Recession is upon us - disastrous economic data

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Allow me to summarize. It's the old "I may not like his demeanor, but I liked all of his policies."

Even as to the handling of COVID there's nothing specific. I imagine you'll say his sole mistake was to allow any shutdowns whatsoever.

Is it wrong to dislike someone and view them as unworthy of the office of president?

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here's what I mean by disagreeing with a specific policy (me with Biden):

- I think his student loan forgiveness plans are an overstretch, likely unconstitutional, and bad economic policy.

- I think his final COVID relief plan was counterproductive

Hell, I’ll add one. His foreign policy is very poor, as bad as Obama’s is. He’s never held a consistent tune with Ukraine, for instance. Too many delays, broken promises of aid, and so forth.

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No.

But really? Every substantive policy of his, every executive order or decision, all of them were just wonderful?

Where did you get that from? Me saying I had no heartburn with his tenure equates to every substantive policy, every executive order and decision being “just wonderful”? Who are you, Redhawk? 

I wasn’t a big fan of rolling back overtime pay below Obama era guidelines though it was no impact to me or my immediate family. Changes/restrictions to the H-1B program was a miss in my book. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So to be clear for all the right wing nut jobs who are celebrating. We are not actually in a recession? All this was over fears of a recession? You’re celebrating and exposing yourselves for who you really are over nothing. That’s great.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 4th&long said:

So to be clear for all the right wing nut jobs who are celebrating. We are not actually in a recession? All this was over fears of a recession? You’re celebrating and exposing yourselves for who you really are over nothing. That’s great.

We’re in a recession.

The markets are volatile because of the rates but also because job and growth data in the U.S. are getting worse.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Crazy to think that the US can finance 33 trillion in debt and run up 2 trillion/year budget deficit by instituting some wacky new policy that makes investment in US Treasuries less appealing.

"You can buy dollar denominated debt, but we're going to somehow limit your ability to sell what you bought and own."

Just simply dumb.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We’re in a recession.

The markets are volatile because of the rates but also because job and growth data in the U.S. are getting worse.  

Fears of a recession. Job growth numbers were not what they expected. That’s it. The stock  market has been soaring for a year and a half. If someone didn’t expect a bit of a correction somewhere along the way that’s because you don’t know anything about the stock market. And japans market almost fully recovered in one day.

6 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Fears of a recession. Job growth numbers were not what they expected. That’s it. The stock  market has been soaring for a year and a half. If someone didn’t expect a bit of a correction somewhere along the way that’s because you don’t know anything about the stock market. And japans market almost fully recovered in one day.

Let’s see where we’re at by Friday and of course beyond.  The bloodbath from the last 3 days is a bigger deal than Japan’s market response today.  

This could simply be the temporary Bear Bounce.  

And yes we’re in recession.  Biden redefining that changes nothing.  

The stock market doesn’t need to tell us that but since the little people are struggling to afford anything a potential crash of the economy could be devastating. 

No one has answers.  And Harris is hiding. 

• Like (+1) 1

Journal entry August 6th 2024, the second day of the great recession and the belt tightening is getting severe, will only be able to afford one Americano from Starbucks today.  When will this suffering end?

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Let’s see where we’re at by Friday and of course beyond.  The bloodbath from the last 3 days is a bigger deal than Japan’s market response today.  

This could simply be the temporary Bear Bounce.  

And yes we’re in recession.  Biden redefining that changes nothing.  

The stock market doesn’t need to tell us that but since the little people are struggling to afford anything a potential crash of the economy could be devastating. 

No one has answers.  And Harris is hiding. 

I don’t listen to Biden saying we are or we are not in a recession. I don’t listen to politicians for this kind of stuff. Medical advice, from a doctor. Financial advice from my money manager. I’ll wait to hear from an economist on weather we are in a recession. Not some dude on a message board who is rooting for it.

From what I heard without even looking into it too much yet is the Fed could meet early (supposed to meet in September) to lower rates to prevent a recession.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Who else bought yesterday.  I guess the economic meltdown is over.  On to the next sensationalized crisis. Irv made a mess in his portfolio. 

I don't think its over. We'll get the typical bounce at the open but I don't think the average close up today.  If the Fed doesn't meet expectations of some inter-meeting rate cut before their September meeting you can bet the farm the market is going to throw another big downside temper tantrum. I'm holding lots of cash now along with some patience to wait it out.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1