you post. That was a Kroger exec, that admitted to price gouging. Cry because it doesn’t fit your ***** narrative.

Sounds like you won’t read the facts bc it doesn’t fit your narrative.  

I posted facts.  You posted a low info headline meant to gaslight you.  

Dispute the facts or sit this one out - your tweet was community noted.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds like you won’t read the facts bc it doesn’t fit your narrative.  

I posted facts.  You posted a low info headline meant to gaslight you.  

Dispute the facts or sit this one out - your tweet was community noted.  

I see no community notes on that tweet.

3 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Lol.  The trolls are still pushing the grocery store gouging lie.  They have lower margins than most sectors. 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-map

Not a peep on the wall Street and investment groups pulling 10 to 50 percent profit. 

For decades, the 1% wealthy elites, like a sponge soaking up all the water have been systematically strip-mining wealth from the 99% with the assistance of the political class. And the focus of a party platform is on grocery store margins in a time of high inflation. Its distraction from the root cause of the problem at the highest possible level.

Maybe distraction is required because all those billionaire's managing and owning 3-5 trillion dollar hedge funds are big party donors and supporters? Maybe they're big donors because they know the majority of the professional political class are full-time grifters and thieves that can be bought for what amounts relatively, when compared to the great treasure trove of wealth is a few pennies? 

Follow the money and it all becomes clear. Follow the word of politicians and you'll be lead down the path of illusions.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

For decades, the 1% wealthy elites, like a sponge soaking up all the water have been systematically strip-mining wealth from the 99% with the assistance of the political class. And the focus of a party platform is on grocery store margins in a time of high inflation. Its distraction from the root cause of the problem at the highest possible level.

Maybe distraction is required because all those billionaire's managing and owning 3-5 trillion dollar hedge funds are big party donors and supporters? Maybe they're big donors because they know the majority of the professional political class are full-time grifters and thieves that can be bought for what amounts relatively, when compared to the great treasure trove of wealth is a few pennies? 

Follow the money and it all becomes clear. Follow the word of politicians and you'll be lead down the path of illusions.

Since you are not a grifter or thief, maybe you should run for office.  

Edited by Starr-Bills
Siri may pick the VP, but it makes a lot of typos

5 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

Since you are not a grifter or thief, maybe you should run for office.  

That might be a good idea. Maybe you should run too?

And maybe you can help by explaining how people enter political life without much in the way of assets, spend 20+ years in Washington paid a modest salary for their services, along the way produce no obvious goods or services they sell to anyone, but somehow manage to leave office in great financial shape?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

That might be a good idea. Maybe you should run too?

And maybe you can help by explaining how people enter political life without much in the way of assets, spend 20+ years in Washington paid a modest salary for their services, along the way produce no obvious goods or services they sell to anyone, but somehow manage to leave office in great financial shape?

Maybe I already have. 

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

Maybe you just don't want to say it. Right Billsy?

Calling me Billy’s just makes you an unserious person who can’t handle reality. 
‘let’s just say I’m not recommending anything that I wouldn’t or haven’t done already. 

• Eyeroll 1